Mailing List Archive

SYSLINUX 3.54-pre1 (bug fix release candidate)
I just uploaded SYSLINUX 3.54-pre1.

This is a release candidate, since it fixes a bug which I considers
significant. As it turns out, the problem with the graphical menu under
Qemu/KVM (requiring -std-vga) was actually an invalid assumption that
SYSLINUX was making, and didn't verify. Fixing the assumption was easy
enough to do, so I have fixed it.

Added is also a new set of menu layout commands, "menu disable", "menu
indent" and "menu separator", which can be used to create a hierarchial
menu look. Thanks to an anonymous contributor for this code.

-hpa

P.S. The assumption in question was that packed-pixel modes are densely
packed, with one scan line immediately following another. This is
normally the case, but VESA doesn't require it, and the VESA BIOS
included with Qemu doesn't set up its 640x480x24 mode this way -- and
doesn't even have a 640x480x32 mode. Why this is is somewhat confusing
to me, since it generally doesn't make sense; it might be an attempt to
mimic the real Cirrus Logic BIOS. Either way, SYSLINUX should either
verify the assumption (and reject unsuitable modes) or accept them; I
chose the latter option since it was easy to do.

Re: SYSLINUX 3.54-pre1 (bug fix release candidate) [ In reply to ]
I'm playing around with the new menu options (disable, indent,
separator). I also give thanks to whoever contributed the code. Very
nice, indeed! Just what I've been hoping for!

Re: SYSLINUX 3.54-pre1 (bug fix release candidate) [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I just uploaded SYSLINUX 3.54-pre1.
>
> This is a release candidate, since it fixes a bug which I considers
> significant. As it turns out, the problem with the graphical menu under
> Qemu/KVM (requiring -std-vga) was actually an invalid assumption that
> SYSLINUX was making, and didn't verify. Fixing the assumption was easy
> enough to do, so I have fixed it.
>
> Added is also a new set of menu layout commands, "menu disable", "menu
> indent" and "menu separator", which can be used to create a hierarchial
> menu look. Thanks to an anonymous contributor for this code.

Timing update...

Since I really want to get the Qemu fix out quickly, and since the code
changes in this release are quite small (the entire diff is 688 lines,
including documentation patches) I'm going to release it THIS WEEK
unless I hear otherwise, so if you have a chance to test it, please do so.

-hpa