Mailing List Archive

Soft fail vs. hard fail?
I recently received a bounced message that was
generated because my domain is being abused by
some spammers. The server actually looked up
the spf record and reported it (shown below).

Received-SPF: softfail (smtp.wp.pl: transitioning SPF record at
gypsywind.com
does not designate 24.147.212.189 as permitted sender)

My question is this. What is tthe difference between a
soft fail/hard fail? Is it ~all vs. -all? I would like
any messages spoofing my address to fail if someone is
checking spf. Anything I can do to discourage the use
of my domain... :-)

Here is my spf entry for the record:

IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:66.58.75.122 a mx ptr ~all"
--
Steve

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
RE: Soft fail vs. hard fail? [ In reply to ]

If you change the ~all to -all that will cause all non-matching messages to
fail (hardfail). Softfail is really more like it is probably a forgery, but
I'm still testing but don't reject outright since I'm still testing.

Scott Kitterman

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com