Mailing List Archive

No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32
Hello,

I'm trying to boot a HP Proliant DL320 G5 with a HP Smart Array E200i
RAID card (latest BIOS and latest RAID card firmware).

With menu.c32 or vesamenu.c32 from syslinux 3.50 the system hangs

Booting from local disk...
PXE-M0F Exiting

With the latest dev version (3.52-pre) it hangs with :

vesamenu.c32: attempted DOS system call

The issue has already been reported but with no solution.

Regards,

Frédéric.

Re: No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
Frédéric VANNIÈRE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to boot a HP Proliant DL320 G5 with a HP Smart Array E200i
> RAID card (latest BIOS and latest RAID card firmware).

Booting from what medium?

> With menu.c32 or vesamenu.c32 from syslinux 3.50 the system hangs
>
> Booting from local disk...
> PXE-M0F Exiting
>

> With the latest dev version (3.52-pre) it hangs with :
>
> vesamenu.c32: attempted DOS system call
>
> The issue has already been reported but with no solution.

There are no previous emails in the mailing list archive from you.

The first thing I would want to know is that all components
(pxelinux/isolinux/syslinux/etc, memdisk, *.c32 etc) match.

-hpa

Re: No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin a écrit :
> Frédéric VANNIÈRE wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to boot a HP Proliant DL320 G5 with a HP Smart Array E200i
>> RAID card (latest BIOS and latest RAID card firmware).
>>
> Booting from what medium?

The first boot device is PXE on the first NIC. We are using syslinux 3.50
from sources and tftp-hpa on fuse (for dynamic menu generation). The
second boot
device is the RAID card (or the SATA controler)

>> With menu.c32 or vesamenu.c32 from syslinux 3.50 the system hangs
>>
>> Booting from local disk...
>> PXE-M0F Exiting
>>

>> With the latest dev version (3.52-pre) it hangs with :
>>
>> vesamenu.c32: attempted DOS system call
>>
>> The issue has already been reported but with no solution.
>>

> There are no previous emails in the mailing list archive from you.

The mail is "menu.c32 HP Proliant DL360 G5 localboot problem" Aug 25, 2007

> The first thing I would want to know is that all components
> (pxelinux/isolinux/syslinux/etc, memdisk, *.c32 etc) match.

This configuration file doesn't work (menu.c32 or vesamenu.c32):

DEFAULT menu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 100
LABEL default
MENU LABEL Local disk
localboot 0

This one works :

DEFAULT local
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 100
LABEL default
MENU LABEL Local disk
localboot 0

I've tried 3 versions of syslinux:
- Syslinux 3.50 -> doesn't work (Booting from local disk...)
- Syslinux dev -> doesn't work (attempted DOS system call)
- official Debian Etch 3.31-4 -> works

Regards,

Frédéric.

--
Frédéric VANNIÈRE
Directeur Technique

PLANET-WORK
231 rue Saint-Honoré
75001 PARIS - FRANCE

Tél : 0891 024 424
Fax : 0141 797 861
Web : http://www.planet-work.fr/

Planet-Work, vecteur de votre image sur Internet

Re: No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
Frédéric VANNIÈRE wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin a écrit :
>
>> Frédéric VANNIÈRE wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to boot a HP Proliant DL320 G5 with a HP Smart Array E200i
>>> RAID card (latest BIOS and latest RAID card firmware).
>>>

>> Booting from what medium?
>>

> The first boot device is PXE on the first NIC. We are using syslinux 3.50
> from sources and tftp-hpa on fuse (for dynamic menu generation). The
> second boot
> device is the RAID card (or the SATA controler)

-Snip-
> Regards,
>
> Frédéric.

As far as I know, This is an unsupported Configuration. While it may not
be related, Please test without fuse.

-Andrew

Re: No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
Andrew Stuart wrote:

> As far as I know, This is an unsupported Configuration. While it may not
> be related, Please test without fuse.

Indeed; if your FUSE system is corrupting files anything could happen.

-hpa

Re: No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

as I got my hands on a DL360 G3 for testing today, I may provide some
further information on this.

The relevant change seems to be
http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/syslinux/syslinux.git;a=commit;h=507719c32bfe1b5db5f18ff9bde0cee91b2e83f9.

With the attached diff, which apparently reverts the above change, I was
able to build a pxelinux.0 based on v3.61, which works also on my test
machine. A self compiled stock v3.61 hangs when it is supposed to
localboot from menu.c32. I experience the very same behavior also with
my own com32 module.

Looks like HP stores some information in memory, which gets overwritten
by pxelinux/the com32 module?

I'd be very happy to do further tests to support fixing this issue for
an upcoming syslinux release.

Regards, Ulrich
Re: No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
Ulrich Wiedemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I got my hands on a DL360 G3 for testing today, I may provide some
> further information on this.

Could you run com32/modules/meminfo.c32 for me on this system?

-hpa

Re: No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
Ulrich Wiedemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I got my hands on a DL360 G3 for testing today, I may provide some
> further information on this.
>
> The relevant change seems to be
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/syslinux/syslinux.git;a=commit;h=507719c32bfe1b5db5f18ff9bde0cee91b2e83f9.
>

> With the attached diff, which apparently reverts the above change, I was
> able to build a pxelinux.0 based on v3.61, which works also on my test
> machine. A self compiled stock v3.61 hangs when it is supposed to
> localboot from menu.c32. I experience the very same behavior also with
> my own com32 module.
>
> Looks like HP stores some information in memory, which gets overwritten
> by pxelinux/the com32 module?
>
> I'd be very happy to do further tests to support fixing this issue for
> an upcoming syslinux release.

I should like to ask what version of the PXE firmware you're running on
that, and if it's not the latest, if you could try the latest version; I
suggest using the "HP firmware maintenance CD":

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3288138&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316558&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4006#2995

They released a new firmware CD as late as Feb 11, 2008.

It looks like it's a Broadcom chip in that box.

-hpa

Re: No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32 [ In reply to ]
> I should like to ask what version of the PXE firmware you're running on
> that, and if it's not the latest, if you could try the latest version; I

I updated the server with the mentioned maintenance CD to the latest
available firmware.

The behavior is still the same (localboot does not work). For this test
I used the new syslinux/pxelinux v3.62.

Please find attached the output of meminfo.c32.

> It looks like it's a Broadcom chip in that box.

Yes, this machine has a Broadcom chip. If this is of interest, I could
also look up the PCI device information.

Regards, Ulrich