Mailing List Archive

crazy isolinux bug?- cmdline truncated only on vaio vgn-n250e
Ok, this is crazy, but I have a livedvd I created with fedora-8's

syslinux-3.36-7.fc8

and when I boot under qemu ( -boot d -cdrom /dev/dvd) it boots just
fine, but when I boot it on the actual hardware (vaio vgn-n250e), the
kernel cmdline gets truncated at about the 99th character, causing problems.

The same exact physical livedvd booted on a different box does not get
truncated.

The stock fedora f8 livecd on the vaio does not get truncated (even when
I make the cmdline ridiculously long).

I'm pretty sure prior (and probably subsequent) livedvds have not had
this problem.

Anything I should do to help determine if this is an isolinux, or a
hardware bug? I ran memtest86 for a little while and it didn't fail.

-dmc

Re: crazy isolinux bug?- cmdline truncated only on vaio vgn-n250e [ In reply to ]
Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Ok, this is crazy, but I have a livedvd I created with fedora-8's
>
> syslinux-3.36-7.fc8
>
> and when I boot under qemu ( -boot d -cdrom /dev/dvd) it boots just
> fine, but when I boot it on the actual hardware (vaio vgn-n250e), the
> kernel cmdline gets truncated at about the 99th character, causing problems.
>
> The same exact physical livedvd booted on a different box does not get
> truncated.
>
> The stock fedora f8 livecd on the vaio does not get truncated (even when
> I make the cmdline ridiculously long).
>
> I'm pretty sure prior (and probably subsequent) livedvds have not had
> this problem.
>
> Anything I should do to help determine if this is an isolinux, or a
> hardware bug? I ran memtest86 for a little while and it didn't fail.

Could you upgrade isolinux to either 3.55 or 3.60? There was a bug fix
in 3.50 which may have this result.

-hpa