Mailing List Archive

ipappend in pxelinux
I've just gotten pxelinux working (very cool) to boot a Dell PowerEdge.

Everything is great, except for one bit. I turned on the IPAPPEND option,
and when the machine boots (configured for nfs-root, IP kernel-level
autoconf with no options) it says: "ip-config: incomplete network
configuration information".

According to the syslinux.doc file, the ipappend option appends a line to
the kernel command line similar to:

ip=<client-ip>:<boot-server-ip>:<gw-ip>:<netmask>

According to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/nfsroot.txt, the option should
look like:

(this is for linux 2.4.13)

If I manually add the above to an APPEND line, it boots like a champ. But
I'd like to have it work automagically.

Is this due to a change in how the linux kernel ip autoconf works, or am I
completely missing something? Is there an easy way to change that to be
more like:

ip=<client-ip>:<boot-server-ip>:<gw-ip>:<netmask>:::off

or even

ip=<client-ip>:<boot-server-ip>:<gw-ip>:<netmask>::eth0:off

?

Thanks,

-Joe Patterson, CCNP, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer
The Asgard Group
(954)343-4370 x102
jpatterson@asgardgroup.com
ipappend in pxelinux [ In reply to ]
Joe Patterson wrote:

> Is this due to a change in how the linux kernel ip autoconf works, or am I
> completely missing something? Is there an easy way to change that to be
> more like:
>
> ip=<client-ip>:<boot-server-ip>:<gw-ip>:<netmask>:::off

This is doable, but I'm worried about it being compatible with older
kernels.

> or even
>
> ip=<client-ip>:<boot-server-ip>:<gw-ip>:<netmask>::eth0:off

How do you know that the kernel will call it "eth0"?

Since apparently other kernel versions have accepted the current form, I
would much rather have this fixed in the kernel.

-hpa