Mailing List Archive

SYSLINUX 3.52 released
Hello everyone,

I have just released SYSLINUX 3.52, being functionally identical to
3.52-pre10.

Changes in 3.52:
* Handle capitalized F-key commands in the menu system.
* Fix padding error when loading multiple ramdisks.
* Workaround for VMware crashing when trying to print a
message during early kernel boot (does not seem to work,
consider deleting.)
* chain.c32: add the ability to search for a specific MBR
signature at runtime.
* Fall back to the server identity option if the siaddr field
in the DHCP header isn't set. This seems to match the
behaviour of most PXE stacks.
* mkdiskimage: give the generated disk image an MBR signature.
* MEMDISK: Fix failures on some BIOSes.
* Simple menu system: new "MENU HIDDEN" option to not display
the menu unless the user presses a key.
* Simple menu system: support MD5-encrypted passwords (modern
Unix standard style, with "$1$" prefixes.)
* pcitest.c32: now functions as a full "lspci". Thanks to
Erwan Velu for this work.
* MEMDISK: Make EDD actually work.
* ISOLINUX: Fix for certain broken CD-ROM BIOSes which
randomly corrupted register FS.
* Simple menu system: fix memory overwrite bug that caused
some systems to lock up or behave weirdly.
* Fix building on 64-bit systems without a 32-bit libc
installed.

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX 3.52 release visible in 'git' [ In reply to ]
Op 25-09-2007 om 17:22 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have just released SYSLINUX 3.52, being functionally identical to
> 3.52-pre10.

How to make those "mile stones" visible in the versioning tool 'git'?

Right now I get "version 3.50" with `git describe`,
where I do expect 3.52.

What do other people see?

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
$ git fetch
Fetching refs/heads/master from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git using http
* refs/heads/origin: not updating to non-fast forward branch 'master' of
* http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux
old...new: a81fb89...595705f
stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
$ git describe
syslinux-3.50-pre5-144-ga81fb89
stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
$ git branch
* master
origin
stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
$ git describe master
syslinux-3.50-pre5-144-ga81fb89
stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
$ git describe origin
syslinux-3.50-pre5-144-ga81fb89
stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
$ git show-branch --list
* [master] Fix building on a 64-bit system without a 32-bit system installed
[origin] Fix building on a 64-bit system without a 32-bit system installed
stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
$

Re: SYSLINUX 3.52 release visible in 'git' [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 06:07:27PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 25-09-2007 om 17:22 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I have just released SYSLINUX 3.52, being functionally identical to
> > 3.52-pre10.
>
> How to make those "mile stones" visible in the versioning tool 'git'?
>
> Right now I get "version 3.50" with `git describe`,
> where I do expect 3.52.
>
> What do other people see?

$ git pull
Already up-to-date.
$ git describe
syslinux-3.52

> stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
> $ git fetch
> Fetching refs/heads/master from
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git using http
> * refs/heads/origin: not updating to non-fast forward branch 'master' of
> * http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux
> old...new: a81fb89...595705f

Note that it didn't apply the new changes. You have to merge them now.

Also, I use the git protocol directly:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git

--
lfr
0/0
Re: SYSLINUX 3.52 release visible in 'git' [ In reply to ]
Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 25-09-2007 om 17:22 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have just released SYSLINUX 3.52, being functionally identical to
>> 3.52-pre10.
>
> How to make those "mile stones" visible in the versioning tool 'git'?
>
> Right now I get "version 3.50" with `git describe`,
> where I do expect 3.52.
>
> What do other people see?

First of all, don't pull with http:// (use git://) if you can avoid it.

However, the hook in the repo to create the server info file, used by
http:// pulls, wasn't enabled; that's fixed.

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX 3.52 release visible in 'git' [ In reply to ]
Op 26-09-2007 om 17:35 schreef Luciano Rocha:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 06:07:27PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > >
> > > [HPA just released SYSLINUX 3.52]
> >
> > Right now I get "version 3.50" with `git describe`,
> > where I do expect 3.52. What do other people see?
>
> $ git pull
> Already up-to-date.
> $ git describe
> syslinux-3.52
>
> > stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
> > $ git fetch
> > Fetching refs/heads/master from
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git using http
> > * refs/heads/origin: not updating to non-fast forward branch 'master' of
> > * http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux
> > old...new: a81fb89...595705f
>
> Note that it didn't apply the new changes. You have to merge them now.
>
> Also, I use the git protocol directly:
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git

Using a different URL, especial with a different protocol,
could indeed be the reason that I missed tags.

Webpage http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Development
says to use http: and it says to use `cg-update origin`,
but I did previous only `cg-update`, I should have recheck
the syslinux wiki earlier.

But doing `cg-update origin` got me also errors:

| stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
| $ cg-update origin
| Recovering from a previously interrupted fetch...
| Fetching head...
| cg-fetch: unable to get the HEAD branch
| stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
| $ df .
| Bestandssysteem 1K-blokken Gebruikt Beschikbaar Gebruikt%
| Aangekoppeld op
| /dev/hda1 36985736 3876912 31230024 12% /
| stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
| $ cd ..
| stappers@alpaca:/usr/src
| $ mkdir syslinux2
| stappers@alpaca:/usr/src
| $ cd !$
| cd syslinux2
| stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux2
| $ cg-clone -s http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git
| Initialized empty Git repository in .git/
| Fetching head...
| cg-fetch: unable to get the HEAD branch
| stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux2
| $

What is needed to fix 'cg-fetch: unable to get the HEAD branch' ?

Cheers
Geert Stappers

Re: SYSLINUX 3.52 release visible in 'git' [ In reply to ]
Op 26-09-2007 om 10:02 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> Geert Stappers wrote:
> > Op 25-09-2007 om 17:22 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> >>
> >> I have just released SYSLINUX 3.52,
> >
> > Right now I get "version 3.50" with `git describe`,
> > where I do expect 3.52.
> >

> First of all, don't pull with http:// (use git://) if you can avoid it.

Mmm, okay, I volunteer to update http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Development
(but that will be tomorrow ( I'm in UTC-1 ))

> However, the hook in the repo to create the server info file, used by
> http:// pulls, wasn't enabled; that's fixed.

I think there is a regression in that changed.
See my other E-mail in this thread ("unable to fetch HEAD", or such alike)

Cheers
Geert Stappers

Re: SYSLINUX 3.52 release visible in 'git' [ In reply to ]
Geert Stappers wrote:

> Webpage http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Development
> says to use http: and it says to use `cg-update origin`,
> but I did previous only `cg-update`, I should have recheck
> the syslinux wiki earlier.

I just updated that page. It was wrong on several accounts.

> But doing `cg-update origin` got me also errors:
>
> | stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
> | $ cg-update origin
> | Recovering from a previously interrupted fetch...
> | Fetching head...
> | cg-fetch: unable to get the HEAD branch
> | stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
> | $ df .
> | Bestandssysteem 1K-blokken Gebruikt Beschikbaar Gebruikt%
> | Aangekoppeld op
> | /dev/hda1 36985736 3876912 31230024 12% /
> | stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
> | $ cd ..
> | stappers@alpaca:/usr/src
> | $ mkdir syslinux2
> | stappers@alpaca:/usr/src
> | $ cd !$
> | cd syslinux2
> | stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux2
> | $ cg-clone -s http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git
> | Initialized empty Git repository in .git/
> | Fetching head...
> | cg-fetch: unable to get the HEAD branch
> | stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux2
> | $
>
> What is needed to fix 'cg-fetch: unable to get the HEAD branch' ?

Cogito is, unfortunately, no longer maintained, and it has started to
bitrot.

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX 3.52 release visible in 'git' [ In reply to ]
Geert Stappers wrote:

>> However, the hook in the repo to create the server info file, used by
>> http:// pulls, wasn't enabled; that's fixed.
>
> I think there is a regression in that changed.
> See my other E-mail in this thread ("unable to fetch HEAD", or such alike)

No, when I repacked the tree it unfortunately made it inaccessible via
http transport to older versions of git.

-hpa

Re: SYSLINUX 3.52 release visible in 'git' [ In reply to ]
Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 26-09-2007 om 10:02 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
>> Geert Stappers wrote:
>>> Right now I get "version 3.50" with `git describe`,
>>> where I do expect 3.52.
>>>
>> First of all, don't pull with http:// (use git://) if you can avoid it.
>
> Mmm, okay, I volunteer to update http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Development
> (but that will be tomorrow ( I'm in UTC-1 ))

Wel te rusten ...

Re: SYSLINUX 3.52 release visible in 'git' [ In reply to ]
Op 27-09-2007 om 01:09 schreef Dyks, Axel (XL):
> Geert Stappers wrote:
> >>>
> >> First of all, don't pull with http:// (use git://) if you can avoid it.
> >
> > Mmm, okay, I volunteer to update http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Development

(c: hpa allready updated the wiki

> > (but that will be tomorrow ( I'm in UTC-1 ))
>
> Wel te rusten ...

For the non-dutch speaking, XL is saying "good night".

This message is to report that I get version 3.52

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git syslinux.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /usr/src/syslinux.git/.git/
stappers@alpaca:/usr/src/syslinux
$ cd !$
cd syslinux.git