Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Stephane ARQUER

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Stéphane ARQUER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to load with pxelinux an RTEMS executable file, the format is
> ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically
> linked, strtipped
>
> Can someone tell me if there is a way to load it with PXElinux.
> When I try to do it, the error message is :
> invalid or corrupt kernel image

Try using elf.c32 to load it. If that doesn't work, then RTEMS probably
needs specific entry conditions.

-hpa

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Stéphane ARQUER wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to load with pxelinux an RTEMS executable file, the format is
>> ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically
>> linked, strtipped
>>
>> Can someone tell me if there is a way to load it with PXElinux.
>> When I try to do it, the error message is :
>> invalid or corrupt kernel image
>>

> Try using elf.c32 to load it. If that doesn't work, then RTEMS probably
> needs specific entry conditions.

... which, I should point out, should be easy enough to accommodate if
we can find out what they are.

-hpa

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I tryed to force the format with the keywords given in the syslinux doc
page but the ELF format is not recognize.

I've attached a simple hello prog to allow testing.
Actually I use grub to load these file with pxegrub.

Regards.

SA

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Stéphane ARQUER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tryed to force the format with the keywords given in the syslinux doc
> page but the ELF format is not recognize.

It should look something like:

label rtems
kernel elf.c32
append rtems.elf

-hpa

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Stéphane ARQUER wrote:
> The result is the same:
> invalid or corrupt kernel image

Do you actually have elf.c32 installed?

I tried your hello.exe, and it worked fine with syslinux 3.52-pre8 at least.

-hpa

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
The result is the same:

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Do you recieve this morning the hello.exe.gz file ?

This is a simple hello world program from rtems.org cross compiled for
i386.
This executive works with grub on a floppy for exemple and with pxegrub
also.

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Stéphane ARQUER wrote:
> Do you recieve this morning the hello.exe.gz file ?
>
> This is a simple hello world program from rtems.org cross compiled for
> i386.
> This executive works with grub on a floppy for exemple and with pxegrub
> also.

Yes, it worked fine for me.

-hpa

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Le 17/9/2007, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> a écrit:

>Stéphane ARQUER wrote:
>> The result is the same:
>> invalid or corrupt kernel image
>
>Do you actually have elf.c32 installed?

no.
Can you tell me more ?

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Stéphane ARQUER wrote:
> Le 17/9/2007, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> a écrit:
>
>> Stéphane ARQUER wrote:
>>> The result is the same:
>>> invalid or corrupt kernel image
>> Do you actually have elf.c32 installed?
>
> no.
> Can you tell me more ?

elf.c32 (as all other .c32 modules) ship with syslinux in the
com32/modules directory. A lot of functionality is not available
without them.

-hpa

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Can you tell me what do I need to install exactly ?

I downloaded syslinux-3.52-pre8
then I made a make in /com32 directory.
I put the elf.c32 file in /tftpboot
and I modified the pxelinux.cfg/IPfile such:
default rtems
label rtems
kernel elf.c32
append my_rtems_execfile.exe

after the message booting...
the pc is frozen.

The there is something wrong in the way I proceed.

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Op 18-09-2007 om 09:05 schreef Stéphane ARQUER:
> Hi,
>
> Can you tell me what do I need to install exactly ?
>
> I downloaded syslinux-3.52-pre8
> then I made a make in /com32 directory.
> I put the elf.c32 file in /tftpboot
> and I modified the pxelinux.cfg/IPfile such:
> default rtems
> label rtems
> kernel elf.c32
> append my_rtems_execfile.exe
>
> after the message booting...
> the pc is frozen.
>
> The there is something wrong in the way I proceed.

As I read it, there is progress.
The "invalid header" message is gone.

Thing I would do, is getting the hello.exe running,
because that is a configuration that is reported to be working.

(in other words: right now I would doubt 'my_rtems_execfile.exe')

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
There is indeed some logic in
first seeing a question and after that, the answer.

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
"Stéphane ARQUER" <stephane.arquer@c-s.fr> writes:

> Can you tell me what do I need to install exactly ?
>
> I downloaded syslinux-3.52-pre8
> then I made a make in /com32 directory.

You may not need to make at all, the syslinux tarball contains some
binaries, possibly all of them.

And also use pxelinux.0 from the same distribution as the modules.
Feri.

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
I try to load the file /com32/samples/hello.elf
given by syslinux-3.52-pre8.tar.gz, which normally works fine (to avoid
any doubt).

with pxelinux.cfg/C0A8000F :

default rtems
label rtems
kernel elf.c32
append hello.elf

the result is the same, the pc is frozen after the message:
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A8000F
booting...

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]

Op 18-09-2007 om 13:15 schreef Stéphane ARQUER:
> Le 18/9/2007, "(Geert Stappers)" <stappers@stappers.nl> a écrit:
> >
> >As I read it, there is progress.
> >The "invalid header" message is gone.
> >
> >Thing I would do, is getting the hello.exe running,
> >because that is a configuration that is reported to be working.
> >
> >(in other words: right now I would doubt 'my_rtems_execfile.exe')
> >
> I try to load the file /com32/samples/hello.elf
> given by syslinux-3.52-pre8.tar.gz, which normally works fine (to avoid
> any doubt).

:-)

The Stéphane ARQUER hello.exe is reported by hpa to be working.

[1]

> with pxelinux.cfg/C0A8000F :
>
> default rtems
> label rtems
> kernel elf.c32
> append hello.elf
>
> the result is the same, the pc is frozen after the message:
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A8000F
> booting...

That did made me curious.

After getting a simular pxelinux.cfg as above, I did get

| Booting...
| Invalid ELF file or insufficient memory
| boot:

Due the succes report from HPA,
I knew there is something wrong with my setup.

After replacing pxelinux.0 with a newer one.
(in fact making a better match of 'elf.c32' and 'pxelinux.0' version wise )
is 'Booting...' immediate follow-up with a complete black screen
for about five seconds ( 900MHz Intel Pentium III ) and the text

| Initalized console on port CONSOLE
|

| *** HELLO WORLD TEST ***
| Hello World
| *** END OF HELLO WORLD TEST ***
|
| EXECUTIVE SHUTDOWN! Any key to reboot...

in a new screen. Hitting a key indeed reboots.

It was interresting to see 'elf.c32' working, especial the logging
in the TFTP server where the fetch of elf.c32 immediate was followed
with hello.exe.

> >Cheers
> >Geert Stappers
> >--
> >There is indeed some logic in
> >first seeing a question and after that, the answer.

Yes

Anyway, I hope this posting helps getting RTEMS development running for a
netbooting targetcomputer.

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1]
I couldn't understand the reason for introducing a new file in this thread

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Stéphane ARQUER wrote:
> I made the test with another target machine and it works fine. The
> booting is quite long (15-20s) but it's good.
> Perhaps there is a bug with the eth card used on my previous machine.
> I'll try to find out the problem.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Is there any significant differences between the two machines,
*especially* in the amount of memory? It's entirely possible there is a
bug in the library which underlies elf.c32, or in elf.c32 itself.

-hpa

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
I made the test with another target machine and it works fine. The
booting is quite long (15-20s) but it's good.
Perhaps there is a bug with the eth card used on my previous machine.
I'll try to find out the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Stephane

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
The problem is with a P4 2GHz 512M with a 3c905c PXE v2.2
and the second is a P4 3GHz 2048M with an Intel 82573L gigabit eth PXE
v2.1 build 0.84

SA

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Hello Stéphane,

what kind of pxe firmware is used on the 3com 3c905c : original 3 com or
bootix. We expierenced a lot of trouble with FSC PC using bootix firmware.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Leenders

"Stéphane ARQUER"
<stephane.arquer@
c-s.fr> To
Sent by: "For discussion of SYSLINUX and
syslinux-bounces@ tftp-hpa" <syslinux@zytor.com>
zytor.com cc

Subject
19.09.2007 10:20 Re: [syslinux] Load ELF 32bits LSB
executable

Please respond to
For discussion of
SYSLINUX and
tftp-hpa
<syslinux@zytor.c

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
It's the original 3com MBA v4.30

Stéphane.

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Stéphane ARQUER wrote:
> The problem is with a P4 2GHz 512M with a 3c905c PXE v2.2
> and the second is a P4 3GHz 2048M with an Intel 82573L gigabit eth PXE
> v2.1 build 0.84

Vendor and BIOS?

-hpa

Re: Load ELF 32bits LSB executable [ In reply to ]
Hi,

- P4 2GHz 512M with a 3c905c PXE v2.20
vendor: flexPAC from DOLCH
Bios : AWARD bios v6.00PG
PXELINUX doesn't work with this one

- P4 3GHz 2048M with an Intel 82573L gigabit eth PXE
vendor: none (assembly)
Bios: Intel BX97510J.86A.1334.2006.0714.1343
PXELINUX works on this machine

- HP kayak P3 866MHz with PXE v2.20
vendor : HP
Bios: IA.11.08FR