Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
Neil Gunton wrote:
> Andrew Culver wrote:
>> Does it? Look at the Return-path: header to see the SMTP MAIL FROM
>> address that they used. SPF looks at this, not the From: header which
>> your mail client displays.
>
> Ok, for example I have an email from paypal which is a notification of a
> payment to me. It is "From" the person who sent the payment, but the
> Return-path header is payment@paypal.com. So if I sent someone a payment
> via paypal, and my SPF has either ~all or -all, how would one or the
> other affect the recipient getting the ensuing notification email from
> paypal, assuming the recipient's email provider checks SPF?

The Return-path header is indicating what the SMTP MAIL FROM address
was. This is what SPF recipients look at. In this case, receivers would
look at the SPF record of paypal.com, not your domain. Paypal is doing
it right. (See Marc's thread for how someone in Paypal's situation could
do things wrong.)

>> Another problem you may run into is forwarding by other hosts. Suppose
>> user@yourhost sends mail to user@forwarder who then forwards to
>> user@target. If the @target mail server is doing SPF checking and the
>> @forwarder mail server is not performing address rewriting (SRS), then
>> the @target mail server will see mail coming from the @forwarding mail
>> server with @yourhost in the SMTP MAIL FROM. This is a problem of the
>> forwarder (to implement SRS) or the target (to whitelist the
>> forwarder)... but users may complain to you all the same. This is
>> where testing with ~all can be useful.
>
> Ok, so I'm not sure where that leaves me with regard to what to put in
> my SPF record, since obviously (well, presumably, since you brought it
> up) this scenario could happen any time, with any of my users. So what
> to do?
>
> Sorry, this just seems a bit confusing because people are telling me to
> "test", but I can't predict what situations or people I will be dealing
> with in the future.
>
> I can already tell that, narrowly speaking for my own simple case of
> dealing with sending emails to gmail and Yahoo!, that even -all works
> fine. But I don't know how you test for all possible (unknown) future
> situations to determine which form to use for all, like that forwarder
> scenario above, or mailing lists or whatever.
>
> Any advice on how to do this?

In the case of forwarders and mailing lists, this likely wouldn't change
your SPF record if you ran into problems. The problem would be with the
forwarder or mailing list operators to fix, since it's their problem.

Using ?all for a few weeks may help to identify these cases. By using
?all, messages may end up in a user's Spam folder rather than being
rejected. At least the recipient would still get the message and
hopefully alert you of the problem. You could then correct it or contact
the person responsible for correcting the problem before switching to -all.

You could also just set a low TTL (5 minutes) on your SPF record and set
it to -all. If you see any bounces that you don't expect, you can back
out with minimal impact. Don't forget to up the TTL when you're done
testing.

Andrew

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
> Does it?

Yes :-(

PayPal has a number of ways of sending email. Their subscription payment
system tends to forge the address of the recipient as the envelope from
address. I told them about this, and they ignored me.

Vic.

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
Andrew Culver wrote:
> The Return-path header is indicating what the SMTP MAIL FROM address
> was. This is what SPF recipients look at. In this case, receivers would
> look at the SPF record of paypal.com, not your domain. Paypal is doing
> it right. (See Marc's thread for how someone in Paypal's situation could
> do things wrong.)

> In the case of forwarders and mailing lists, this likely wouldn't change
> your SPF record if you ran into problems. The problem would be with the
> forwarder or mailing list operators to fix, since it's their problem.

I was just going by Vic's comment "Do you use any mailing lists? Do any
of them forge your envelope address? Do you use any non-conformant mail
subscriptions (like PayPal, for example)?" - this makes it sound like if
I use '-all' then Paypal and mailing lists will be messed up. But from
what you're saying, Paypal seems to be doing it right, and most mailing
lists are probably doing it right. So, still kind of confused. Some
people are telling me to be very afraid of some unspecified problem,
which I can't test for since I have no idea what systems I may encounter
down the road. Just trying it out for a week or a month isn't really a
valid test, since I have no idea if something new will pop up a week
after that.

> Using ?all for a few weeks may help to identify these cases. By using
> ?all, messages may end up in a user's Spam folder rather than being
> rejected.

Ok, but how would I then diagnose that SPF was the cause of the message
being shunted to the spam folder? If the recipient forwards it back to
me, will there necessarily be some headers or other information in there
indicating what happened, and why?

I have had a suspicion that spammers previously used the ip address
block in the datacenter where my server is colocated. The address itself
is not on any of the major block lists, but for a while providers like
comcast and gmail would consistently and mysteriously shunt my messages
to the spam folder, or even bounce them altogether. There was seldom, if
ever, any explanation about why this happened. That was what spurred my
whole foray into making SPF records, as an effort to try to make my
emails more legitimate to these increasingly over zealous spam filters.

> At least the recipient would still get the message and
> hopefully alert you of the problem. You could then correct it or contact
> the person responsible for correcting the problem before switching to -all.
>
> You could also just set a low TTL (5 minutes) on your SPF record and set
> it to -all. If you see any bounces that you don't expect, you can back
> out with minimal impact. Don't forget to up the TTL when you're done
> testing.

Ok, that sounds reasonable, I think I'll try that one. So that means
setting $TTL 300 in the bind configs for each domain, right? If I
haven't seen any big problems after a few weeks, then up it again to
86400. As long as I'm paying attention, I think I should be able to spot
any situations where emails are not getting through suddenly.

Thanks again for the advice, this has been very useful.

Neil

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
> You could also just set a low TTL (5 minutes) on your SPF record and set
> it to -all.

Bear in mind that some DNS servers - particularly those belonging to
cheapo ISPs, it seems - completely ignore short TTLs. You set it to an
hour, they use 2 days...

Vic.

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
Vic wrote:
> PayPal has a number of ways of sending email. Their subscription payment
> system tends to forge the address of the recipient as the envelope from
> address. I told them about this, and they ignored me.

> Bear in mind that some DNS servers - particularly those belonging to
> cheapo ISPs, it seems - completely ignore short TTLs. You set it to an
> hour, they use 2 days...

Ok, now I'm depressed.

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
>> In the case of forwarders and mailing lists, this likely wouldn't change
>> your SPF record if you ran into problems. The problem would be with the
>> forwarder or mailing list operators to fix, since it's their problem.

I disagree with this comment.

Although the fault might be in the forwarding software that does things
wrong, that's not where the blame ends up. If you make a change and
something breaks, many people have a real problem taking the message that
it's their fault, not yours.

> this makes it sound like if
> I use '-all' then Paypal and mailing lists will be messed up.

No - it means that they *might* be messed up. If you roll out SPF
cautiously, you can identify any such breakage without too much
inconvenience. Or you can just stick in a "-all" and try your hand. I
don't care.

> But from what you're saying, Paypal seems to be doing it right

PayPal are one of the worst offenders for forging envelope addresses - but
not on all of their services. Having one that works doesn't mean that they
all will.

> and most mailing lists are probably doing it right.

And many are doing it wrong.

> Some
> people are telling me to be very afraid of some unspecified problem,

No-one is saying any such thing.

All you've been told is that it's a good idea to roll out cautiously, and
do some testing before getting into a situation that might cause problems.
But this is your choice.

> I have had a suspicion that spammers previously used the ip address
> block in the datacenter where my server is colocated.

SPF is unlikely to make any difference to that situation whatsoever.

> That was what spurred my
> whole foray into making SPF records, as an effort to try to make my
> emails more legitimate to these increasingly over zealous spam filters.

Remember that SPF is ***NOT*** and anti-spam measure; it's an anti-forgery
measure.

> Ok, that sounds reasonable, I think I'll try that one. So that means
> setting $TTL 300 in the bind configs for each domain, right?

This might fail. Some providers completely ignore TTL if it doesn't suit
them.

Vic.

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
At 18:29 02/12/2010 Thursday, Marc Olivé wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Let me please join your conversation in the "asking" part of it.
>
>Andrew, you introduce an interesting question to me:
>
>"If, for example, you hired a marketing company to send communications to your customers. If they sent emails from their servers as you, one option would be to add their servers to your SPF record. (There are other, often better solutions for this.)"
>

>Recently, I've recommended a client of us (we are a small web agency offering e-mail marketing solutions) to add our server's ip4 to their SPF record.
>
>Could you suggest a better solution for that case? They send mail to a legitimate list of their customers and interested people, no spamming. They send mail from the servers behind their domain, and we send mail on their behalf from a server we manage.

a common solution is to publish

v=spf1 ip4:myip1 ip4:myip2 etc... ?include:spfrecord-of-esp -all

thus my own ips have a default + pass
the esp who sends mail 'forged as me' but not under my control entirely lists their ip's in an spf record they control {so they can move servers without breaking clients) and i include it wit a ? to say its not me but its not forged treat neutrally, then all others are a - or ~ fail depending on my userbase

another is to do per user spf

v=spf1 redirect=%{l}._spf1.%{d2}

ie lookup localpart._spf1.domain for this users apf

so my-esp-from-address@mydomain has an spf of v=spf1 include:spfrecord-of-esp -all
and me@mydomain has an spf of v=spf1 ip4:myip1 ip4:myip2 etc... -all
and address-that-dosnt-exist@mydomain has an spf of v=spf1 -all

the former is common the latter is my preferred solution, but needs a compitent and diligent admin

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
At 18:42 02/12/2010 Thursday, Neil Gunton wrote:
>alan wrote:
>>- all means HARDFAIL all others (ie you recommend that they refuse mail from any other source)
>>~ all means SOFTFAIL all others (ie you recommend treating other sources with suspicion)
>>? all means NEUTRAL all others (ie you recommend treating other sources neither positively(pass) or negatively(fail) just treat them the way you do email with no spf)
>
>Ok, Vic raised excellent points in his previous email about me being part of mailing lists (ironically, including this one) and also Paypal, who sends out emails (I think) as being "from" me. I do use paypal on my site for incoming donations, and I do on occasion paypal other people money, so that might be very relevant.
>
>Accordingly, I have changed to ?all now, as recommended for testing.
>
>The next question is, let's say everything seems to be working fine, at what point would I change this to ~all? Or is ?all a good way to leave it long term?
>
>Would ?all make some email providers treat emails coming from me with any more suspicion than usual, since it is apparently more open to being spoofed? I know it recommends neither positive or negative, but I'm just wondering if some of the more aggressive email filters out there might have a "presumed guilty" policy for more open SPF records.

best way to describe this is look at what others use
gmail ends ?all
hotmail ends ~all
yahoo wont touch spf

in short no real downside

-all is more (IMO) for those of us like me willing to loose mail in order to find/highlight and try and convince them to fix, idiots who do run non whitelisting capable receivers with forwarding, bad(forging) envelope-sender mailinglists etc..

but its not really what i would recommend to any business that has to send mail to every dumbly setup joe out there (and expect it to survive their broken setups)

its also why i do per-user spf thus each of my users with addresses within some of the shared domains i admin gets to pick for themselves ~all -all or ?all

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
On 12/02/2010 03:22 PM, alan wrote:

>> Ok, Vic raised excellent points in his previous email about me being part of mailing lists (ironically, including this one) and also Paypal, who sends out emails (I think) as being "from" me. I do use paypal on my site for incoming donations, and I do on occasion paypal other people money, so that might be very relevant.

The part you keep glossing over: Neither paypal's regular payment
processing (I can't vouch for the subscription system that another
posted mentioned uphthread) nor this mailing list send mail with the
envelope-from as you. In Paypal's case, it was

"Dec 2 18:14:44 sb1 postfix/qmgr[9145]: F27F81C102:
from=<payment@paypal.com>, size=9294, nrcpt=1 (queue active)"

And in the case of the mailing list it was from
listbox+trampoline+gobbledygook@... well .. You can look through your
own MTA logs for the exact value

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
Andrew Culver wrote:
> The Return-path header is indicating what the SMTP MAIL FROM address
> was. This is what SPF recipients look at. In this case, receivers would
> look at the SPF record of paypal.com, not your domain. Paypal is doing
> it right. (See Marc's thread for how someone in Paypal's situation could
> do things wrong.)

I give users on my site the ability to contact other members via a web
form, which hides the recipient's email address and sends the email
behind the scenes on the server. Currently the emails are sent with the
'From' and 'Reply-to' headers set to the name and email of the person
sending the message, which seemed untuitive previously (since they are
effectively sending an email via the website).

However, the above comment about the Return-path header made me check
what that was being set to. In my case, it is being set to the same as
the 'From' address, which is bad because my server may not be allowed to
send email "from" arbitrary addresses.

I think I'd like to instruct my code (or my sendmail) to set the
Return-path header to be an address @ my domain, so that if/when it gets
checked for SPF, it is checked against my domain and not the user who I
am sending on behalf of. But I can't seem to find any way to do this.
Does anybody have any clues on that? Is it something I would set in my
Perl code, or in the sendmail config? Paypal seems to do it, but I have
no idea, it just seems to use whatever is in the 'From' address for
generating the 'Return-path'.

I wonder if this is why some of my contact messages don't get through -
maybe they seem to be coming from other domains (in the Return-path) but
the SPF for those domains obviously won't allow my server to be sending
email for them, so it gets treated as suspicious. Does that make any sense?

Thanks again,

Neil

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
Neil Gunton wrote:
> Andrew Culver wrote:
>> The Return-path header is indicating what the SMTP MAIL FROM address
>> was. This is what SPF recipients look at. In this case, receivers
>> would look at the SPF record of paypal.com, not your domain. Paypal is
>> doing it right. (See Marc's thread for how someone in Paypal's
>> situation could do things wrong.)
>
> I think I'd like to instruct my code (or my sendmail) to set the
> Return-path header to be an address @ my domain, so that if/when it gets
> checked for SPF, it is checked against my domain and not the user who I
> am sending on behalf of. But I can't seem to find any way to do this.
> Does anybody have any clues on that? Is it something I would set in my
> Perl code, or in the sendmail config? Paypal seems to do it, but I have
> no idea, it just seems to use whatever is in the 'From' address for
> generating the 'Return-path'.
>
> I wonder if this is why some of my contact messages don't get through -
> maybe they seem to be coming from other domains (in the Return-path) but
> the SPF for those domains obviously won't allow my server to be sending
> email for them, so it gets treated as suspicious. Does that make any sense?

I did some testing on my website, registering two users - one with my
gmail test address, and another with my yahoo test address. I then
posted a classified on my site with the gmail account, and then logged
on with the yahoo account and sent a contact email to the gmail acount's
classified. Sure enough, when I went to look at the message on Gmail,
the SPF result was only "neutral", presumably because yahoo.com doesn't
have an SPF record at all. If Yahoo did publish one, then that email
might well have not gotten through. I need a way to make my
'Return-path' point to my own domain, rather than one based on the
arbitrary third party 'from' address.

The only way I can currently make this work is via a kludge: Set the
'From' name to be the actual name of the person sending the message, but
the 'from' email address is set to 'notifications@mydomain.com'. I also
set the 'Reply-to' header to be the complete address of the sender, so
that replies will work correctly. So that means the 'From' email address
is now one at my domain, which passes Google's SPF check even though the
email is being sent on behalf of someone else. It has the effect I want,
at least, but somehow it feels kind of dirty, probably because it is.
It's a kludge, but I just wanted to see if it affected the delivery, and
it did.

Is this a bad way to do it? Or is there some other way to get the
Return-path header set properly, as paypal does it?

Thanks again,

Neil

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
At 23:29 02/12/2010 Thursday, Neil Gunton wrote:
>Andrew Culver wrote:
>>The Return-path header is indicating what the SMTP MAIL FROM address was. This is what SPF recipients look at. In this case, receivers would look at the SPF record of paypal.com, not your domain. Paypal is doing it right. (See Marc's thread for how someone in Paypal's situation could do things wrong.)
>
>I give users on my site the ability to contact other members via a web form, which hides the recipient's email address and sends the email behind the scenes on the server. Currently the emails are sent with the 'From' and 'Reply-to' headers set to the name and email of the person sending the message, which seemed untuitive previously (since they are effectively sending an email via the website).
>
>However, the above comment about the Return-path header made me check what that was being set to. In my case, it is being set to the same as the 'From' address, which is bad because my server may not be allowed to send email "from" arbitrary addresses.
>
>I think I'd like to instruct my code (or my sendmail) to set the Return-path header to be an address @ my domain, so that if/when it gets checked for SPF, it is checked against my domain and not the user who I am sending on behalf of. But I can't seem to find any way to do this. Does anybody have any clues on that? Is it something I would set in my Perl code, or in the sendmail config? Paypal seems to do it, but I have no idea, it just seems to use whatever is in the 'From' address for generating the 'Return-path'.

its set with the -f whatever@domain
the user calling sendmail must be in the 'trusted-user' list (usually apache)

I mentioned this in a previous email, its in the sendmail manual
<http://www.sendmail.com/pdfs/open_source/installation_and_op_guide.pdf>http://www.sendmail.com/pdfs/open_source/installation_and_op_guide.pdf

>I wonder if this is why some of my contact messages don't get through - maybe they seem to be coming from other domains (in the Return-path) but the SPF for those domains obviously won't allow my server to be sending email for them, so it gets treated as suspicious. Does that make any sense?

yes totally

just ensure that the envelope sender you set exists so that you can also read and react to errors/bounces etc

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
At 00:15 03/12/2010 Friday, Neil Gunton wrote:
>Neil Gunton wrote:
>>Andrew Culver wrote:
>>>The Return-path header is indicating what the SMTP MAIL FROM address was. This is what SPF recipients look at. In this case, receivers would look at the SPF record of paypal.com, not your domain. Paypal is doing it right. (See Marc's thread for how someone in Paypal's situation could do things wrong.)
>>I think I'd like to instruct my code (or my sendmail) to set the Return-path header to be an address @ my domain, so that if/when it gets checked for SPF, it is checked against my domain and not the user who I am sending on behalf of. But I can't seem to find any way to do this. Does anybody have any clues on that? Is it something I would set in my Perl code, or in the sendmail config? Paypal seems to do it, but I have no idea, it just seems to use whatever is in the 'From' address for generating the 'Return-path'.
>>I wonder if this is why some of my contact messages don't get through - maybe they seem to be coming from other domains (in the Return-path) but the SPF for those domains obviously won't allow my server to be sending email for them, so it gets treated as suspicious. Does that make any sense?
>
>I did some testing on my website, registering two users - one with my gmail test address, and another with my yahoo test address. I then posted a classified on my site with the gmail account, and then logged on with the yahoo account and sent a contact email to the gmail acount's classified. Sure enough, when I went to look at the message on Gmail, the SPF result was only "neutral", presumably because yahoo.com doesn't have an SPF record at all. If Yahoo did publish one, then that email might well have not gotten through. I need a way to make my 'Return-path' point to my own domain, rather than one based on the arbitrary third party 'from' address.
>
>The only way I can currently make this work is via a kludge: Set the 'From' name to be the actual name of the person sending the message, but the 'from' email address is set to 'notifications@mydomain.com'. I also set the 'Reply-to' header to be the complete address of the sender, so that replies will work correctly. So that means the 'From' email address is now one at my domain, which passes Google's SPF check even though the email is being sent on behalf of someone else. It has the effect I want, at least, but somehow it feels kind of dirty, probably because it is. It's a kludge, but I just wanted to see if it affected the delivery, and it did.
>
>Is this a bad way to do it? Or is there some other way to get the Return-path header set properly, as paypal does it?

see previous mail
though you should also set
from: "theirname" <their@address>
Sender: "theirname" <notifications@mydomain>

in case a receiver is using sender-id (idiots) but if they are this will pass their checks

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
alan wrote:
> see previous mail
> though you should also set
> from: "theirname" <their@address>
> Sender: "theirname" <notifications@mydomain>
>
> in case a receiver is using sender-id (idiots) but if they are this will pass their checks

No, I need to use mydomain in the 'from', because that is what is
apparently being used to generate the 'Return-path' header. So I now have:

from: "theirname" <notifications@mydomain>

That seems to work with Google mail. Is this what you meant, or am I
still doing it wrong?

One downside of doing the 'from' this way is that the user could
conceivably click on that address to add to their address book, and it
would be the wrong address.

I have never used the 'Sender' header before, but I don't mind adding it
if it will help with Sender-id.

Thanks again for your patience!

Neil

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
No, Return-path is indicating what was used in the SMTP MAIL FROM (aka
envelope sender). In an email you have the envelope SMTP commands, then
the headers, then the body or mime parts. You should use
notifications@mydomain in the SMTP MAIL FROM and the rest as alan described.

Andrew

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
Andrew Culver wrote:
> No, Return-path is indicating what was used in the SMTP MAIL FROM (aka
> envelope sender). In an email you have the envelope SMTP commands, then
> the headers, then the body or mime parts. You should use
> notifications@mydomain in the SMTP MAIL FROM and the rest as alan
> described.

Ok, I don't know how to set the SMTP MAIL FROM. I use a Perl module
called Mail::Sender, which I give parameters like 'from', 'cc' and other
headers. This then connects to my local mail server (sendmail, on the
same machine). Any idea on how I go about setting this SMTP MAIL FROM?
Is that done outside perl in the sendmail config, or from within perl at
send time?

Sorry for my ignorance, there's obviously much I don't know about email.

Thanks for any clues,

Neil

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
At 02:04 03/12/2010 Friday, Neil Gunton wrote:
>Andrew Culver wrote:
>>No, Return-path is indicating what was used in the SMTP MAIL FROM (aka envelope sender). In an email you have the envelope SMTP commands, then the headers, then the body or mime parts. You should use notifications@mydomain in the SMTP MAIL FROM and the rest as alan described.
>
>Ok, I don't know how to set the SMTP MAIL FROM. I use a Perl module called Mail::Sender, which I give parameters like 'from', 'cc' and other headers. This then connects to my local mail server (sendmail, on the same machine). Any idea on how I go about setting this SMTP MAIL FROM? Is that done outside perl in the sendmail config, or from within perl at send time?
>
>Sorry for my ignorance, there's obviously much I don't know about email.#

as i have said now in the 2 mails you seem to have ignored

its -f <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
in sendmail (i included a link to the manual searching it for '-f' will give you the details

i have no idea about the perl module between your code and sendmail, if it dosn't offer this basic facility consider using a different perl module one that does

as always to use -f (as mentioned each time before the user running the code must be in the sendmail trusted users)

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
alan wrote:
> At 02:04 03/12/2010 Friday, Neil Gunton wrote:
>> Andrew Culver wrote:
>>> No, Return-path is indicating what was used in the SMTP MAIL FROM (aka envelope sender). In an email you have the envelope SMTP commands, then the headers, then the body or mime parts. You should use notifications@mydomain in the SMTP MAIL FROM and the rest as alan described.
>> Ok, I don't know how to set the SMTP MAIL FROM. I use a Perl module called Mail::Sender, which I give parameters like 'from', 'cc' and other headers. This then connects to my local mail server (sendmail, on the same machine). Any idea on how I go about setting this SMTP MAIL FROM? Is that done outside perl in the sendmail config, or from within perl at send time?
>>
>> Sorry for my ignorance, there's obviously much I don't know about email.#
>
> as i have said now in the 2 mails you seem to have ignored
>
> its -f <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> in sendmail (i included a link to the manual searching it for '-f' will give you the details
>
> i have no idea about the perl module between your code and sendmail, if it dosn't offer this basic facility consider using a different perl module one that does
>
> as always to use -f (as mentioned each time before the user running the code must be in the sendmail trusted users)

Ah, ok, I'm sorry I missed that. I am not currently calling sendmail
directly, I have never done it that way in fact, but I do seem to
remember seeing references to it. I will do some research to see how I
can convert my existing code to this method. I'm quite happy to change
it if it means I can get better control over SMTP MAIL FROM.

I wasn't intentionally ignoring your previous advice, it just didn't
"click". Sorry about that.

Thanks again,

Neil

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
> Ok, I don't know how to set the SMTP MAIL FROM. I use a Perl module
> called Mail::Sender, which I give parameters like 'from', 'cc' and other
> headers.

http://search.cpan.org/~jenda/Mail-Sender-0.8.16/Sender.pm has the man
page for Mail::Sender.

It specifies using the parameter "replyto" to set the reply-to address.
This will doubtless require the calling process to be owned by one of the
MTA's trusted users.

Vic.

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
Parameters

from

fake_from

If not specified we use the value of from.

It looks like you can use from to specify the SMTP MAIL FROM and then
fake_from to set a From: header. If no fake_from is specified, the from
address is used in the From: header.

Andrew

Re: Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
Ho ricevuto il messaggio. Sono in ferie fino al 16 dicembre, legger� il messaggio al mio rientro il 17 dicembre.
Per cose urgenti potete scrivere a info@biatwork.com, i miei colleghi prenderanno in carico la vostra email.

Cordiali saluti
Massimo Gregori

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, December 02, 2010 02:31:45 pm Andrew Culver wrote:
> Neil Gunton wrote:
> >> It is recommended, that if you do not intend for your SPF record to be
> >> used by Sender-ID-aware hosts, that you also publish the following
> >> Sender-ID record:
> >>
> >> TXT "spf2.0/pra"
> >>
> >> If, however, you wish to use Sender-ID, you should research it and
> >> publish an appropriate record.
> >
> > Is there much benefit to going to that trouble? Will hosts that use
> > Sender-ID be able to see from my existing SPF record that the email is
> > genuine? They are so similar, I don't see why we need a different
> > standard. In fact the worst case is when it is "similar but different",
> > in my experience. Oh, sorry, I forgot we're talking about Microsoft
> > here. Carry on.
>
> SPF acts on the SMTP MAIL FROM address (and sometimes the HELO address).
>
> Sender-ID goes beyond this and tries to figure out what the Purported
> Responsible Address (PRA) of the sender is and then check the Sender-ID
> record of that address's domain. Sounds good in theory, however this is
> easily fooled and so essentially useless.
>
> What's worse, is Sender-ID implementations will use the SPF record if no
> Sender-ID record exists. Although Sender-ID adoption is much less an
> SPF, it can still cause delivery problems to those hosts that use it if
> the sending domain lacks correct records, which is why the "spf2.0/pra"
> record is recommended to prevent this fall-back.

By who? Unless your domain uses a third party sender that uses their own Mail
From and your body From this isn't required.

Much more common is that PRA ends up being some unrelated domain due to added
headers and publishing your own SIDF record won't affect that.

Scott K

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, December 02, 2010 01:29:42 pm Marc Olivé wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let me please join your conversation in the "asking" part of it.
>
> Andrew, you introduce an interesting question to me:
>
> *"If, for example, you hired a marketing company to send communications to
> your customers. If they sent emails from their servers as you, one option
> would be to add their servers to your SPF record. (There are other, often
> better solutions for this.)"*
>

> Recently, I've recommended a client of us (we are a small web agency
> offering e-mail marketing solutions) to add our server's ip4 to their SPF
> record.
>
> Could you suggest a better solution for that case? They send mail to a
> legitimate list of their customers and interested people, no spamming. They
> send mail from the servers behind their domain, and we send mail on their
> behalf from a server we manage.
>
> We are completely open to any comment that may help mail filters and
> handlers correctly qualify our messages.

Asking customers to modify their SPF records is not a very scalable solution.
If you are acting as a transparent forwarder, the recommended solution for SPF
is to rewrite Mail From to your own preferred bounce address. To avoid
SenderID incompatibility, add a related Sender to the body with an associated
SenderID record. This avoids the need for your customers to change their DNS.

Scott K

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
Andrew Culver wrote:
> Parameters
> from
> => the sender's e-mail address
> fake_from
> => the address that will be shown in headers.
> If not specified we use the value of from.
> It looks like you can use from to specify the SMTP MAIL FROM and then
> fake_from to set a From: header. If no fake_from is specified, the from
> address is used in the From: header.

Yes, you seem to be correct - I just tried this out with my existing
Mail::Sender code and it seems to work exactly as you say. I set
'fake_from' to be the actual recipient address, and 'from' to be an
arbitrary address at my domain just for the sake of SPF checking
(notifications@crazyguyonabike.com), and then I sent an email from my
website contact form, going from a third party address to another third
party address (both mine, but from yahoo to gmail). When I checked the
headers on the recipient message, Return-Path had indeed been set to the
notifications address, which made the SPF check happy (since now it
checks it against my domain's SPF and not the third party's). Done this
way, I don't seem to need to add anything to sendmail's "trusted users"
either.

Thanks very much - that seems to accomplish exactly what I need! I did
not understand the point of 'fake_from' before, but now I do.

I think this will help a lot with getting my users' emails delivered
more reliably - I'm very appreciative, and thanks again for your patience.

Neil

Re: How to set up spf for my client/server situation [ In reply to ]
Vic wrote:
> http://search.cpan.org/~jenda/Mail-Sender-0.8.16/Sender.pm has the man
> page for Mail::Sender.
>
> It specifies using the parameter "replyto" to set the reply-to address.
> This will doubtless require the calling process to be owned by one of the
> MTA's trusted users.

I already specify reply-to, and it doesn't seem to require doing
anything special with regard to the trusted users - it just adds the
'Reply-to' header but doesn't affect 'Return-path'. Andrew's suggestion
on using fake_from seems to have done the trick for setting Return-Path.

Thanks again,

Neil