Mailing List Archive

PXE Linux and EFI....or Intel MACs
Has anyone gotten PXELinux to work on the Intel Imacs or other EFI Based
Systems?

Re: PXE Linux and EFI....or Intel MACs [ In reply to ]
Jacob Alifrangis wrote:
> Has anyone gotten PXELinux to work on the Intel Imacs or other EFI Based
> Systems?

Not I. I haven't had a chance to invest to much time into it though.

One thing I found, with ppc, and early? (haven't tested anything
recently) intel machines did not respect the next-server directive.
Netbooting wouldn't work at all unless the dhcp server and tftp server
were running on the same host.

I am still quite interested in getting this working, but I am not a
programmer.

-A

Re: PXE Linux and EFI....or Intel MACs [ In reply to ]
That doesn't seem to be the case with the intel Macs,

I believe that the Intel MACs boot code needs to receive a BSDP Packet
(Boot Service Discovery Protocol). I think that With some trying I can
get this to work, I'll keep you updated (It's going to involve some
crafy .net programming though)

Re: PXE Linux and EFI....or Intel MACs [ In reply to ]

Jacob Alifrangis wrote:
> That doesn't seem to be the case with the intel Macs,
>
> I believe that the Intel MACs boot code needs to receive a BSDP Packet
> (Boot Service Discovery Protocol). I think that With some trying I can
> get this to work, I'll keep you updated (It's going to involve some
> crafy .net programming though)

Please post at the bottom, it makes reading the digest, etc easier.

To make sure I was clear, it seemed to be an issue with at least the
earlier firmware on the intel line. I did just test it with a recent mbp
and it worked fine.
Have you got your macs netbooting? If you haven't got that far, I can
try to dig up some of the information I found / used to be able to
netboot NetRestore.. but that bypasses syslinux.

-A

Re: PXE Linux and EFI....or Intel MACs [ In reply to ]
The problem is that we are trying to deploy windows to the new MBPs, so
the apple stuff really isn't going to work.

I need to be able to start syslinux and do the regular RIS/WDS stuff.

Re: PXE Linux and EFI....or Intel MACs [ In reply to ]

Jacob Alifrangis wrote:
> The problem is that we are trying to deploy windows to the new MBPs, so
> the apple stuff really isn't going to work.
>
> I need to be able to start syslinux and do the regular RIS/WDS stuff.
Not sure if this will work for you, but check out NetRestore.
http://www.bombich.com/software/netrestore.html
It supports deploying of windows. The reason I am not sure, is I don't
know if you can deploy just windows, and I don't know if it supports
Leopard yet.

Unless you know something I don't, loading Windows on a mac without 'the
apple stuff' is not possible at this time. If I recall correctly
Microsoft removed
EFI support from their products with the exclusion of ia64 branches. It
is my understanding, that you will *require* bootcamp to support
windows, but again, I haven't kept up on that.

-A

Re: PXE Linux and EFI....or Intel MACs [ In reply to ]
Apple has a BCM (BIOS Compatibility Module) in its Firmware, so you can
boot a regular X86 Operating system just fine from CD or HDD, what you
cannot do however, is boot from LAN in the BCM.

Partly because there is no PXE Undi Code in the BCM and partly because
Etherboot (Rom-O-Matic.net) does not support the Marvell Yukon Chipsets.

The problem is that Netrestore and Netboot for that matter need to be
running on a MAC or OSX Server for that matter. I'm not going to buy a
mac server OS (Don't want to manage it) and I'm not going to buy a mini
for the sake of doing netrestore.

Netrestore is free and open source, so maybe I can pick out the good
bits and hack something up to get pxelinux working.