Mailing List Archive

RFC 4480 Section 9.1 - WAS: {Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation}
On Dec 2, 2010 at 12:10 -0800, Neil Gunton wrote:
=>Ok, so I'm not sure where that leaves me with regard to what to put in my SPF
=>record, since obviously (well, presumably, since you brought it up) this
=>scenario could happen any time, with any of my users. So what to do?
=>
=>Sorry, this just seems a bit confusing because people are telling me to
=>"test", but I can't predict what situations or people I will be dealing with
=>in the future.

To the SPF guru's.....

Why is RFC 4408 section 9.1 not mentioned/suggested/used more often?

Re: RFC 4480 Section 9.1 - WAS: {Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation} [ In reply to ]
At 21:54 02/12/2010 Thursday, Derek Diget wrote:

>On Dec 2, 2010 at 12:10 -0800, Neil Gunton wrote:
>=>Ok, so I'm not sure where that leaves me with regard to what to put in my SPF
>=>record, since obviously (well, presumably, since you brought it up) this
>=>scenario could happen any time, with any of my users. So what to do?
>=>
>=>Sorry, this just seems a bit confusing because people are telling me to
>=>"test", but I can't predict what situations or people I will be dealing with
>=>in the future.
>
>To the SPF guru's.....
>
>Why is RFC 4408 section 9.1 not mentioned/suggested/used more often?

because few real admins have that level of control of their dns server
{to turn on/off query logging)
and those that do usually already know the hostnames holos/ehlos used within their domain already

and those with large enough domains as to not know, infrequently 'own' all the authoritative DNS servers
as they are large enough to need external slaves and other forms of high availability

(my guess)

Re: RFC 4480 Section 9.1 - WAS: {Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation} [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, December 02, 2010 05:33:07 pm alan wrote:
> At 21:54 02/12/2010 Thursday, Derek Diget wrote:
> >On Dec 2, 2010 at 12:10 -0800, Neil Gunton wrote:
> >=>Ok, so I'm not sure where that leaves me with regard to what to put in
> >my SPF =>record, since obviously (well, presumably, since you brought it
> >up) this =>scenario could happen any time, with any of my users. So what
> >to do? =>
> >=>Sorry, this just seems a bit confusing because people are telling me to
> >=>"test", but I can't predict what situations or people I will be dealing
> >with =>in the future.
> >
> >To the SPF guru's.....
> >
> >Why is RFC 4408 section 9.1 not mentioned/suggested/used more often?
>
> because few real admins have that level of control of their dns server
> {to turn on/off query logging)
> and those that do usually already know the hostnames holos/ehlos used
> within their domain already
>
> and those with large enough domains as to not know, infrequently 'own' all
> the authoritative DNS servers as they are large enough to need external
> slaves and other forms of high availability
>
> (my guess)

Plus admins are busy people and this is a non-trivial exercise to set up,
extract the data, and evaluate. Most people don't have that kind of time to
invest.

That said, I'd seen a lot of very large SPF rollouts with very incomplete
records that more of this kind of work could help out with.

Scott K