Mailing List Archive

Missing A records
Hi -

Our servers are checking mail from bounce.example.com.

It "redirect"s to example.com's SPF record, which includes an "mx" token.

I assume that since the redirect is a "macro", "mx" in this case refers
to the mx of bounce.example.com, not example.com, right?

bounce.example.com has two mx hostnames listed. One of them
(mail.example.com) has no A records.

RFC 4408, section B1, example, 3, says "no sending hosts pass since
example.org has no A records". So i take it that the behavior should be
that a verifier "permerror" these messages? What do most verifiers do,
if anyone knows (I know that's a separate question)?

The tool at kitterman.com shows:

"Results - ambiguous SPF Ambiguity Warning: No A records found for:
mail.example.com", but doesn't say what the python library's final SPF
result would be (we're not using that library, but just curious...).
Another online checker said "that sender is probably not allowed" or
something similar.

Thanks!
-c

Re: Missing A records [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 18:28 -0700, spfhelp@caseyconnor.org wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Our servers are checking mail from bounce.example.com.

Why don't you give real world details as it makes it much easier to
help?

Thanks

Re: Missing A records [ In reply to ]
On 10/12/2010 08:28 PM, Craig Whitmore wrote:
> Why don't you give real world details as it makes it much easier to
> help?
>
> Thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sorry for being vague, happy to supply the details; generally speaking
i'm just curious how verifiers are supposed to handle redirects (whether
a resulting "mx" means the mx of the domain redirected to or the
original domain), and how a verifier should respond in cases where A
records for an mx token are missing. Thus i didn't think the specifics
were all that relevant.

But: If you substitute "linkedin" for "example" in my original post,
that's the situation:

-----------------------

Our servers are checking mail from bounce.linkedin.com.

It "redirect"s to linkedin.com's SPF record, which includes an "mx" token.

I assume that since the redirect is a "macro", "mx" in this case refers
to the mx of bounce.linkedin.com, not linked.com, right?

bounce.linkedin.com has two mx hostnames listed. One of them
(mail.linkedin.com) has no A records.

RFC 4408, section B1, example, 3, says "no sending hosts pass since
example.org has no A records". So i take it that the behavior should be
that a verifier "permerror" these messages? What do most verifiers do,
if anyone knows (I know that's a separate question)?

The tool at kitterman.com shows:

"Results - ambiguous SPF Ambiguity Warning: No A records found for:
mail.linkedin.com", but doesn't say what the python library's final SPF
result would be (we're not using that library, but just curious...).
Another online checker said "that sender is probably not allowed" or
something similar.

Thanks!
-c