Mailing List Archive

how to install the spf?
I went through the spf setup wizard what/where do I put the TXT that I have? Do I create a new file and put it in my root directory of the server...if so what should the file be called?

Re: how to install the spf? [ In reply to ]
Jim,
Add it as a TXT record to your domain's DNS.

> aculver@aculver:~$ host -v -t txt uwo.ca | grep spf1
> uwo.ca. 11400 IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:129.100.1.8/29 -all"

How you do this will depend on your DNS server software.

Andrew

Re: how to install the spf? [ In reply to ]
On 11-Jun-10, at 10:11 AM, jimsflies wrote:

> I went through the spf setup wizard what/where do I put the TXT that
> I have? Do I create a new file and put it in my root directory of
> the server...if so what should the file be called?

To be honest, if you are asking a question like that you haven't done
your homework on how SPF works and I suggest you do that before you do
anything else that might affect the deliverability of your email.

I suggest you read (or re-read) the info at http://www.openspf.org

--
Gino Cerullo

Pixel Point Studios
21 Chesham Drive
Toronto, ON M3M 1W6

416-247-7740

Re: how to install the spf? [ In reply to ]
Deliverability of my email is what has brought me to this point...for some
bizaar reason hotmail, msn, and live are all bouncing my emails. A search
has brought me to SPF as one way to hopefully solve this.

I think I figured it out now...no thanks to your generic pointing back to an
entire website which seems vague in the area of implementation for someone
not versed in server/email issues. I suppose it's job security for you IT
types though. Keep up the good work, mate!

Re: how to install the spf? [ In reply to ]
> I think I figured it out now...no thanks to your generic pointing back to
> an entire website

Actually, you ought to thank him for that posting.

There are some basics that you really need to understand *properly* before
playing with this sort of thing; a simple syntactical mistake can lead to
massive disruption.

> which seems vague in the area of implementation for someone
> not versed in server/email issues.

And that is the point - you *need* to be properly versed in this before
you go off half-cocked. Breaking your DNS can lead to your mail being
undeliverable for days on end.

> I suppose it's job security for you IT types though.

It's nothing to do with job security, and everything to do with trying to
prevent someone who clearly hasn't read the basics from making a
significant and possibly costly mistake.

> Keep up the good work, mate!

You should remove the sarcasm from your response; you do indeed have
grounds to thank the previos poster.

Vic.

Re: how to install the spf? [ In reply to ]
Well said Vic.

I'm not sure how the OP can support the accusation of job security.

This is a volunteer group, offering free help to people who come with questions.

I suppose some people justify ignorance and embarrassment (and laziness?) by becoming indignant that someone suggested they RTFM rather than spoon feeding it to them.

We wish you the best of luck jimflies. And, you'll get more help by being humble than by being indignant and sarcastic.

Regards,
-john

Re: how to install the spf? [ In reply to ]
On 11-Jun-10, at 11:06 AM, jimsflies wrote:

> Deliverability of my email is what has brought me to this
> point...for some bizaar reason hotmail, msn, and live are all
> bouncing my emails. A search has brought me to SPF as one way to
> hopefully solve this.

As much as I want every email server on the planet to have an SPF
policy in place, assuming that SPF is the answer to your problems is
probably the wrong approach. The problem with your approach is that if
it doesn't solve your problem then you'll blame SPF.

Maybe the better question for you to have started out with is,

"I'm having problems with the deliverability of my email to..."

"Here is the problem I am having..." (provide evidence)

"Will SPF solve this problem?"

You might also want to visit this site http://mail.live.com/mail/postmaster.aspx
if you haven't already for hints as to why your email may have
problems reaching Microsoft's various email servers.

> I think I figured it out now...

Yes, that's the confidence we're looking for!

How about posting the domain name that you've configuring SPF for so
that we can confirm that you have, in fact, 'figured it out now...'

> no thanks to your generic pointing back to an entire website which
> seems vague in the area of implementation for someone not versed in
> server/email issues.

The reason I pointed you back to the web site is because I could tell
from your question you have little understanding of how this all
works. My worry was that, at best, you would screw up your own email
server, at worst, you would screw up email for a whole lot of other
people.

DNS mis-configuration can have far reaching consequences.

> I suppose it's job security for you IT types though. Keep up the
> good work, mate!

Actually, I'm not in IT at all. I'm just someone who, through reading
and comprehension of the subject, has come to understand enough about
how DNS and email and SPF work together to be able to volunteer my
time to help out on this list, FREE OF CHARGE" and to know that you
don't have enough of an understanding yet to implement it safely.

If I was an IT guy looking for job security I would have offered my
'IT services,' complete with rates, to you instead.

As much as you don't believe it, I was actually trying to help by
making sure you had enough of an understanding of what you were about
to do before you went off half-cocked.

Now, if you ask the correct questions, I'm not adverse to helping you
out despite your rudeness and "free of charge!"

--
Gino Cerullo

Pixel Point Studios
21 Chesham Drive
Toronto, ON M3M 1W6

416-247-7740

Re: how to install the spf? [ In reply to ]
On 6/11/2010 10:06 AM, jimsflies wrote:
> Deliverability of my email is what has brought me to this point...for
> some bizaar reason hotmail, msn, and live are all bouncing my emails.
> A search has brought me to SPF as one way to hopefully solve this.
>
> I think I figured it out now...no thanks to your generic pointing back
> to an entire website which seems vague in the area of implementation
> for someone not versed in server/email issues. I suppose it's job
> security for you IT types though. Keep up the good work, mate!

I agree. This list is not very helpful at all, just insolent.

Re: how to install the spf? [ In reply to ]
> I agree. This list is not very helpful at all, just insolent.

You should refer your comments to the front desk. You are entitled to a
full refund if not entirely satisfied.

Vic.

Re: how to install the spf? [ In reply to ]
At 03:05 PM 6/11/2010, you wrote:
>On 6/11/2010 10:06 AM, jimsflies wrote:
>>Deliverability of my email is what has brought me to this point...for some bizaar reason hotmail, msn, and live are all bouncing my emails.
>>A search has brought me to SPF as one way to hopefully solve this.
>>
>>I think I figured it out now...no thanks to your generic pointing back to an entire website which seems vague in the area of implementation for someone not versed in server/email issues. I suppose it's job security for you IT types though. Keep up the good work, mate!
>
>I agree. This list is not very helpful at all, just insolent.

Now THAT is a funny reply!

a) No useful suggestion on what the list members can do to make it more 'helpful for you'.. so your post wasnt helpful.
b) Calling the list (members) insolent, is.. rather.. insolent.

Completely self described. Totally unhelpful.. and insolent.. all in one line!
Thanks for the laugh!

And, thankfully for you, that's why there is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email.

I've been watching this list for years and I've not seen this insolence to which you refer. I've seen rude questions, from rude individuals, who believe the volunteers here owe them some soft of brain mind meld information dump. And while some of those posts were met with a cold shoulder, I don't see that as insolence.

I have yet to see a sincere question met with anything but a sincere helpful answer.

Thanks to all the volunteers here who help out.

-john
Re: how to install the spf? [ In reply to ]
Free and still insolent and not helpful.

Re: how to install the spf? [ In reply to ]
"Vic" <spf1@beer.org.uk> wrote:

>> I agree. This list is not very helpful at all, just insolent.
>
>You should refer your comments to the front desk. You are entitled to a
>full refund if not entirely satisfied.

That's true, but I find that several of the messages in this thread were a bit harsh. I'd. Like it if people could be more welcoming.

Scott K