Mailing List Archive

Problem with memdisk and DOS on USB
I'm new to memdisk and I wanted to have multiple floppy boot images on
my USB key, I installed GRUB2 as the boot loader and have memdisk in
/syslinux and my images in /image, I first tried booting normal
images, memtest86+ works, my linux kernel work and they boot
perfectly.
Now using memdisk, I tried booting Spinrite which uses FreeDOS, it
booted fine with no argument them frozen at querying what disks are
available, I assumed it was a bit much for memdisk.
Then I tried DOS 6.22, in every way I tried, it ends at "Please insert
a system disk and press any key to continue...", I tried all the way
from memdisk-3.54 to 2.13 and 1.76 freezes at Booting.
Finally I had a Windows ME boot image, tried with memdisk-3.52, it
does not boot, I added safeint, and everything works! At last! Using
raw/bigraw make it stop at "Starting Windows Millenium Recovery...",
but with safeint it seems to be working perfectly.

I would like to add that for every image I tried, I tried to use
safeint, raw and bigraw, and after hours of trying, I'm giving up. I
also tried loading it from GRUB Legacy, with the same results. Is it
my Laptop's BIOS (HP NX6310), USB boot, any idea?

Thank you for your responses.

Re: Problem with memdisk and DOS on USB [ In reply to ]
Jérôme Poulin wrote:

> I would like to add that for every image I tried, I tried to use
> safeint, raw and bigraw, and after hours of trying, I'm giving up. I
> also tried loading it from GRUB Legacy, with the same results. Is it
> my Laptop's BIOS (HP NX6310), USB boot, any idea?

Have you tried using syslinux? I really don't have time to second-guess
all the bugs in Grub.

-hpa

Re: Problem with memdisk and DOS on USB [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Jérôme Poulin wrote:
>> I would like to add that for every image I tried, I tried to use
>> safeint, raw and bigraw, and after hours of trying, I'm giving up. I
>> also tried loading it from GRUB Legacy, with the same results. Is it
>> my Laptop's BIOS (HP NX6310), USB boot, any idea?
>
> Have you tried using syslinux? I really don't have time to second-guess
> all the bugs in Grub.

That being said, I think what you're seeing is an interaction between
your laptop's USB BIOS and memdisk, but I don't know for sure.

-hpa

Re: Problem with memdisk and DOS on USB [ In reply to ]
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> writes:

> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Jérôme Poulin wrote:
>>> I would like to add that for every image I tried, I tried to use
>>> safeint, raw and bigraw, and after hours of trying, I'm giving up. I
>>> also tried loading it from GRUB Legacy, with the same results. Is it
>>> my Laptop's BIOS (HP NX6310), USB boot, any idea?
>>
>> Have you tried using syslinux? I really don't have time to second-guess
>> all the bugs in Grub.
>
> That being said, I think what you're seeing is an interaction between
> your laptop's USB BIOS and memdisk, but I don't know for sure.

I guess it may be the same problem I hit recently and posted to the
list with subject 'memdisk boot failure'. I still have this problem
and started to suspect it's some kind of geometry problem. Booting in
QEMU gives me a couple of warnings in the FreeDOS (1.1.35, build
2035b-cvs) InitDisk phase:

- InitDiskWARNING: using suspect partition Pri:1 FS 06: with calculated values
0-0-50 instead of 0-1-1
WARNING: using suspect partition Pri:1 FS 06: with calculated values 990-31-63
instead of 1023-23-49
C: HD1, Pri[ 1], CHS= 0-0-50, start= 0 MB, size= 1950 MB

fdisk on the pendrive gives:

Disk /dev/sda: 2045 MB, 2045247488 bytes
24 heads, 49 sectors/track, 3396 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1176 * 512 = 602112 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 3396 1996823+ 6 FAT16

I tried changing the partition Id to 0e, but that didn't help.

minfo from mtools prints this:

device information:
===================
filename="/dev/sda1"
sectors per track: 49
heads: 24
cylinders: 3396

mformat command line: mformat -t 3396 -h 24 -s 49 -H 49 u:

bootsector information
======================
banner:"MTOOL399"
sector size: 512 bytes
cluster size: 64 sectors
reserved (boot) sectors: 1
fats: 2
max available root directory slots: 512
small size: 0 sectors
media descriptor byte: 0xf8
sectors per fat: 244
sectors per track: 49
heads: 24
hidden sectors: 49
big size: 3993647 sectors
physical drive id: 0x0
reserved=0x0
dos4=0x29
serial number: 6766C6CC
disk label="NO NAME "
disk type="FAT16 "

I booted Finnix (small live Linux distro) from the same pendrive,
modprobed edd and checked the int13 info under /sys/firmware/edd. The
default values were 1024/16/63 and the legacy maximums 1023/15/63.
This last piece is the only info which is specific to my BIOS, which
simply freezes booting FreeDOS after printing InitDisk.

I will try booting under other BIOSes as I get to it, but maybe you
can find something in the haystack above. Perhaps it's not even a
memdisk but a DOS bug, which loops encountering some strange artifical
geometry... I don't know.
Feri.

Re: Problem with memdisk and DOS on USB [ In reply to ]
Sorry for the delayed response, I though delay were longuer than that
and went to sleep, thanks for the fast response.
I just tried with syslinux with the same results, here is a listing
now that I have two computers to proceed:

After some confusion with forgetting to use 8.3 names, I finally typed:
syslinux: /memdisk safeint initrd=/dos622.img

It started...
Ramdisk at 0x3f5000000
command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/memdisk safeint initrd=/dos622.img
Disk is floppy 0, 1440 K, C/H/S = 80/2/18, EDD off
Using safe INT 15h access to high memory
Total size needed = 2459 bytes, allocating 3K
Old dos memory at 0x9f000 (map saus 0x9f000), loading at 0x9e400
1588: 0xffff 15E801: 0x3c00 0x3e50
INT 13 08: Success, count = 2, BPT = 9f00:0614
old: int13 = 9f00000a int15 = 9f00037c
new: int13 = 9e40000a int15 = 9e40037c

Non-System disk or disk error
Replace and press any key when ready

To setup syslinux I used:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=usb-backup.img bs=1M count=1 # Backed up the old
boot sector and more
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb/lexar/p1
cat /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.img
syslinux /dev/sdb1
umount /mnt/usb/lexar/p1
reboot

I hate DOS :)
Thanks for your help again!

Re: Problem with memdisk and DOS on USB [ In reply to ]
Jérôme Poulin wrote:
> Sorry for the delayed response, I though delay were longuer than that
> and went to sleep, thanks for the fast response.
> I just tried with syslinux with the same results, here is a listing
> now that I have two computers to proceed:
>
> After some confusion with forgetting to use 8.3 names, I finally typed:
> syslinux: /memdisk safeint initrd=/dos622.img
>
> It started...
> Ramdisk at 0x3f5000000
> command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/memdisk safeint initrd=/dos622.img
> Disk is floppy 0, 1440 K, C/H/S = 80/2/18, EDD off
> Using safe INT 15h access to high memory
> Total size needed = 2459 bytes, allocating 3K
> Old dos memory at 0x9f000 (map saus 0x9f000), loading at 0x9e400
> 1588: 0xffff 15E801: 0x3c00 0x3e50
> INT 13 08: Success, count = 2, BPT = 9f00:0614
> old: int13 = 9f00000a int15 = 9f00037c
> new: int13 = 9e40000a int15 = 9e40037c
>
> Non-System disk or disk error
> Replace and press any key when ready

This means that it successfully loaded the boot sector, but that the
bootsector then failed to load IO.SYS. This means something is going
wrong later in the boot process.

For a hard disk image I would have guessed geometry issues, but for a
floppy image the only geometry used should be the one encoded in the
filesystem image. This is rather puzzling.

-hpa

Re: Problem with memdisk and DOS on USB [ In reply to ]
> For a hard disk image I would have guessed geometry issues, but for a
> floppy image the only geometry used should be the one encoded in the
> filesystem image. This is rather puzzling.

Week end finally, I was able to make some test, booting my USB key
under VMWare using it as a Hard Disk (/dev/sdb), it boots DOS 6.22
correctly! With and without safeint.
However, my Windows ME copy is now blocking at "Starting Windows
Millennium Emergency Boot...", not that I care much about ME, but now
I'm wondering if I made everything OK, if needed I can make an image
copy of my USB key.
The partition I boot from is FAT32, I forgot to mention.

Re: Problem with memdisk and DOS on USB [ In reply to ]
Jérôme Poulin wrote:
>> For a hard disk image I would have guessed geometry issues, but for a
>> floppy image the only geometry used should be the one encoded in the
>> filesystem image. This is rather puzzling.
>>

> Week end finally, I was able to make some test, booting my USB key
> under VMWare using it as a Hard Disk (/dev/sdb), it boots DOS 6.22
> correctly! With and without safeint.
> However, my Windows ME copy is now blocking at "Starting Windows
> Millennium Emergency Boot...", not that I care much about ME, but now
> I'm wondering if I made everything OK, if needed I can make an image
> copy of my USB key.
> The partition I boot from is FAT32, I forgot to mention.

WinME (and WinXP, the DOS of which is ME) require "raw", "bigraw" or
possibly "safeint"; this is due to what can best be described as a land
mine in the ME code.

-hpa

Re: Problem with memdisk and DOS on USB [ In reply to ]
> WinME (and WinXP, the DOS of which is ME) require "raw", "bigraw" or
> possibly "safeint"; this is due to what can best be described as a land
> mine in the ME code.

Right, it works with raw/bigraw, not safeint though, however, it still
doesn't help with my laptop not booting them except ME and only with
safeint, every instructions I use is the exact opposite on my laptop
:/ Win ME works with safeint on laptop and not on VM, just like DOS
6.22 works on VM as normal and not at all on laptop.