According to the syslinux documentation the function keys can be used
to display a help file, but in the menu of these live distros the
function keys are used to pick the resolution, language and keyboard.

I would like to bind a submenu to these function keys. Is this
possible and how can this be accomplished?
Or if anybody knows a place where this topic is documented, please let
me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: extlinux graphical menu with function keys [ In reply to ]
Bert Verhaeghe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question regarding the syslinux menu as used on the Ubuntu,
> Sabayon, ... live CD's.
> According to the syslinux documentation the function keys can be used
> to display a help file, but in the menu of these live distros the
> function keys are used to pick the resolution, language and keyboard.
>
> I would like to bind a submenu to these function keys. Is this
> possible and how can this be accomplished?
> Or if anybody knows a place where this topic is documented, please let
> me know.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They use a nonstandard patch to syslinux which I consider unsupportable
due to just plain awful code.

-hpa

Re: extlinux graphical menu with function keys [ In reply to ]
Op 04-09-2007 om 12:04 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> Bert Verhaeghe wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a question regarding the syslinux menu as used on the Ubuntu,
> > Sabayon, ... live CD's.
> > According to the syslinux documentation the function keys can be used
> > to display a help file, but in the menu of these live distros the
> > function keys are used to pick the resolution, language and keyboard.
>
> They use a nonstandard patch to syslinux which I consider unsupportable
> due to just plain awful code.

Which means that "original" syslinux does have function keys
that can be used to display a help file.

> > I would like to bind a submenu to these function keys. Is this
> > possible and how can this be accomplished?
> > Or if anybody knows a place where this topic is documented, please let
> > me know.

My advice is to check if the wanted functionallity is in original syslinux.

Cheers
Geert Stappers

Re: extlinux graphical menu with function keys [ In reply to ]
Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 04-09-2007 om 12:04 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
>> Bert Verhaeghe wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a question regarding the syslinux menu as used on the Ubuntu,
>>> Sabayon, ... live CD's.
>>> According to the syslinux documentation the function keys can be used
>>> to display a help file, but in the menu of these live distros the
>>> function keys are used to pick the resolution, language and keyboard.
>> They use a nonstandard patch to syslinux which I consider unsupportable
>> due to just plain awful code.
>
> Which means that "original" syslinux does have function keys
> that can be used to display a help file.
>
>>> I would like to bind a submenu to these function keys. Is this
>>> possible and how can this be accomplished?
>>> Or if anybody knows a place where this topic is documented, please let
>>> me know.
>
> My advice is to check if the wanted functionallity is in original syslinux.

If not, I'm definitely open to suggestions for additions... I just don't
want to move gfxboot.

-hpa

Re: extlinux graphical menu with function keys [ In reply to ]
# Hi all,
#
# I have a question regarding the syslinux menu as used on the Ubuntu,
# Sabayon, ... live CD's.
# According to the syslinux documentation the function keys can be used
# to display a help file, but in the menu of these live distros the
# function keys are used to pick the resolution, language and keyboard.
#
# I would like to bind a submenu to these function keys. Is this
# possible and how can this be accomplished?
# Or if anybody knows a place where this topic is documented, please let
# me know.
#
# Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As it happens, I just finished a (hopefully less crufty) patch
to accomplish exactly what you're after. It's not quite as "pretty"
on the screen as SuSE's stuff, but it's much "prettier" code and
HUGELY easier to use. (I wasted several hours trying to make SuSE's
stuff work on my live-CD...)

http://www.valleyhold.org/~gordons/syslinux-optmenus.diff

The message I sent about it should be hitting the list archive soon,
and the patch also updates README.menu with the new keywords.

HTH, let me know if this works for you!

Re: extlinux graphical menu with function keys [ In reply to ]
Gordon Schumacher wrote:

> As it happens, I just finished a (hopefully less crufty) patch
> to accomplish exactly what you're after. It's not quite as "pretty"
> on the screen as SuSE's stuff, but it's much "prettier" code and
> HUGELY easier to use. (I wasted several hours trying to make SuSE's
> stuff work on my live-CD...)
>
> http://www.valleyhold.org/~gordons/syslinux-optmenus.diff
>
> The message I sent about it should be hitting the list archive soon,
> and the patch also updates README.menu with the new keywords.
>
> HTH, let me know if this works for you!

Indeed... I am very interested in what people's opinion on this is.

-hpa

Re: extlinux graphical menu with function keys [ In reply to ]
Gordon Schumacher wrote:

> As it happens, I just finished a (hopefully less crufty) patch
> to accomplish exactly what you're after. It's not quite as "pretty"
> on the screen as SuSE's stuff, but it's much "prettier" code and
> HUGELY easier to use. (I wasted several hours trying to make SuSE's
> stuff work on my live-CD...)
>
> http://www.valleyhold.org/~gordons/syslinux-optmenus.diff
>
> The message I sent about it should be hitting the list archive soon,
> and the patch also updates README.menu with the new keywords.
>
> HTH, let me know if this works for you!

Hi Gordon,

I just looked at your patch to review it for integration. Unfortunately
it seems to have seriously gotten stale.

Furthermore, I'd rather not introduce new core keywords if at all
possible (OPTMENU, OPTMENUS). Any sane syntax to use them with the MENU
leading keyword? If not, can we stick to a single keyword (perhaps
OPTMENU ENABLE F1...?) If it doesn't make sense, then oh well, but...

Other than that, I really like the code, it's pretty clean and fits
nicely in the framework already established, so I'd like to try it out.
Any chance I could get you to refresh this patch against 3.60-pre4 (or
the "adv" branch in the git tree?)

-hpa

Re: extlinux graphical menu with function keys [ In reply to ]
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> wrote on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:09:09 -0800:

> Hi Gordon,
>
> I just looked at your patch to review it for integration. Unfortunately
> it seems to have seriously gotten stale.

Not a surprise, it's been a while on that one - and I'm not actually
positive I wrote it against the most current thing available then. (I
wrote it over a weekend trying hard to get a project out, and was not
always paying as good attention as I should have been...)
> Furthermore, I'd rather not introduce new core keywords if at all
> possible (OPTMENU, OPTMENUS). Any sane syntax to use them with the MENU
> leading keyword? If not, can we stick to a single keyword (perhaps
> OPTMENU ENABLE F1...?) If it doesn't make sense, then oh well, but...

Let me ponder that for a little bit; I suspect there's something
reasonable, yes.
> Other than that, I really like the code, it's pretty clean and fits
> nicely in the framework already established, so I'd like to try it out.
> Any chance I could get you to refresh this patch against 3.60-pre4 (or
> the "adv" branch in the git tree?)

I can look at that, sure. First I want to get the current crop of
patches up - they're to different areas of the tree anyway :)