Mailing List Archive

WDS and PXELinux
Dear All,

First posting here...

I am trying to integrate a PXELinux boot into my native-mode WDS
server. I have found that making WDS boot the PXELinux is easy (see
below), it is making PXELinux give control back to WDS that I have not
cracked yet.

-In your WDS server, copy the contents of your tftpboot folder to the
Boot\x86 folder in your RemoteInstall one.

-Open the Windows Deployment Services window, right-click on the server
entry and select Properties.

-On the WDS Server Properties window, click on the Boot tab.

-On the first entry, Default boot program (optional) x86 architecture,
change the existing value, boot\x86\pxeboot.com, for
boot\x86\pxelinux.0.

-OK the WDS Server Properties window.

-Start a client PXE boot and... when it should get to the F12 part, it
just starts booting the PXE Linux

My idea was to add an option in the pxelinux.cfg\default file to
be able to return to the normal WDS x86 boot menu if I did not want to
install Linux, but this seems to be resisting. So far I have got:

LABEL pxelinux
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.img ks=http://IP/desktop-32.cfg
LABEL pxewindows
KERNEL pxeboot.com

But though the pxelinux options works, the pxewindows one does not; it
just gives me a blank line and freezes the machine.

Anyone know if I need extra options to start the pxeboot.com?

Thank you for your help.

David

Re: WDS and PXELinux [ In reply to ]
Rename pxeboot.com to pxeboot.0

I had the same issue, pxelinux tries to be smart when it shouldn't

Also, you'll want to use keeppxe for some implementations of ris and wds
(your mileage may vary)

Authenticlick, Inc.
5757 Wilshire Boulevard | Penthouse One
Los Angeles, California 90036
Tel: 323.330.0404 x302 | Fax: 323.330.0755
email: jalifrangis@authenticlick.net

Jacob Alifrangis
Director of Operations

Re: WDS and PXELinux [ In reply to ]
Jacob,

And that works; thank you for your help!

By the way, if you want to loose the F12 press, rename
pxeboot.n12 instead.

David

Re: WDS and PXELinux [ In reply to ]
Jacob Alifrangis wrote:
> Rename pxeboot.com to pxeboot.0
>
> I had the same issue, pxelinux tries to be smart when it shouldn't

Note that since version 3.50 you can explicitly tell it what kind of
file it is (instead of "KERNEL pxeboot.0", you can have "PXE pxeboot.com").

-hpa

Re: WDS and PXELinux [ In reply to ]
hpa,

Yes, that works too. Thanks.