when control is passed to the loaded kernel image; i.e., the screen is
not blanked to alphanumeric mode before starting the kernel.

Is it possible for vesamenu.c32 (or syslinux in general) to support
similar functionality?

This would be very handy replacement of all the
bootsplash/gensplash/whatever kernel patches.

Thank you very much for consideration!

Tomas M

Re: vesamenu.c32 retain image [ In reply to ]
Tomas M wrote:
> Hello.
>
> vesamenu.c32 can currently display a PNG image along the menu.
> But when the kernel is started, the image is lost.
>
> LILO supports bmp-retain option, where the bitmap graphic is retained
> when control is passed to the loaded kernel image; i.e., the screen is
> not blanked to alphanumeric mode before starting the kernel.
>
> Is it possible for vesamenu.c32 (or syslinux in general) to support
> similar functionality?
>
> This would be very handy replacement of all the
> bootsplash/gensplash/whatever kernel patches.
>
> Thank you very much for consideration!

It's a bit messy, because syslinux will reset the screen in order to
write the "Loading" message; however, it's just a matter of sorting out
the proper loose ends.

I think I'd like to leave this for post-3.52, but that doesn't mean I'm
rejecting the idea, just that I'd like to get 3.52 out the door.

-hpa

Re: vesamenu.c32 retain image [ In reply to ]
> It's a bit messy, because syslinux will reset the screen in order to
> write the "Loading" message;

I understand.
When syslinux loads the kernel, it's already out of vesamenu control.

So perhaps add two options
- one for vesamenu.c32, to retain the image
(or preferably to display a new one when the menu finishes,
which will be shown during kernel startup)
(so it can display a text like 'Linux is loading, wait')
- another option for syslinux/isolinux/etc, to be quiet and don't reset
the screen

> however, it's just a matter of sorting out
> the proper loose ends.
>
> I think I'd like to leave this for post-3.52, but that doesn't mean I'm
> rejecting the idea, just that I'd like to get 3.52 out the door.

I understand.
I'd be very happy if the retained image could appear soon.

As I try LILO and the bmp-retain option, it seems it works only
partially. If the kernel starts to output any text, image vanishes. And
my kernel 2.6.21.5 outputs something even with 'quiet' boot parameter.

So before the implementation for syslinux starts, I'd suggest to verify
whether it is even possible to completely start Linux kernel (up to
/sbin/init execution) with an image on the screen.

Thanks!

Tomas M

Re: vesamenu.c32 retain image [ In reply to ]
Tomas M wrote:

> So before the implementation for syslinux starts, I'd suggest to verify
> whether it is even possible to completely start Linux kernel (up to
> /sbin/init execution) with an image on the screen.

It isn't in stock Linux, as far as I know.

-hpa