Mailing List Archive

Is SPF right? Where does it go?
I am new to DNS and SPF but I think I almost understand it. Could you
tell me whether I have this right? I'll use cryptic aliases to make it
easier (I hope).

1. I have 3 domain (A.com, B.com, C.com) hosted at HOST.com. So all
have the same IP, HH. HOST.com has its DNS server.

2. B & C are subdomains of A, (i.e., B.com => A.com/bb and C.com =>
A.com/cc)

3. HOST.com got blacklisted by yahoo.com. That's been fixed. They had
no PTR or SPF records in DNS, only A, CNAME and MX I had to learn this
stuff and tell them what they had to learn and do to keep it clean.

4. HOST.com also has a mail quota too low for my mailing list.

5. So I

1) got domain MAIL.net FROM GoDaddy,
2) switched to ISP.com to get static IP MM.
3) set MAIL.net to point to MM
3) got an SMTP server to run on my WinXP system (ughh).

6. I want to send mail *for* A.com, B.com, C.com *from* H.com and
M.net. Are these SPF records right?

A.com IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:MM ip4:HH -all"
B.com IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:MM ip4:HH -all"
C.com IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:MM ip4:HH -all"

7. This goes in both GoDaddy's DNS (for MAIL.net) and HOST.com's DNS
(for A.com, B.com, C.com), right?

8. I must put a PTR record in ISP.com's DNS (for MAIL.net) and
HOST.com's DNS (for A.com, B.com, C.com), right?

Thank you.

Re: Is SPF right? Where does it go? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 17:23 -0400, Thomas Widlar wrote:
> I am new to DNS and SPF but I think I almost understand it. Could you
> tell me whether I have this right? I'll use cryptic aliases to make it
> easier (I hope).
>
> 1. I have 3 domain (A.com, B.com, C.com) hosted at HOST.com. So all
> have the same IP, HH. HOST.com has its DNS server.

As the information will be public.. why not give real information as it
will be ALOT easiler for someone to help you.

Thanks

Re: Is SPF right? Where does it go? [ In reply to ]
On 12-May-10, at 5:23 PM, Thomas Widlar wrote:

> I am new to DNS and SPF but I think I almost understand it. Could
> you tell me whether I have this right? I'll use cryptic aliases to
> make it easier (I hope).

Actually, this makes it a lot harder to help you.

The information is public so you may as well use real domain names an
IP addresses.

--
Gino Cerullo

Pixel Point Studios
21 Chesham Drive
Toronto, ON M3M 1W6

416-247-7740

Re: Is SPF right? Where does it go? [ In reply to ]
At 22:23 12/05/2010 Wednesday, Thomas Widlar wrote:
>I am new to DNS and SPF but I think I almost understand it. Could you tell me whether I have this right? I'll use cryptic aliases to make it easier (I hope).

no it dosn't

>1. I have 3 domain (A.com, B.com, C.com) hosted at HOST.com. So all have the same IP, HH. HOST.com has its DNS server.
>
>2. B & C are subdomains of A, (i.e., B.com => A.com/bb and C.com => A.com/cc)

thats not what a subdomain is
a subdomain of say
gothic.ie is www.gothic.ie or dominion.gothic.ie

if site b.com redirects to a page on a.com/page then {a its irrelevent to what SPF is about which is EMAIL} {b see a}

>3. HOST.com got blacklisted by yahoo.com. That's been fixed. They had no PTR

yes thats dumb no ptr means no right to send mail anywhere or be connected to the internet

> or SPF records in DNS,

this will not cause any blacklisting {yahoo don't even use/check SPF}

> only A, CNAME and MX I had to learn this stuff and tell them what they had to learn and do to keep it clean.

you cannot legally use a CNAME within a zone with MX or A records a cname is exclusive and means "do not read my records see these records instesd"

>4. HOST.com also has a mail quota too low for my mailing list.
>
>5. So I
>
> 1) got domain MAIL.net FROM GoDaddy,
> 2) switched to ISP.com to get static IP MM.
> 3) set MAIL.net to point to MM
> 3) got an SMTP server to run on my WinXP system (ughh).
>
>6. I want to send mail *for* A.com, B.com, C.com *from* H.com and M.net. Are these SPF records right?
>
> A.com IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:MM ip4:HH -all"
> B.com IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:MM ip4:HH -all"
> C.com IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:MM ip4:HH -all"
>
>7. This goes in both GoDaddy's DNS (for MAIL.net) and HOST.com's DNS (for A.com, B.com, C.com), right?
>
>8. I must put a PTR record in ISP.com's DNS (for MAIL.net) and HOST.com's DNS (for A.com, B.com, C.com), right?
>
>Thank you.

the ips PTR can be in any of the 4 zones you have ownership of {whether registered with "HOST.com" or GoDaddy}
as long as you set the same name up with equivalent ip {and don't use the top-level domain, a PTR is always hostname.domain.com anything else is considered bad admin thus low reputation of trust}

this all seems pretty spammy to me
A why no real details
B why needing to send large volumes from 3 different domains

so i'm outta here till some other evidence is shown {like the real ip's and the real domains} as only a spammer would want to hide who they are

Re: Is SPF right? Where does it go? [ In reply to ]
Two people have already said it would be easier if I use real URLs and
IPs. So I've edited my request. (Cryptic version below)

====

I am new to DNS and SPF but I think I almost understand it. Could you
tell me whether I have this right?

1. I have 3 domains (econcurrent.com, angelusdevice.com, tvigate.com)
hosted at jumplaunch.com. So all have the same IP, 76.74.223.179.
jumplaunch.com has its DNS server.

2. angelusdevice.com & tvigate.com are subdomains of econcurrent.com,
(i.e., angelusdevice.com => econcurrent.com/angelus & tvigate.com =>
econcurrent.com/tvi)

3. jumplaunch.com got blacklisted by yahoo.com. That's been fixed. They
had no PTR or SPF records in DNS, only A, CNAME and MX I had to learn
this stuff and tell them what they had to learn and do to keep it clean.

4. jumplaunch.com also has a mail quota too low for my mailing list.

5. So I

1) got domain dependablemail.net FROM GoDaddy,
2) switched to charter.com to get static IP 71.8.241.2.
3) set dependablemail.net to point to 71.8.241.2
3) got an SMTP server to run on my WinXP system (ughh).

6. I want to send mail *for* econcurrent.com, angelusdevice.com,
tvigate.com *from* HOST jumplaunch.com and dependablemail.net. Are
these SPF records right?

econcurrent.com IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:71.8.241.2 ip4:76.74.223.179 -all"
angelusdevice.com IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:71.8.241.2 ip4:76.74.223.179 -all"
tvigate.com IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:71.8.241.2 ip4:76.74.223.179 -all"

7. This goes in both GoDaddy's DNS (for dependablemail.net) and HOST
jumplaunch.com's DNS (for econcurrent.com, angelusdevice.com,
tvigate.com), right?

8. I must put a PTR record in ISP charter.com's DNS (for

Re: Is SPF right? Where does it go? [ In reply to ]
On 5/12/2010 6:27 PM, Alan Doherty wrote:

>> 2. B& C are subdomains of A, (i.e., B.com => A.com/bb and C.com => A.com/cc)
>>
> thats not what a subdomain is
> a subdomain of say
> gothic.ie is www.gothic.ie or dominion.gothic.ie
>
> if site b.com redirects to a page on a.com/page then {a its irrelevent to what SPF is about which is EMAIL} {b see a}

I don't understand that. I guess I used the wrong terminology, I've
never seen it clearly defined. Jump:aunch calls it an AddOn

> this all seems pretty spammy to me
> A why no real details
> B why needing to send large volumes from 3 different domains

It's three very different businesses. Loan modifications, an advanced EM
biofeedback device and a travel club matrix.

Re: Is SPF right? Where does it go? [ In reply to ]
At 00:09 13/05/2010 Thursday, Thomas Widlar wrote:
>On 5/12/2010 6:27 PM, Alan Doherty wrote:
>>
>>>2. B& C are subdomains of A, (i.e., B.com => A.com/bb and C.com => A.com/cc)
>>>
>>thats not what a subdomain is
>>a subdomain of say
>>gothic.ie is www.gothic.ie or dominion.gothic.ie
>>
>>if site b.com redirects to a page on a.com/page then {a its irrelevent to what SPF is about which is EMAIL} {b see a}
>>
>I don't understand that. I guess I used the wrong terminology, I've never seen it clearly defined. Jump:aunch calls it an AddOn
>
>>this all seems pretty spammy to me
>>A why no real details
>>B why needing to send large volumes from 3 different domains
>>
>It's three very different businesses. Loan modifications, an advanced EM biofeedback device and a travel club matrix.

sounds even worse now who would join a confirmed opt in mailinglist on those {in enough numbers for their to be a large volume}

{any other type of mailinglist IS spam}
{spam != illegal, spam is any recipient who has not explicitly consented to mail from that particular list}

Re: Is SPF right? Where does it go? [ In reply to ]
> sounds even worse now who would join a confirmed opt in mailinglist on those {in enough numbers for their to be a large volume}
>
> {any other type of mailinglist IS spam}
> {spam != illegal, spam is any recipient who has not explicitly consented to mail from that particular list}

Everyone had opted-in. There is the required easy-to-see one-click
opt-out (unsubscribe) link.

Re: Is SPF right? Where does it go? [ In reply to ]
alan wrote:
>> It's three very different businesses. Loan modifications, an advanced EM biofeedback device and a travel club matrix.
>
> sounds even worse now who would join a confirmed opt in mailinglist on those {in enough numbers for their to be a large volume}
>
> {any other type of mailinglist IS spam}
> {spam != illegal, spam is any recipient who has not explicitly consented to mail from that particular list}

Now, now.. Spammers are entitled to use SPF just like anybody else. It's
better if they do, because it makes them easier to block them. >:D

Thomas, with all the back and forth, did you get all your questions
answered?

Andrew

Re: Is SPF right? Where does it go? [ In reply to ]
> Now, now.. Spammers are entitled to use SPF just like anybody else. It's
> better if they do, because it makes them easier to block them. >:D

I've actually seen an increase in spam from non-forged addresses lately.

I think SPF might be starting to bite the bad guys :-)

Vic.

Re: Is SPF right? Where does it go? [ In reply to ]
On 13-May-10, at 10:17 AM, Vic wrote:

>> Now, now.. Spammers are entitled to use SPF just like anybody else.
>> It's
>> better if they do, because it makes them easier to block them. >:D
>
> I've actually seen an increase in spam from non-forged addresses
> lately.
>
> I think SPF might be starting to bite the bad guys :-)

I'm noticing the same thing. This is good!

Now does anyone know of a public Real-time Block List (RBL) based on
SPF data (a bad guys list) that one could subscribe to. This sounds
like something Spamhaus should add to their list of excellent services.

--
Gino Cerullo

Pixel Point Studios
21 Chesham Drive