where the problem is?

Thanks,
Firas.

--
Firas Swidan, PhD
Founder and CEO
Olymons: Blessing Machines with Vision (TM)
http://www.olymons.com

client hangs on pxelinux [ In reply to ]
Hi,

my client pc hangs on pxelinux before starting to fetch the linux
kernel. It hangs after printing the ip information row. No traffic is
observed at this point on the network. The pxelinux is transferred to
the client through a tftp server and with no problems.

What options do I have to proceed from this point and try to find out
where the problem is?

Thanks,
Firas.

Re: client hangs on pxelinux [ In reply to ]
Op 10-11-2007 om 12:40 schreef Firas Swidan:
> Hi,
>
> my client pc hangs on pxelinux before starting to fetch the linux
> kernel. It hangs after printing the ip information row. No traffic is
> observed at this point on the network. The pxelinux is transferred to
> the client through a tftp server and with no problems.
>
> What options do I have to proceed from this point and try to find out
> where the problem is?

Take more time to tell about the configuration that is used.
The important things are the general things like
the setup of both server and client, also if has worked ever before.

Details like version numbers may also help.

> Thanks,
> Firas.

Cheers
Geert Stappers

Re: client hangs on pxelinux [ In reply to ]
Firas Swidan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my client pc hangs on pxelinux before starting to fetch the linux
> kernel. It hangs after printing the ip information row. No traffic is
> observed at this point on the network. The pxelinux is transferred to
> the client through a tftp server and with no problems.
>
> What options do I have to proceed from this point and try to find out
> where the problem is?

Looking at TFTP logs and/or running Wireshark (Ethereal) to sniff the
traffic is potentially useful; however, most likely what you have is a
phenomenon called the deaf PXE stack: it can transmit packets but not
receive them through the UDP interface, which is the one used by
PXELINUX. This bug has been reported as being near universal on SiS900
cards, but present on some other ones as well.

There is a workaround, which is to chain-load Etherboot
(http://www.rom-o-matic.net/) as a secondary (working!) PXE stack before

-hpa

Re: client hangs on pxelinux [ In reply to ]
Hi Geert,

Here are more details about the settings of both server and client:
This is my first time setting a pxe boot.

* server (services using standard ports):
- dhcp: 3.0.6
- tftp: 0.42
- pxelinux: 3.10 (2005-08-24)

Here is the dhcp.conf:

******************** dhcp.conf **********************
ddns-update-style none;
ddns-updates off;
option T150 code 150 = string;
deny client-updates;
one-lease-per-client false;

allow booting;
allow bootp;

next-server 192.168.0.1;
filename "linux-install/pxelinux.0";

option space PXE;
option PXE.mtftp-ip code 1 = ip-address;
option PXE.mtftp-cport code 2 = unsigned integer 16;
option PXE.mtftp-sport code 3 = unsigned integer 16;
option PXE.mtftp-tmout code 4 = unsigned integer 8;
option PXE.mtftp-delay code 5 = unsigned integer 8;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

range 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.254;
# Provide PXE clients with appropriate information
class "pxeclient" {
match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) =
"PXEClient";
vendor-option-space PXE;

option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient";

option PXE.mtftp-ip 0.0.0.0; #use ordinary TFTP, not MTFTP.
}
default-lease-time 6000;
max-lease-time 7200;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option time-offset -3600;

}

#the following might be needed, not obvious.

group {
option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient";

vendor-option-space PXE;

}

********************* dhcp.conf ******************

* client:

- booting through a dos floppy disk with etherboot 5.4 pxe program (PC
has an old non-pxe NIC and dos gives some maneuvering space over
direct pxe floppy).
- etherboot works well, client is assigned a dynamic IP(Me:
192.168.0.252), and pxelinux is transfered over the net (in 10 packets
- monitoring net traffic with wireshark).
- pxelinux starts to boot till it hangs after printing all of the following:

PXELINUX 3.10 2005-08-24 Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
UNDI data segment at: 0009D400
UNDI data segment size: 1000
UNDI data segment at: 0009E400
UNDI data segment size: 0AB0
PXE entry point found (we hope) at 9E40:0680
MY IP address seems to be C0A800FC 192.168.0.252
ip=192.168.0.252:192.168.0.1:0.0.0.0:255.255.255.0

then client hangs. PC reacts to nothing (no keyboard, no C+Alt+del, nada)

Any tips how to proceed from here are heartily appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Firas.

On Nov 10, 2007 1:35 PM, Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
> Op 10-11-2007 om 12:40 schreef Firas Swidan:
> > Hi,
> >
> > my client pc hangs on pxelinux before starting to fetch the linux
> > kernel. It hangs after printing the ip information row. No traffic is
> > observed at this point on the network. The pxelinux is transferred to
> > the client through a tftp server and with no problems.
> >
> > What options do I have to proceed from this point and try to find out
> > where the problem is?
>
> Take more time to tell about the configuration that is used.
> The important things are the general things like
> the setup of both server and client, also if has worked ever before.
>
> Details like version numbers may also help.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Firas.
>

> Cheers
> Geert Stappers

Firas Swidan, PhD
Founder and CEO
Olymons: Blessing Machines with Vision (TM)
http://www.olymons.com
P.O.Box 8125
Nazareth 16480
Israel
Cell: +.972.(0)54.733.1788

Re: client hangs on pxelinux [ In reply to ]
Op 11-11-2007 om 22:19 schreef Firas Swidan:
> On Nov 10, 2007 1:35 PM, Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:

> Hi Geert,

Do me a favour and reply below the text.
Deleting non-informative text is also appricated.

See the hpa postings for good examples ...

> > Take more time to tell about the configuration that is used.
> > The important things are the general things like
> > the setup of both server and client, also if has worked ever before.
> >
> > Details like version numbers may also help.
>
> Here are more details about the settings of both server and client:
> This is my first time setting a pxe boot.

Once I was also a beginner (we were all newbies once ;-)

> * server (services using standard ports):
> - dhcp: 3.0.6
> - tftp: 0.42
> - pxelinux: 3.10 (2005-08-24)

Meanwhile is 3.52 available.

> Here is the dhcp.conf:
>
> ******************** dhcp.conf **********************
<snip/>
> ********************* dhcp.conf *****************i*

Looks mostly fine... (just read on )

> * client:
>
> - booting through a dos floppy disk with etherboot 5.4 pxe program (PC
> has an old non-pxe NIC and dos gives some maneuvering space over
> direct pxe floppy).
> - etherboot works well, client is assigned a dynamic IP(Me:
> 192.168.0.252), and pxelinux is transfered over the net (in 10 packets
> - monitoring net traffic with wireshark).
> - pxelinux starts to boot till it hangs after printing all of the following:
>
> PXELINUX 3.10 2005-08-24 Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
> UNDI data segment at: 0009D400
> UNDI data segment size: 1000
> UNDI data segment at: 0009E400
> UNDI data segment size: 0AB0
> PXE entry point found (we hope) at 9E40:0680
> MY IP address seems to be C0A800FC 192.168.0.252
> ip=192.168.0.252:192.168.0.1:0.0.0.0:255.255.255.0

My setup has a router at the "0.0.0.0",
faking a router with the server might help, add to the dhcpd.conf
option routers 192.168.0.1 ;

> then client hangs. PC reacts to nothing (no keyboard, no C+Alt+del, nada)

The client should be fetching pxelinux.cfg files.

> Any tips how to proceed from here are heartily appreciated.

Checking what is going on at ethernet level, could provide more clues.

> Thanks for your help,
> Firas.

Let us known if http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php needs an update.

Cheers