Mailing List Archive

need SPF record help re ATT
Hello,

I'm stumped regarding how to include ATT into my SPF record.

1) I use ATT DSL for my internet connection.

2) I use my own domain's mail server for outgoing mail.

3) I use Spamarrest for inbound mail so I can use that to test
for SPF failures by sending mail to myself.

4) Because I send mail from my local machine it must go through
ATT's network before being sent from my domain at my hosting
company.

5) ATT randomly assigns an IP# to my local router. That is causing
SPF failures. That makes it impossible to include that IP# into my
record. I cannot do an IP4 mechanism to include all of ATT's many
IP#s because 10 lookups is the max before failure. I cannot use an
'include mechanism because ATT apparently doesn't have an SPF
record.

ATT told me how to establish a dedicated IP in Win XP and thereby
prevent my machine from allowing ATT to assign a random IP. That
does not work.

ATT has told me to get a dedicated IP# but that's costly and it'd
only be needed for this purpose. They cannot guarantee that ti
would even work. If my mail must hit ATT's network before reaching
my server, I doubt it would.

First-level support at ATT has no idea what SPF is. Advanced
support does seem to know but has no idea how to fix this problem
to stop the failures.

Surely I must be missing something here.

Thanks for your help.

Wade

6)

Wade Smith
Artistdomain.net

Re: need SPF record help re ATT [ In reply to ]

>Surely I must be missing something here.

yes the only IP needing an spf is the server sending your mail out

THE ONE TALKING SMTP TO RECIEVERS

so the client {and its ip} you use to submit mail to that server is irrelevant

your mail this time came from smtp01.spamarrest.com but likely could come from several ip's within spamarrest.com they should be able to tell you how to setup spf for their ip's

so it is their ip's that you used to send email and need to include within your domains SPF record

RE: need SPF record help re ATT [ In reply to ]
Have your tried sending your email to your own domains email server
secondary port? ATT, I think, blocks/filters port 25 outbound.

HTH,

Rick

Re: need SPF record help re ATT [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 19:06, Wade <wsmith@artistdomain.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm stumped regarding how to include ATT into my SPF record.

As others have said, you don't.

> 1) I use ATT DSL for my internet connection.

This doesn't matter

> 2) I use my own domain's mail server for outgoing mail.

This matters

> 3) I use Spamarrest for inbound mail so I can use that to test
> for SPF failures by sending mail to myself.
>
> 4) Because I send mail from my local machine it must go through
> ATT's network before being sent from my domain at my hosting
> company.
>
> 5) ATT randomly assigns an IP# to my local router. That is causing
> SPF failures. That makes it impossible to include that IP# into my
> record. I cannot do an IP4 mechanism to include all of ATT's many
> IP#s because 10 lookups is the max before failure. I cannot use an
> 'include mechanism because ATT apparently doesn't have an SPF
> record.

The standard way of solving this problem is to configure your own mail
server not to check SPF for authenticated connections (you are
requiring authentication to relay I hope, to avoid your mail server
becoming an open relay).

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: need SPF record help re ATT [ In reply to ]
try +all
single
its always ok

Re: need SPF record help re ATT [ In reply to ]
At 20:01 19/10/2009 Monday, fakessh@fakessh.eu wrote:
>try +all
>single
>its always ok

and guaranteed to be regarded as worse than no spf and straight to spamfolder

{this means in receivers eyes "I allow anyone to forge this email from anywhere, i'm likely a spammer!!"}

never use +all use no spf at all to get the same default pass

SPF is an anti forgery system why use it if you arn't trying to distinguish your-valid from others-forged mail

Re: need SPF record help re ATT [ In reply to ]
Hi Alan, et al on this list,

The reason that mail seems to have come from a Spamarrest server
is because that's wherein I have subscribe to this list and thus I
posted my query from within Spamarrest. I'm also answering this
from within Spamarrest so please disregard the transcript of this
mail.

I just did a test to myself; from my Outlook Express, not from
within Spamarrest. I use my domain's mail server for outbound and
Spamarrest for inbound to scrub virii and for whitelist
filtering.

Below is a cut-paste of the transcript of the test I just sent to
myself. As you can see, ATT (formerly Bellsouth) is failing SPF.
This tells me I need to "specify" them as a legit sender. The SPF
is being caused by an ATT/Bellsouth IP#.

As I mentioned before, I am currently using the #s that ATT tech
support gave me to put into my local machine's TCP network setting
to keep ATT from assigning a random IP# to my local router at
bootup. ATT no longer assigns a random IP but I still get failed
du to some other ATT IP#, in this case it is 65.11.145.117, as
indicated below.

ATT has told me about 3 times now that even though my mail is
being sent from my domain's mail server I still need to include
ATT in my SPF record.