Mailing List Archive

autoboot countdown timer
The countdown timer for pxelinux works correctly but the graphical
display just show 0 during the entire countdown. I tried setting
a custom autoboot msg but the result was the same. Is there anything
else I can look into?

syslinux v. 3.6

config file:

default debian-live/i386/boot-screens/data/vesamenu.c32
font debian-live/i386/boot-screens/data/iso01.f14.psf

timeout 100

LABEL memtest
MENU LABEL Memory test
kernel debian-live/i386/memtest

thanks,

Jesse

--
The trenchant blade, Toledo trusty,
For want of fighting was grown rusty,

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
> The countdown timer for pxelinux works correctly but the graphical
> display just show 0 during the entire countdown. I tried setting
> a custom autoboot msg but the result was the same. Is there anything
> else I can look into?
>
> syslinux v. 3.6

There is no "syslinux 3.6"...

-hpa

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
>
>> The countdown timer for pxelinux works correctly but the graphical
>> display just show 0 during the entire countdown. I tried setting
>> a custom autoboot msg but the result was the same. Is there anything
>> else I can look into?
>>
>> syslinux v. 3.6
>>

> There is no "syslinux 3.6"...

Hi

He means 3.60-pre2 (latest syslinux in debian unstable)

Debian-live is a offical debian projekt for building
live-cd/usb/net-boot images.

I just made some tests with 6 builds with different settings in the
syslinux.cfg file in case something was wrong in the generated one.
And I also can't get the timer to countdown. This was using both
menu.c32 and vesamenu.c32.
It just says 0 s but the countdown works just as Jesse said.

I also tried the MENU AUTOBOOT message to see if that could help, but
replacing it didnt help.

regards
//Peter

--

/bitrunner/

Andra Långgatan 28
41327 Göteborg
Sweden

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
Peter wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
>>
>>> The countdown timer for pxelinux works correctly but the graphical
>>> display just show 0 during the entire countdown. I tried setting
>>> a custom autoboot msg but the result was the same. Is there anything
>>> else I can look into?
>>>
>>> syslinux v. 3.6
>>>

>> There is no "syslinux 3.6"...
>>
> Hi
>
> He means 3.60-pre2 (latest syslinux in debian unstable)

URK!

3.60-pre* are development snapshots (non-release-candidates) and really
shouldn't be used. Could someone please switch them back to the
3.52/3.53-pre* branch for the time being?

> Debian-live is a offical debian projekt for building
> live-cd/usb/net-boot images.
>
> I just made some tests with 6 builds with different settings in the
> syslinux.cfg file in case something was wrong in the generated one.
> And I also can't get the timer to countdown. This was using both
> menu.c32 and vesamenu.c32.
> It just says 0 s but the countdown works just as Jesse said.
>
> I also tried the MENU AUTOBOOT message to see if that could help, but
> replacing it didnt help.

Please try 3.53-pre5 and see if that helps.

-hpa

Re: autoboot countdown timer [now works but its with 3.53-pre5] [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> URK!
>
> 3.60-pre* are development snapshots (non-release-candidates) and really
> shouldn't be used. Could someone please switch them back to the
> 3.52/3.53-pre* branch for the time being?
>

>> Debian-live is a offical debian projekt for building
>> live-cd/usb/net-boot images.
>>
>> I just made some tests with 6 builds with different settings in the
>> syslinux.cfg file in case something was wrong in the generated one.
>> And I also can't get the timer to countdown. This was using both
>> menu.c32 and vesamenu.c32.
>> It just says 0 s but the countdown works just as Jesse said.
>>
>> I also tried the MENU AUTOBOOT message to see if that could help, but
>> replacing it didnt help.
>>

> Please try 3.53-pre5 and see if that helps.
It works with 3.53-pre5.

I cc debian-live also.

regards
//Peter

--

/bitrunner/

*0708-460260*
Andra Långgatan 28
41327 Göteborg
Sweden

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> 3.60-pre* are development snapshots (non-release-candidates) and really
> shouldn't be used. Could someone please switch them back to the
> 3.52/3.53-pre* branch for the time being?

they were at that time the only syslinux versions which build with the
new nasm, that's why. otherwise i do of course stick with non-testing
releases.

--
Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
Daniel Baumann wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> 3.60-pre* are development snapshots (non-release-candidates) and really
>> shouldn't be used. Could someone please switch them back to the
>> 3.52/3.53-pre* branch for the time being?
>
> they were at that time the only syslinux versions which build with the
> new nasm, that's why. otherwise i do of course stick with non-testing
> releases.

Hm... that a NASM bug that should have been reported, too.

-hpa

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
> Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
> > The countdown timer for pxelinux works correctly but the graphical
> > display just show 0 during the entire countdown. I tried setting
> > a custom autoboot msg but the result was the same. Is there anything
> > else I can look into?
> >
> > syslinux v. 3.6
> >

> There is no "syslinux 3.6"...

sorry for generating the noise on the list, I should have verified
first that debian was using a released version of syslinux.

thanks for such a helpful program,

-Jesse

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
> sorry for generating the noise on the list, I should have verified
> first that debian was using a released version of syslinux.

not your fault; but now you can try again.. i've uploaded 3.53 yesterday
to sid.

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
> Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
> > sorry for generating the noise on the list, I should have verified
> > first that debian was using a released version of syslinux.
>
> not your fault; but now you can try again.. i've uploaded 3.53 yesterday
> to sid.

I am seeing the same result with 3.53 in sid. Perhaps there is a bug in
3.53?

thanks,

Jesse

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
>> Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
>>
>>> sorry for generating the noise on the list, I should have verified
>>> first that debian was using a released version of syslinux.
>>>
>> not your fault; but now you can try again.. i've uploaded 3.53 yesterday
>> to sid.
>>

> I am seeing the same result with 3.53 in sid. Perhaps there is a bug in
> 3.53?

Thats strange, I tested 3.53-pre5 and it worked (see earlier mail). But
I just made an image with debian-live (now carries 3.53) and it didn't
work.

But I also tested to replace the 3.53-debian menu.c32,vesamenu.c32 with
the downloaded 3.53-pre5 menu.c32,vesamenu-c32 from the tarball and
after the new image built, it worked.
So either there's a diff between 3.53-pre5 and the 3.53 or it's
something else. Jesse can't You test with the released 3.53 tarball from
syslinux directly.

I just replace the files in binary/data dir and then do a lh_binary.

regards
//Peter
--

/bitrunner/

*0708-460260*
Andra Långgatan 28
41327 Göteborg
Sweden

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
>> Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
>>> sorry for generating the noise on the list, I should have verified
>>> first that debian was using a released version of syslinux.
>> not your fault; but now you can try again.. i've uploaded 3.53 yesterday
>> to sid.
>
> I am seeing the same result with 3.53 in sid. Perhaps there is a bug in
> 3.53?

This doesn't happen on other systems, so this is something unique to
your system.

Please describe your system in detail.

-hpa

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
> Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
> >> not your fault; but now you can try again.. i've uploaded 3.53 yesterday
> >> to sid.
> >
> > I am seeing the same result with 3.53 in sid. Perhaps there is a bug in
> > 3.53?
> >

> This doesn't happen on other systems, so this is something unique to
> your system.

As Peter suggested I tested with the release tarball, rather than
the compiled version in sid. The autoboot timer works correctly with
the release tarball. Daniel should I file a bug against the debian
package?

thanks,

Jesse

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
Jesse W. Hathaway wrote:
>>> I am seeing the same result with 3.53 in sid. Perhaps there is a bug in
>>> 3.53?
>>>
>> This doesn't happen on other systems, so this is something unique to
>> your system.
>
> As Peter suggested I tested with the release tarball, rather than
> the compiled version in sid. The autoboot timer works correctly with
> the release tarball. Daniel should I file a bug against the debian
> package?
>
> thanks,
>
> Jesse

Does the Debian version build modified binaries, or does it use the
stock binaries provided with the releases? The former is bad chicken
for debugging...

-hpa

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Does the Debian version build modified binaries, or does it use the
> stock binaries provided with the releases? The former is bad chicken
> for debugging...

Debian rebuilds all binaries, but they are not patched (actually there
is a small patch, but that shoudn't make any difference).

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
Daniel Baumann wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Does the Debian version build modified binaries, or does it use the
>> stock binaries provided with the releases? The former is bad chicken
>> for debugging...
>
> Debian rebuilds all binaries, but they are not patched (actually there
> is a small patch, but that shoudn't make any difference).

Please see distrib.doc why I consider that to be a bad thing in this case.

-hpa

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 05:15:52PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Daniel Baumann wrote:
> > H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >> Does the Debian version build modified binaries, or does it use the
> >> stock binaries provided with the releases? The former is bad chicken
> >> for debugging...
> >
> > Debian rebuilds all binaries, but they are not patched (actually there
> > is a small patch, but that shoudn't make any difference).
> >

> Please see distrib.doc why I consider that to be a bad thing in this case.

If I'm reading the build log [1] correctly then there's a "bug" in build
script and ldlinux.bin is never built. Only 'make clean' is called and
since that doesn't remove ldlinux.bin it is never rebuilt.

I'm just curious, which part of the Debian policy requires that all
binaries are rebuilt? There is clause that requires the source code but
that doesn't prevent prebuilding binaries.

BTW, now the build script only prints ls -l of files but md5sum/sha1sum
would provide much more information (for tracking what the actual file
contains).

1: http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=syslinux;ver=2%3A3.53-1;arch=amd64;stamp=1195404954

--
Anssi Kolehmainen
anssi.kolehmainen@iki.fi

Re: autoboot countdown timer [ In reply to ]
Anssi Kolehmainen wrote:

>> Please see distrib.doc why I consider that to be a bad thing in this case.
>
> If I'm reading the build log [1] correctly then there's a "bug" in build
> script and ldlinux.bin is never built. Only 'make clean' is called and
> since that doesn't remove ldlinux.bin it is never rebuilt.

It it's calling "make clean"; "make distrib" then it's doing the exact
right thing (rebuilding "host" binaries, but not "target" binaries) --
it means it is using the bitwise original.

Unfortunately, no such luck, it runs "make clean" and then "make", which
really doesn't make any sense (either "make spotless;make" to build
everything from source, or "make clean;make distrib" to rebuild only the
host binaries.)

/usr/bin/make DATE=Debian-2007-11-18 HEXDATE=0x473fe1c5 all-local
make[2]: Entering directory `/build/buildd/syslinux-3.53'
nasm -O9999 -f bin -DDATE_STR="'Debian-2007-11-18'" -DHEXDATE="0x473fe1c5" \
-DMAP=pxelinux.map -l pxelinux.lsr -o pxelinux.bin pxelinux.asm
perl lstadjust.pl pxelinux.lsr pxelinux.map pxelinux.lst
perl checkov.pl pxelinux.map pxelinux.bin
cp pxelinux.bin pxelinux.0

I only see it rebuilding pxelinux.0; do you guys apply a patch or something?

There seems to be something else wrong, since it asks for the mingw
packages, but don't seem to actually use them (syslinux.exe is missing.)

> I'm just curious, which part of the Debian policy requires that all
> binaries are rebuilt? There is clause that requires the source code but
> that doesn't prevent prebuilding binaries.
>
> BTW, now the build script only prints ls -l of files but md5sum/sha1sum
> would provide much more information (for tracking what the actual file
> contains).

I printed that mostly because I really care about total size. md5sums
are useful, of course, but not really for having them printed for every
make during development.

-hpa