Mailing List Archive

Passing commands from pxelinux to gpxe ?
Hi All,
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've managed to get
pxelinux to load gpxe and then manually load linux by
using the gpxe command line and HTTP for the kernel and
initial ram disk.

My question is whether it is possible to somehow pass
gpxe commands through some mechanism other than
the DHCP filename response. Since I don't have control
over our DHCP infrastructure, but do have control over
pxelinux, I'd like to some how tell gpxe what to do next
without having to rely on the DHCP filename response.

Apologies if this is off topic.

Doug

--

The big print giveth and the small print taketh away.

Re: Passing commands from pxelinux to gpxe ? [ In reply to ]
Doug Scoular wrote:
> Hi All,
> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've managed to get
> pxelinux to load gpxe and then manually load linux by
> using the gpxe command line and HTTP for the kernel and
> initial ram disk.
>
> My question is whether it is possible to somehow pass
> gpxe commands through some mechanism other than
> the DHCP filename response. Since I don't have control
> over our DHCP infrastructure, but do have control over
> pxelinux, I'd like to some how tell gpxe what to do next
> without having to rely on the DHCP filename response.
>
> Apologies if this is off topic.

It's not, but the answer, unfortunately, is negative.

There 3.60-pre* development branch of syslinux can be run on top of gPXE
(I think a development branch is needed there, too) to use full gPXE
capabilities from inside syslinux. It still has some rough edges, but
it does work.

-hpa