Mailing List Archive

chaing freebsd pxeboot.0 from pxelinux.0
Hi Folks,

I have configured pxelinux.0 to allow chain-booting freebsd pxeboot.0
from it like this:

label fbsdpxe
KERNEL pxeboot.0

This works as expected, so no issue with that.

There's one weird thing however.
If I rename pxeboot.0 to pxeboot (omitting .0) and change the config
file accordingly
it throws this error at me:

Invalid or corrupt kernel image.

Same happens if I rename it to 'pxeboot.1' or if I try to do the same
with pxelinux.0
itself by renaming it to 'pxelinux', 'pxelinux.abc' or some other name.

This is interresting as obviously a stock linux kernel can be named
anything.
This behaviour is only seen with pxe loaders.

While I've read the pxe specs which state the NBP may be split in two if
greater than 32k
thus leading to the .0 and eventually .1 in NBP filenames the behaviour
seen may be
absolutely intenional.

Can you confirm this, Peter?

Greetings

Gianpaolo

Re: chaing freebsd pxeboot.0 from pxelinux.0 [ In reply to ]
Gianpaolo Del Matto wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have configured pxelinux.0 to allow chain-booting freebsd pxeboot.0
> from it like this:
>
> label fbsdpxe
> KERNEL pxeboot.0
>
> This works as expected, so no issue with that.
>
> There's one weird thing however.
> If I rename pxeboot.0 to pxeboot (omitting .0) and change the config
> file accordingly
> it throws this error at me:
>
> Invalid or corrupt kernel image.
>
> Same happens if I rename it to 'pxeboot.1' or if I try to do the same
> with pxelinux.0
> itself by renaming it to 'pxelinux', 'pxelinux.abc' or some other name.

Please see the first item at:

http://syslinux.zytor.com/errors.php

-hpa