Mailing List Archive

Redirect on both VGA and serial?
Dear List

maybe a simple question. We have a pxelinx server in our network which only sent the output on a serial console. Now we want both output on VGA and serial console. I think pxelinux redirect the output default on VGA. So I think the only changes I have made is to add "tty0" into the "label" section in the "default" file. Is this correct?

Mit freundlichem Gruß / Best regards

Oliver Klein

Re: Redirect on both VGA and serial? [ In reply to ]
Oliver Klein wrote:
> Dear List
>
> maybe a simple question.
> We have a pxelinx server in our network which only sent the output on a serial console.
> Now we want both output on VGA and serial console. I think pxelinux redirect the output default on VGA.
> So I think the only changes I have made is to add "tty0" into the "label" section in the "default" file.
> Is this correct?

Are you really refering to the (pxelinux) server which could be anything you are able to install a DHCP and a TFTP
server on, or are you actually refering to the "config" files (pxelinux.cfg/...) stored on the server which
control the clients' behavior.

In the later case it would be helpful, if you would send (the significant part) of your
config file(s) and furthermore tell the list which version of pxelinux you are using.
Still assuming we are in the "later case" I guess that there is a "SERAIL port ..."
statement at the very beginning of your config files which
<quote>
"Enables a serial port to act as the console"
</quote>
and possibly a "CONSOLE ..." statement.

See
http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php
and
http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php

for details.

Axel

Re: Redirect on both VGA and serial? [ In reply to ]
Oliver Klein wrote:
> Dear List
>
> maybe a simple question. We have a pxelinx server in our network which only sent the output on a serial console. Now we want both output on VGA and serial console. I think pxelinux redirect the output default on VGA. So I think the only changes I have made is to add "tty0" into the "label" section in the "default" file. Is this correct?

What you're talking about is actually the kernel, not pxelinux.

For the kernel, to get output on both you would have to do put
"console=tty0 console=ttyS0" as part of your "append" statement.

Now, a subtlety is that user space (as opposed to kernel) output will
only be sent to the last thing listed on the command line. You can't
get that sent to two places.

-hpa

Re: Redirect on both VGA and serial? [ In reply to ]
Dear Axel,

yes we´re in the later case;)...i think the "CONSOLE" flag is want i´m looking for...thx for your help. I read the manual but I didn´t saw the part with console...

Re: Redirect on both VGA and serial? [ In reply to ]
Oliver Klein wrote:
> Dear Axel,
>
> yes we´re in the later case;)...i think the "CONSOLE" flag is want i´m looking for...thx for your help.
> I read the manual but I didn´t saw the part with console...

But don't overlook hpa's comment.
The "pxelinux.cfg/..." settings only refer to the pxelinux part of the boot process
and not to kernel messages ...

... and please reply below the previous posts.

Axel