Mailing List Archive

Re: DOS/Freedos: Can't use mkfloppyimg.sh or mkdiskimage for +8M images ( Murali (????? ?????) )
Sorry for the delay, I should not send email on an holiday week-end.

I'll try to answer all the questions by explaining what does work
for me right now, and what I'd like to do.

I have a script to create the a USB stick or an ISO image. The boot
media contains many DOS images, and I use versamenu to select one
of them. If my DOS image is smaller than 8megs, everything is working
fine as expected.

To create my dos image, I did use Murali
script and pick the freedos floppy image from
http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/autogen/FDSTD.144.gz

I modify cwhosthe script, put FDSTD.144 as the OLDIMAGE
I set NEWIMAGE to dexter1.img
I set the SIZEMB to 10

The script return the following information
Your floppy image is in dexter1.img. When using it in iso/pxelinux, dont forget to add
"floppy c=10 s=32 h=64" to the argument of memdisk

I modify syslinux.cfg/isolinux.cfg and create a menu entry
label Dexter-bios8217-bmc146
menu label Dexter Bios:8217 BMC:146
KERNEL /kernel/memdisk
append initrd=/initrd/dexter1.img floppy c=10 s=32 h=64

When I try to boot, the system hang. You could see a screenshot at
http://picasaweb.google.com/gaetanlord/Public/photo#5119197248621294290

But if I do the same with "SIZEMB=8", this does work but freedos report the following message

WARNING: Using suspect partition PRI:1 FS 0e: with calculated values
175-9-63 instead of 21-254-63

But the same message also apply if I use the 1.4M freedos image itself.

Probably something change, because in Murali document
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~gmurali/gui/isodos.html
he mention being able to do 10M image.

The syslinux doc talk about mkdiskimage to create disk image. I try
to use it without success. What I did is the following

mkdiskimage /tmp/dexter1.img 2 255 63 (this create a 16M image)
mount -o loop,offset=32256 /tmp/dexter1.img /mnt/loop
++ I copy my dos file in /mnt/loop
I change my syslinux.cfg to be
label 1Dexter-bios8217-bmc146
menu label Dexter Bios:8217 BMC:146
KERNEL /kernel/memdisk
append initrd=/initrd/dexter1.img harddisk c=2 s=63 h=255

But when I boot the imagem the system hang, like what you could see in
this snapshot.
http://picasaweb.google.com/gaetanlord/Public/photo#5119361870422782706

Thank for any pointer that could help to solve this problem

--
Gaetan Lord, un etre humain parmis tant d'autre, et unique pour sa bien-aimée.

The relative speed of a computer, regardless of CPU architecture, is
inversely proportional to the number of Microsoft products installed.
-- From a Slashdot.org post

Re: DOS/Freedos: Can't use mkfloppyimg.sh or mkdiskimage for +8M images ( Murali (????? ?????) ) [ In reply to ]
Gaetan linny Lord wrote:

> When I try to boot, the system hang. You could see a screenshot at
> http://picasaweb.google.com/gaetanlord/Public/photo#5119197248621294290
>
> But if I do the same with "SIZEMB=8", this does work but freedos report the following message
>
> WARNING: Using suspect partition PRI:1 FS 0e: with calculated values
> 175-9-63 instead of 21-254-63
>
> But the same message also apply if I use the 1.4M freedos image itself.

This implied that freedos detected a hard disk image. It would be good
to get the memdisk output messages for this.

> But when I boot the imagem the system hang, like what you could see in
> this snapshot.
> http://picasaweb.google.com/gaetanlord/Public/photo#5119361870422782706

You're using memdisk 3.36 in EDD mode, which is known broken. Upgrade
to 3.52.

-hpa