Mailing List Archive

Unknown keyword in syslinux.cfg
Using versions 3.53 and 3.54, I get that message with the following
configuration file (which is under 8192 bytes) on a USB stick; it's the
configuration file from PCLinuxOS 2007. It was originally named
isolinux.cfg; I changed isolinux.* to syslinux* for booting from USB.
There is no blank line at the end of the file.

It works well with 3.11, but that version doesn't allow me to put all the
files in a /syslinux directory. I suspect the culprit is "gfxboot" --
what can I use instead of it?

=== cut here ===
default livecd
prompt 1
timeout 150
gfxboot bootlogo
label LiveCD
kernel vmlinuz
append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=us splash=silent fstab=rw,noauto
label VideoSafeModeFBDev
kernel vmlinuz
append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=us splash=silent fstab=rw,noauto framebuffer
label VideoSafeModeVesa
kernel vmlinuz
append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=us splash=silent fstab=rw,noauto vesa
label Safeboot
kernel vmlinuz
append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=off vga=normal keyb=us noapic nolapic noscsi nopcmcia
label Console
kernel vmlinuz
append livecd=livecd 3 initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=us splash=silent fstab=rw,noauto
label Copy2ram
kernel vmlinuz
append livecd=livecd copy2ram initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=us splash=silent fstab=rw,noauto splash=verbose
label MediaCheck
kernel vmlinuz
append livecd=livecd md5sum initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=us splash=silent fstab=rw,noauto splash=verbose
label Memtest
kernel memtest
=== cut here ===

--
J. David Eisenberg http://catcode.com/

Re: Unknown keyword in syslinux.cfg [ In reply to ]
J David Eisenberg wrote:
> Using versions 3.53 and 3.54, I get that message with the following
> configuration file (which is under 8192 bytes) on a USB stick; it's the
> configuration file from PCLinuxOS 2007. It was originally named
> isolinux.cfg; I changed isolinux.* to syslinux* for booting from USB.
> There is no blank line at the end of the file.
>
> It works well with 3.11, but that version doesn't allow me to put all the
> files in a /syslinux directory. I suspect the culprit is "gfxboot" --
> what can I use instead of it?

gfxboot is not supported in stock syslinux - it's a local hack some
distributions put in.

Try using vesamenu.c32 instead.

-hpa