Mailing List Archive

Recent Isolinux fails to boot Via C3 Samuel 2
Hi Peter,

I've trawled through some of the archives about the
BIOS of my PC but I don't think this is the answer.

I have a VIA C3 S2 motherboard (it's a VIA CL). The
BIOS is version 1.23 which is the latest for for this
mb.

kubuntu 7.04 boots OK, as have all previous versions
of kubuntu.

kubuntu 7.10 doesn't boot, neither does suse 10.3 or
Fedora 8. All of of them get hung up at . . . well
see this kubuntu log for details:

"Back on my Via CL Eden 600MHz PC (the test install)
it loads as far as:

ISOLINUX 3.36 Debian . . . Peter Anvin

And that's it."

I think the version used by Fedora is 3.31, Suse I'm
not sure of.

I know the Via C3 is an i686 but there's supposedly
some "optional" functionality not implemented.

My question is: Shall I upgrade my hardware since
Isolinux no longer boots on this PC or is there a
possibility of you getting Isolinux to have less
optimisations that my hardware can't cope with?

Thanks for all the good work,

Owen

Re: Recent Isolinux fails to boot Via C3 Samuel 2 [ In reply to ]
Owen G. wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I've trawled through some of the archives about the
> BIOS of my PC but I don't think this is the answer.
>
> I have a VIA C3 S2 motherboard (it's a VIA CL). The
> BIOS is version 1.23 which is the latest for for this
> mb.
>
> kubuntu 7.04 boots OK, as have all previous versions
> of kubuntu.
>
> kubuntu 7.10 doesn't boot, neither does suse 10.3 or
> Fedora 8. All of of them get hung up at . . . well
> see this kubuntu log for details:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/152257

Kubuntu uses a locally modified isolinux, so I can't really know what is
going on there.

My current suggestion is to try 3.53 and if that still doesn't work, try
to figure out which official release or prerelease (or even better, "git
bisect") is the first one that breaks.

-hpa