Mailing List Archive

DOS/Freedos: Can't use mkfloppyimg.sh or mkdiskimage for +8M images
Hi

Maybe HPA or Murali could help me with this one, or anyone who got the
following working. I spend numerous hours reading the list and
googling without success.

I'd like to create a bootable USB stick and CDROM that will do the following.

I will have a menu, from which I could pick a specific dos image (not
partition). The dos images could have up to 20Megs in size. The goal
is to have a configuration that will contains tools for different
type of hardware. To ease the process, I want to automate image
creation (floppy or harddisk), and use it with memdisk.

I use the mkfloppyimg.sh script and it is working fine up until 8M in
size, if I go higher than this, it doesn't work, and I can't boot the
image. I did try to do the same with mkdiskimage without success, I
probably miss something in the way to create the image. My question is
simple, is there any recipe to create a +8M dos/freedos image I could
use with syslinux.

Many thanks.

Re: DOS/Freedos: Can't use mkfloppyimg.sh or mkdiskimage for +8M images [ In reply to ]
On 10/5/07, Gaetan Lord <email@gaetanlord.ca> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Maybe HPA or Murali could help me with this one, or anyone who got the
> following working. I spend numerous hours reading the list and
> googling without success.
>
> I'd like to create a bootable USB stick and CDROM that will do the
> following.
>
> I will have a menu, from which I could pick a specific dos image (not
> partition). The dos images could have up to 20Megs in size. The goal
> is to have a configuration that will contains tools for different
> type of hardware. To ease the process, I want to automate image
> creation (floppy or harddisk), and use it with memdisk.
>
> I use the mkfloppyimg.sh script and it is working fine up until 8M in
> size, if I go higher than this, it doesn't work, and I can't boot the
> image. I did try to do the same with mkdiskimage without success, I
> probably miss something in the way to create the image. My question is
> simple, is there any recipe to create a +8M dos/freedos image I could
> use with syslinux.

Which of the following happens
(1) mkfloppyimg.sh is failing and not creating the image
(2) memdisk is not booting the created image
(3) memdisk is booting the image, but DOS complains while booting.

Also what is the exact error message you are seeing?

I am assuming you gave the "floppy" and "c/h/s" values to memdisk, since
otherwise you would not have been able to boot a 8MB image.

- Murali