Mailing List Archive

syslinux does not interpret backslash
Hello list,

while I managed to install syslinux and have it boot,
there seems to be
a problem with interpreting filenames. It looks for
files in /boot but
at the same time does not realize that the "/" is not
part of the
filename. It prompts me with boot: then every filename
I type is set to
2 characters "." 3 characters i.e vmlinuz would appear
as vm.lin. To me
it looks like syslinux uses /boot/ as part of the
filename here ( 6
characters )

Not sure whether I am missing something here, or
whether this migh be a
subtle bug.

The stick is 1GB ha one partition set by parted
(msdos) and formatted
with mkfs.vfat, then initialized with syslinux
/dev/xyz

Thanks for any helpful insight,

Casual

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
Re: syslinux does not interpret backslash [ In reply to ]
Op 18-01-2008 om 02:59 schreef Casual Programmer:
> Hello list,
>
> while I managed to install syslinux and have it boot, there seems to be
> a problem with interpreting filenames. It looks for files in /boot but
> at the same time does not realize that the "/" is not part of the
> filename. It prompts me with boot: then every filename I type is set to
> 2 characters "." 3 characters i.e vmlinuz would appear as vm.lin. To me
> it looks like syslinux uses /boot/ as part of the filename here ( 6
> characters )
>
> Not sure whether I am missing something here,
> or whether this migh be a subtle bug.

I would go for the first option.

> The stick is 1GB ha one partition set by parted (msdos) and formatted
> with mkfs.vfat, then initialized with syslinux /dev/xyz
>
> Thanks for any helpful insight,

insight is allways helpfull.

Where I do my best, I'm completely lost by the above message.

For me is a backslash the \ character.
Backslash is in the subject line, but nowhere in the message body.

> It prompts me with boot: then every filename I type

At the boot prompt has a LABEL to be typed.

The syslinux website says at http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php

| Since version 3.32 label names are no longer mangled into DOS
| format (for SYSLINUX.)

Could a syslinux from before 3.32 used?

> The stick is 1GB ha one partition set by parted (msdos)
> and formatted with mkfs.vfat,

So only less then 5% of the capacity of the stick is used.
I would go for EXTLINUX and use to full gigabyte.

Cheers
Geert Stappers

Re: syslinux does not interpret backslash [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the fast reply,

>For me is a backslash the \ character.
>Backslash is in the subject line, but nowhere in the
message body.

Alas I got confused here, please read "backslash" as
"slash"

>> It prompts me with boot: then every filename I type

>At the boot prompt has a LABEL to be typed.

>> i.e vmlinuz would appear as vm.lin. To me

>The syslinux website says at
http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php

>| Since version 3.32 label names are no longer
mangled into DOS format
>| (for SYSLINUX.)
>
>Could a syslinux from before 3.32 used?

Good point, I will check that.

>> The stick is 1GB ha one partition set by parted
(msdos) and formatted
>> with mkfs.vfat,

>So only less then 5% of the capacity of the stick is
used.
>I would go for EXTLINUX and use to full gigabyte.

Actually not, with FAT32 the full capacity is
available.

Casual

traffic.

Re: syslinux does not interpret backslash [ In reply to ]
Casual Programmer wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> while I managed to install syslinux and have it boot,
> there seems to be
> a problem with interpreting filenames. It looks for
> files in /boot but
> at the same time does not realize that the "/" is not
> part of the
> filename. It prompts me with boot: then every filename
> I type is set to
> 2 characters "." 3 characters i.e vmlinuz would appear
> as vm.lin. To me
> it looks like syslinux uses /boot/ as part of the
> filename here ( 6
> characters )
>
> Not sure whether I am missing something here, or
> whether this migh be a
> subtle bug.

I tried it with the current version of syslinux (3.61-pre2), and I
cannot reproduce this failure.

-hpa

Re: syslinux does not interpret backslash [ In reply to ]
Thank you, hpa,

I was using the openSuSE supplied rpm which is at
3.31-76. Considering
your and rest of lists feedback, I decided to make it
myself as well as
switch to EXTLINUX. It seems that with EXTLINUX I can
boot some hitherto
unusable sticks with 2048 byte sectors.

Thanks for providing this useful project.

Casual