Is it possible to specify the root device in extlinux.conf by an ext2
label or uuid? How difficult is it to add this support if it is not
there? I am in a situation where this is needed and my fstab is
configured appropriately, but extlinux.conf still needs to be manually
updated when the root drive changes to a different scsi device (due to
the number of drives on the bus and the order of the controllers).

Thanks,
-Andrew

Re: extlinux support for root= ext2 label and/or uuid [ In reply to ]
Hello,

* Andrew Paprocki <andrew@ishiboo.com> [20071007 22:04]:
> Is it possible to specify the root device in extlinux.conf by an ext2
> label or uuid? How difficult is it to add this support if it is not
> there? I am in a situation where this is needed and my fstab is
> configured appropriately, but extlinux.conf still needs to be manually
> updated when the root drive changes to a different scsi device (due to
> the number of drives on the bus and the order of the controllers).

I'd rather recommend nailing down the controller/device IDs using udev
or kernel parameters.

Scanning for ext2 labels or UUIDs and then rewriting the commandline
with it (as root=/dev/xxx is usually passed thru) is out of the scope of
syslinux - as I understand it.

Andreas

--
flatline IT services - Andreas Kotes - Tailored solutions for your IT needs

Re: extlinux support for root= ext2 label and/or uuid [ In reply to ]
Op 07-10-2007 om 15:54 schreef Andrew Paprocki:
> Is it possible to specify the root device in extlinux.conf by an ext2
> label or uuid?

Yes.

Use 'append' for it, "root=label" is kernel parameter.

HtT
GSt