Mailing List Archive

Advanced Menu system...
Hi all,

I wrote the initial version of the advanced menu system and have
been working on it (off and on) since. I am afraid, I will not be able
to spend as much time on it as I would have liked. When I wrote the
system I was a sysadmin and and active user myself. It has been 3
years since I was a sysadmin, and I dont seem to find time to devote
to it.

It would be great if some person or group of people, would like to
take over development of the advanced menu system. I will of course
continue to hang around this mailing list and can answer any questions
you may have about the code. I had been telling myself for the last
one year that I would find time to work on it, but have never managed
to find time. A recent addition to my family now makes it next to
impossible to find time.

The advanced menu system would not have been possible but for Peter
(for creating the COMBOOT infrastructure and help with some initial
bootstrapping code) and Open Watcomm developers (the initial version
was a DOS .COM file).

I would hate to see this piece of code go unused and eventually vanish.

--
Murali

கற்றது ைகமண் அளவு, கல்லாதது உலகளவு
(What we know is only a handful, what we dont is the rest of the world)
Re: Advanced Menu system... [ In reply to ]
Murali (????? ?????) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wrote the initial version of the advanced menu system

Thank you.

> It would be great if some person or group of people, would like to
> take over development of the advanced menu system.

> I would hate to see this piece of code go unused and eventually
> vanish.

I'm using it so it won't completely vanish!

That reminds me, I do need to have another go at distilling my
"cannot do the equivalent of
KERNEL foo
APPEND thingy
from the menu system"
into an easily digestible example ... not before Christmas now
I guess!

Antonio
arcarlini@iee.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
18/12/2007 21:40

Re: Advanced Menu system... [ In reply to ]
Antonio Carlini wrote on Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:59:15 -0000:
> Murali (????? ?????) wrote:
>
>> It would be great if some person or group of people, would like to
>> take over development of the advanced menu system. I would hate to see this piece of code go unused and eventually
>> vanish.
>>

> I'm using it so it won't completely vanish!

Actually, that is the code that I have been working on - I am stepping
forward here, as I've got eight or nine patches that apply either to the
advanced menu itself, or to COM32 for support of it.

So no fear, it's not abandoned :)

Re: Advanced Menu system... [ In reply to ]
Gordon Schumacher wrote:
> Antonio Carlini wrote on Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:59:15 -0000:
>> Murali (????? ?????) wrote:
>>
>>> It would be great if some person or group of people, would like to
>>> take over development of the advanced menu system. I would hate to see this piece of code go unused and eventually
>>> vanish.
>>>
>> I'm using it so it won't completely vanish!
>>
> Actually, that is the code that I have been working on - I am stepping
> forward here, as I've got eight or nine patches that apply either to the
> advanced menu itself, or to COM32 for support of it.
>
> So no fear, it's not abandoned :)

Would you be interested in taking on maintainership of it?

-hpa

Re: Advanced Menu system... [ In reply to ]
Op 21-12-2007 om 15:45 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> Gordon Schumacher wrote:
> > Antonio Carlini wrote on Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:59:15 -0000:

> >> I'm using it so it won't completely vanish!
> >>
> > Actually, that is the code that I have been working on - I am stepping
> > forward here, as I've got eight or nine patches that apply either to the
> > advanced menu itself, or to COM32 for support of it.
> >
> > So no fear, it's not abandoned :)
> >

> Would you be interested in taking on maintainership of it?

Even only a few months is fine.
So no fear for making a life time commitment.

Merry Christmas to all of you
Geert Stappers

Re: Advanced Menu system... [ In reply to ]
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> wrote at Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:45:10 -0800:
> Gordon Schumacher wrote:
>
>> Actually, that is the code that I have been working on - I am stepping
>> forward here, as I've got eight or nine patches that apply either to the
>> advanced menu itself, or to COM32 for support of it.
>>
>> So no fear, it's not abandoned :)
>>

> Would you be interested in taking on maintainership of it?
>
> -hpa

Sorry for the slow reply, I was busy over the holidays...
Let me get my current patches and such in order, and then I would be
interested, yes. First I should get my current contributions ironed
out, though.

I'm a little snowed under by a deadline at the immediate moment, but I
think within a couple of weeks I should have everything updated and
available.