When people refer to SenderID, are they referring to SPF please ? I
thought they were two separate items ?

Chris

Re: Is SenderID SPF ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 13:55, Chris<Chris@040501.com> wrote:
> When people refer to SenderID, are they referring to SPF please ?

No - and this is covered in the FAQ at the OpenSPF site ;)

> thought they were two separate items ?

They are.

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: Is SenderID SPF ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 14:22:45 +0100, Rob MacGregor <rob.macgregor@gmail.com>
wrote:
> They are.

dig aol.com txt

http://old.openspf.org/wizard.html?mydomain=aol.com&submit=Go!

good example on how not to do spf :)

i wonder if postmaster@aol.com is awhere of there problem ?

--
Benny Pedersen

> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 14:22:45 +0100, Rob MacGregor
> <rob.macgregor@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > They are.
>
> dig aol.com txt
>
> http://old.openspf.org/wizard.html?mydomain=aol.com&submit=Go!
>
> good example on how not to do spf :)
>
> i wonder if postmaster@aol.com is awhere of there problem ?
>
> --
> Benny Pedersen

Many thanks Benny.

Bit new to this, but I assume that aol have done something wrong there !

Chris.

Re: Is SenderID SPF ? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:33, Chris<Chris@040501.com> wrote:

> Bit new to this, but I assume that aol have done something wrong there !

The AOL.com record is:

v=spf1 ptr:mx.aol.com ?all

that says:

ptr:mx.aol.com - the host that resolves from (and back to) mx.aol.com
?all - this SPF record is meaningless - accept all email

Worth reading http://www.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax

RE: Is SenderID SPF ? [ In reply to ]
Rob MacGregor wrote on Mon, Aug 10 2009 at 5:21 am:

> ptr:mx.aol.com - the host that resolves from (and back to) mx.aol.com

Not quite...all IPs are looked up for their reverse DNS, and any hostnames that end in *.mx.aol.com pass. However readers should note:

"If at all possible, you should avoid using this mechanism in your SPF record, because it will result in a larger number of expensive DNS lookups."

...and since AOL is using ?all, they are basically just causing a lot of DNS lookups for no apparent reason.

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- Automobile, n.: A four-wheeled vehicle that runs up hills and down pedestrians.

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~

Re: Is SenderID SPF ? [ In reply to ]
Steve Yates wrote:
> Rob MacGregor wrote on Mon, Aug 10 2009 at 5:21 am:
>
>> ptr:mx.aol.com - the host that resolves from (and back to) mx.aol.com
>
> Not quite...all IPs are looked up for their reverse DNS, and any hostnames that end in *.mx.aol.com pass. However readers should note:
>
> "If at all possible, you should avoid using this mechanism in your SPF record, because it will result in a larger number of expensive DNS lookups."
>
> ...and since AOL is using ?all, they are basically just causing a lot of DNS lookups for no apparent reason.

That may boil down to two lookups, e.g. if IP=205.188.159.57 find
da.mx.aol.com by rDNS and then check that the latter has the same IP.
Considering that these lookups are most commonly performed anyway, it
may actually cost less than include or redirect.

The "pass" they may obtain that way only serves spam scores.