Mailing List Archive

Help with srs-socketmapd 0.32rc3
I'm trying to integrate SRS with my Sendmail mail server as I forward
a small quantity of email to a webmail account. I've gone with
srs-socketmapd as it seemed easy to configure.

The only problem is, it SRS re-writes even for local delivery (via the
cyrusv2 mailer). I did find srs_no_rewrite, but no documentation on
the format. Simply dropping "cyrusv2" into it didn't work (and yes, I
checked permissions). A quick trawl of the list archive found
nothing, neither did Google. If anybody has any ideas what I'm doing
wrong I'd appreciate it.

Alternatively, if somebody can provide a pointer to a better
documented solution (ideally a milter) that doesn't have a large
memory footprint (and works as expected), I'm happy to switch.

--
Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: Help with srs-socketmapd 0.32rc3 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 5 May 2008, Rob MacGregor wrote:

> The only problem is, it SRS re-writes even for local delivery (via the
> cyrusv2 mailer). I did find srs_no_rewrite, but no documentation on
> the format. Simply dropping "cyrusv2" into it didn't work (and yes, I
> checked permissions). A quick trawl of the list archive found
> nothing, neither did Google. If anybody has any ideas what I'm doing
> wrong I'd appreciate it.

If it is anything like the pysrs no-srs-mailers config, it looks like
this:

# no-srs-mailers - list hosts we should not SRS encode for when we
# send to them. E.g. primary MX servers for which we are a secondary.
# NOTE - these are target hosts (e.g. RHS of mailertable), not target domains.
#
[192.168.9.50]
[192.168.9.9]
inwave.com.
codeshare.ca.
mail.uhfco.net.

> Alternatively, if somebody can provide a pointer to a better
> documented solution (ideally a milter) that doesn't have a large
> memory footprint (and works as expected), I'm happy to switch.

As soon as I get sendmail-8.14 packaged, I'll update pymilter to use
chg_mfrom. Top shows this for pysrs:

PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME COMMAND
1349 mail 9 0 3232 2448 1452 S 0.0 0.9 0:43 python2.4

and ps shows this:
F S UID PID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN TTY TIME CMD
000 S 8 1349 0 69 0 - 1360 wait_f ? 00:00:43âpython2.4

Which is similar to what you'd get with an SRS only milter in python.

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

Re: Help with srs-socketmapd 0.32rc3 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com> wrote:

> If it is anything like the pysrs no-srs-mailers config, it looks like
> this:
>
> # no-srs-mailers - list hosts we should not SRS encode for when we
> # send to them. E.g. primary MX servers for which we are a secondary.
> # NOTE - these are target hosts (e.g. RHS of mailertable), not target domains.
> #
> [192.168.9.50]
> [192.168.9.9]
> inwave.com.
> codeshare.ca.
> mail.uhfco.net.

Ah, I wonder if that's where I'm going wrong, I assumed it was for the
sendmail definition of a mailer.

> As soon as I get sendmail-8.14 packaged, I'll update pymilter to use
> chg_mfrom. Top shows this for pysrs:
<---SNIP--->
> Which is similar to what you'd get with an SRS only milter in python.

Thanks. I'll have another look at that - I take it that to integrate
it with Sendmail I'll need pymilter? I'd RTFM, but I couldn't find
the FM ;)

Re: Help with srs-socketmapd 0.32rc3 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 8 May 2008, Rob MacGregor wrote:

> > Which is similar to what you'd get with an SRS only milter in python.
>
> Thanks. I'll have another look at that - I take it that to integrate
> it with Sendmail I'll need pymilter? I'd RTFM, but I couldn't find
> the FM ;)

Pysrs currently does not require pymilter. It is a socketd and CF code like
the one you are using. However, sendmail beginning in 8-14 supports replacing
MFROM in the milter API, allowing pysrs to require pymilter. That is not
a bad thing - it is easier IMHO than CF code.

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

Re: Help with srs-socketmapd 0.32rc3 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com> wrote:

> Pysrs currently does not require pymilter. It is a socketd and CF code like
> the one you are using. However, sendmail beginning in 8-14 supports replacing
> MFROM in the milter API, allowing pysrs to require pymilter. That is not
> a bad thing - it is easier IMHO than CF code.

The less hacks I have to apply the better IMO. I'll wait for the
changes to pymilter you mentioned and then give it a whirl. Thanks.

(And if any list admin is reading, any time I post to the list I get a
rejection from "junkmail@faxwhiz.net" telling me I'm not authorised to
email them)