v=spf1 ip4:70.89.155.193 -all

I also have a PTR record hosted with my ISP, Comcast Business. The thing I don't understand is that one of my clients domain email is getting rejected by the recipients mail server.

I believe I have all of this covered but perhaps I am missing something?

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
> I believe I have all of this covered but perhaps I am missing something?

You're going to have to give us some more detail before anyone can
determine what's going on - at the very least, tell us what IP address you
were sending from.

The rejection message would be good - that probably tells you explicitly
what went wrong.

Vic.

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 15:45, Timothy DeHan <timothy@tdehan.com> wrote:
> I host email for a number of domains from the same IP address.  The main server domain is tdehan.com.   Below is the SPF record I use for all the domains
> v=spf1 ip4:70.89.155.193 -all
>
> I also have a PTR record hosted with my ISP, Comcast Business.  The thing I don't understand is that one of my clients domain email is getting rejected by the recipients mail server.
>
> I believe I have all of this covered but perhaps I am missing something?

How is that client sending email? Exactly what is the rejection
message? Without those key pieces of information we can only guess ;)

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
Sure... the IP address is 70.89.155.193 (which is stated in the SPF text
from my original email)

v=spf1 ip4:70.89.155.193 -all

My client is sending using the webmail feature I provide. I have asked my
client for the rejection message. This is what he sent me. (I have removed
the recipients alias)

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

alias@kapalign.com<mailto:alias@kapalign.com>
Your message wasn't delivered because of security policies. Microsoft Excha=
nge will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please provide the foll=
owing diagnostic text to your system administrator.

The following organization rejected your message: p3pismtp01-004.prod.phx3.=
secureserver.net.

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
I send a test message to someone not on that server and look at the
header to see what IP address is in the header, then compare that to the
IP in your SPF record.

Aaron

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
Hi Aaron, I am not following what you are suggesting.

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
On Friday 26 February 2010 11:11:20 am Timothy DeHan wrote:
> Sure... the IP address is 70.89.155.193 (which is stated in the SPF text
> from my original email)
>
> v=spf1 ip4:70.89.155.193 -all
>
> My client is sending using the webmail feature I provide. I have asked my
> client for the rejection message. This is what he sent me. (I have removed
> the recipients alias)
>

> Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:
>
> alias@kapalign.com<mailto:alias@kapalign.com>
> Your message wasn't delivered because of security policies. Microsoft
> Excha= nge will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please provide
> the foll= owing diagnostic text to your system administrator.
>
> The following organization rejected your message:
> p3pismtp01-004.prod.phx3.= secureserver.net.

Why do you think this rejection is related to SPF?

Scott K

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
I don't know why the rejection. I am hoping someone has a suggestion.

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
Stuff I've seen help, ymmv.

1- Confirm exchange is actually egressing the IP you want, and not 192.168 or
localhost. For some reason Exchange admins can add multiple interfaces without
understanding what or why they did. Results in mail egressing the wrong IP,
which does your SPF no favors either. Any email egressing out a localhost or
RFC1918 non routable will be blocked by default by most recips. these days.

2- Confirm if you are running a server that PTR, A match, and that MX points to
the FQDN. The reason here is many sites including secureserver.net (GoDaddy)
run spam blocking that checks DNS. If your hoster cannot provide A and PTR that
match, you might be buying the wrong kind of service, and/or need to point all
your mail at a dedicated SMTP server for egress, not relay directly out.

3- Confirm whether you are on any block lists: cbl.abuseat.org and spamcop.net
are the main two to use to start. SORBS maybe. Perhaps you have a virus and
aren't aware of it and are sending gobs of mail and got listed.

4- Produce a full mail header, not snippets. Customers should just cut and
paste the entire header into any item you want diagnosed. Any time you cut and
paste, you block any technical assist you might be seeking. Is your judgement
better that you only need to include the part you think is important, rather
than the whole header? If yes, you wouldn't be asking for help.

Kind regards,

-Dave Dennis

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Timothy DeHan wrote:

> I don't know why the rejection. I am hoping someone has a suggestion.

+-------------------------
+ Dave Dennis
+ Seattle, WA
+ Speakeasy, Inc.
+ dmd@speakeasy.net
+ http://www.speakeasy.net

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
> I don't know why the rejection.

It's probably nothing to do with SPF.

This is one of the major downsides to outsourcing email - you need to talk
to the outsourcing provider to fix the problem. The whois record has phone
& fax numbers in the US, but no email addres (that I can see, anyway).

Enjoy... :-)

Vic.

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
Hi Vic

I am not clear what you mean by "outsourcing email". I host the email
server.

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
Here is the header information. Again, I have replaced the sender and recipients alias with 'alias' but have left the domain name.

Reporting-MTA: dns;internal.ahp
Received-From-MTA: dns;ahpnet.com
Arrival-Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 02:59:12 +0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822;alias@kapalign.com
Action: failed

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

alias@kapalign.com
Your message wasn't delivered because of security policies. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

The following organization rejected your message: m1pismtp01-027.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net.

Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: internal.ahp

alias@kapalign.com
m1pismtp01-027.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net #550 5.7.1 SPF unauthorized mail is prohibited. ##

Original message headers:

From: "alias@criterionhealth.net" <alias@criterionhealth.net>
To: "alias@kapalign.com" <alias@kapalign.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:59:11 -0500
Subject: RE: Urgent - Copyright agreement
x-mail-from: <alias@criterionhealth.net>
x-spam: [F=0.2000003433; B=0.500(0); spf=0.500; CM=0.500;
MH=0.500(2010021748); R=0.500(110117184523); S=0.200(2010021201); SC=none]
x-analysisout: [uwA:10]
x-source-ip: [70.89.155.193]
x-me-bayesian: 0.000000
x-read: 0
acceptlanguage: en-US

SPF is all about who the mail says it is FROM. What is the envelope from address (at least the domain portion) that your client is sending from? The other problem you might run into is if the message is being forwarded. If a message gets forwarded, the envelope from address must be updated to the forwarder's domain (see http://www.openspf.org/SRS )

Dan

Please respond to spf-help@v2.listbox.com

To: <spf-help@v2.listbox.com>
cc: "timothy DeHan" <timothy@tdehan.com> (bcc: Dan Mitton/YD/RWDOE)

LSN: Not Relevant
User Filed as: Not a Record

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
Any reason why I've been copied in on every message within this thread?

Jerry Cannell
Softfusion Ltd

Re: email is being REJECTED [ In reply to ]
No, this is not from my client handing the message to me to start with, this is from the rececipiants server.