Mailing List Archive

Multiboot DVD with original bootscreens kept intact
Hello,
This is my first post ever in a mailing-list so I hope I do the things correctly.
First, thank's to the author for these amazing tools.

With Isolinux, I
am making my own DVD multiboot with multiple liveCDs combined. I can get to work everything without even modifying livecds hierarchy. But now I need an important function that
I can't get to work: DISPLAY boot.msg

In fact to be precise, it
works perfectly the first time isolinux.cfg is shown, but if I append another cfg
with the DISPLAY command, it won't show up, even if it's the same file
! Here's an example:

ISOLINUX.CFG content:

DISPLAY boot.msg
PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 100
DEFAULT main
LABEL main
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /ISOLINUX.CFG

ISOLINUX.CFG
is capitalized because the filename is that way and Linux is case
sensitive. In boot.msg you can place any message you want. APPEND
/ISOLINUX.CFG is the same as APPEND ISOLINUX.CFG in my case, it even
works better in fact (noticed less bugs when I have more complicated paths).

Now if you try this configuration, you'll
see that the first time it shows up the splash screen will show the
message, but after the other splashscreens won't. So how to do that ? I
need it in fact to keep the original messages from livecds bootscreens that can contain precious
infos. If there is another way I'm okay, but I would like to know if at
least it's possible. Maybe there is a way to combine Isolinux with GRUB ?

One more thing I noticed: even if you set PROMPT 1 the prompt will be disabled after the first screen. I think it could be because of " KERNEL menu.c32", but I don't know what to replace this with.

I precise that I use the latest isolinux from syslinux v3.52.

Thank's for any answer.

Re: Multiboot DVD with original bootscreens kept intact [ In reply to ]
Gros Bedo wrote:

> ISOLINUX.CFG content:
>
> DISPLAY boot.msg
> PROMPT 1
> TIMEOUT 100
> DEFAULT main
> LABEL main
> KERNEL menu.c32
> APPEND /ISOLINUX.CFG
>
> ISOLINUX.CFG
> is capitalized because the filename is that way and Linux is case
> sensitive.

iso9660 isn't, though.

> In boot.msg you can place any message you want. APPEND
> /ISOLINUX.CFG is the same as APPEND ISOLINUX.CFG in my case, it even
> works better in fact (noticed less bugs when I have more complicated paths).
>
> Now if you try this configuration, you'll
> see that the first time it shows up the splash screen will show the
> message, but after the other splashscreens won't. So how to do that ? I
> need it in fact to keep the original messages from livecds bootscreens that can contain precious
> infos. If there is another way I'm okay, but I would like to know if at
> least it's possible. Maybe there is a way to combine Isolinux with GRUB ?
>
> One more thing I noticed: even if you set PROMPT 1 the prompt will be disabled after the first screen. I think it could be because of " KERNEL menu.c32", but I don't know what to replace this with.
>
> I precise that I use the latest isolinux from syslinux v3.52.

This is a rather unusual request, but you can certainly do it by
changing "kernel/append" to "config /isolinux.cfg".

-hpa

Re: Multiboot DVD with original bootscreens kept intact [ In reply to ]
It works ! Thank you so much !
I'll do a tutorial about this since all the tutorials I've come accross can't keep the original screen intact. This is the perfect solution and it was far more simple than what I imagined lol

Have a nice day !

Re: Multiboot DVD with original bootscreens kept intact [ In reply to ]
Does the tutorial here:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Deploy_Linux_from_Windows_RIS_server_using_PXELinux

(ignoring the PXE and RIS parts) not work do do what you want?

I will admit though another tutorial that is more specific would be
useful.

Regards,

Ryan McLean

Accelrys Limited (http://www.accelrys.com)
Registered office: 334 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0WN, UK
Registered in England: 2326316
Re: Multiboot DVD with original bootscreens kept intact [ In reply to ]
> Does the tutorial here:
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Deploy_Linux_from_Windows_RIS_server_using_PXELinux
>
> (ignoring the PXE and RIS parts) not work do do what you want?
>
> I will admit though another tutorial that is more specific would be
> useful.
>
> Regards,
>

> Ryan McLean

No it doesn't because it directly loads the linux image, but what I wanted to do is very specific to multiboot disc because in this case you already have config files to load linux images, and usually these config files contains some precious info that are only loaded at boot prompt. And the only way to load again the boot prompt with these info is indeed the CONFIG option.

But it depends on the use you plan for your multiboot project. If you want to create a customized disc that will show your logo and infos and hide the original bootscreens it's better to use KERNEL/APPEND , but if you prefer to make what I call a true multiboot disc keeping original infos and bootscreens available then CONFIG is the way to go.

BTW thank's for the link I didn't know there was a wiki, I'll post my tutorial there when I'll get some spare time :D