Mailing List Archive

python3 dependency of python-spf
Hi,

I am not sure is this is the right place for the question..

I stumbled upon the python3 dependencies of the package python3-spf

(on a debian wheezy-implementation)

# aptitude show python3-spf
Package: python3-spf
New: yes
State: unpacked
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2.0.11-1~bpo70+1~test0
Section: python
Maintainer: Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 161 k
Depends: python3 (>= 3.3), python3-dns (>= 3.0.2-1+deb7u1)

and:

##########

aptitude show postfix-policyd-spf-python
Package: postfix-policyd-spf-python
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1.3.1-1~bpo70+1
postfix-policyd-spf-python is a full featured Postfix policy engine for SPF checking. It includes a variety of whitelisting mechanisms and policy options to enable it to
support the widest variety of system requirements. It is implemented in pure Python and uses the python-spf module. The SPF web site is http://www.openspf.net/. It has
been updated to support RFC 7208.
Homepage: https://launchpad.net/pypolicyd-spf

#############

Which is strange, because python3-spf is working on the machine
(wheezy)
# cat /etc/debian_version
7.9

# python3 -V
Python 3.2.3

So when trying to upgrade the system i run into problems because python3 is not upgraded to
something >= 3.3, so python3-spf is failing because of the depency - but this is needed
for postfix-policyd-spf-python

aptitude upgrade --full-resolver
,,,some stuff..
python-spf spf-tools-python

python3-spf : Depends: python3 (>= 3.3) but 3.2.3-6 is installed.

Remove the following packages:
1) postfix-policyd-spf-python
2) python3-spf

And since python3.3 can not even found in backports things get weird..

# aptitude -t wheezy-backports show python3
Package: python3
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 3.2.3-6

Is it possible to lower the dependencies on python3-spf for the python-Version
(like python3-spf : Depends: python3 (>= 3.2))
or does this break something?

Thanks,

best greetings,
Gunther

NetCologne Systemadministration
--
NetCologne Gesellschaft für Telekommunikation mbH
Am Coloneum 9 ; 50829 Köln

Re: python3 dependency of python-spf [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 09:48:03 AM Gunther Nitzsche wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure is this is the right place for the question..
>
> I stumbled upon the python3 dependencies of the package python3-spf
>
> (on a debian wheezy-implementation)
>
> # aptitude show python3-spf
> Package: python3-spf
> New: yes
> State: unpacked
> Automatically installed: no
> Version: 2.0.11-1~bpo70+1~test0
> Section: python
> Maintainer: Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com>
> Architecture: all
> Uncompressed Size: 161 k
> Depends: python3 (>= 3.3), python3-dns (>= 3.0.2-1+deb7u1)
>

> and:
>
> ##########
>
> aptitude show postfix-policyd-spf-python
> Package: postfix-policyd-spf-python
> State: installed
> Automatically installed: no
> Version: 1.3.1-1~bpo70+1
> postfix-policyd-spf-python is a full featured Postfix policy engine for SPF
> checking. It includes a variety of whitelisting mechanisms and policy
> options to enable it to support the widest variety of system requirements.
> It is implemented in pure Python and uses the python-spf module. The SPF
> web site is http://www.openspf.net/. It has been updated to support RFC
> 7208.
> Homepage: https://launchpad.net/pypolicyd-spf
>
> #############
>
> Which is strange, because python3-spf is working on the machine
> (wheezy)
> # cat /etc/debian_version
> 7.9
>
> # python3 -V
> Python 3.2.3
>

> So when trying to upgrade the system i run into problems because python3 is
> not upgraded to something >= 3.3, so python3-spf is failing because of the
> depency - but this is needed for postfix-policyd-spf-python
>

> aptitude upgrade --full-resolver
> ,,,some stuff..
> python-spf spf-tools-python

> python3-spf : Depends: python3 (>= 3.3) but 3.2.3-6 is installed.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Remove the following packages:
> 1) postfix-policyd-spf-python
> 2) python3-spf
>

> And since python3.3 can not even found in backports things get weird..
>
> # aptitude -t wheezy-backports show python3
> Package: python3
> State: installed
> Automatically installed: yes
> Version: 3.2.3-6
>

> Is it possible to lower the dependencies on python3-spf for the
> python-Version (like python3-spf : Depends: python3 (>= 3.2))
> or does this break something?

As a rule, distribution specific packaging issues like this should be handled
on distribution specific channels, not here. I got the email you sent me
earlier in the week, but have been swamped and didn't get a chance to reply
yet. For wheezy-backports it needs to have an alternate dependency on
python3-ipaddr since python3.2 doesn't have the ipaddress module like
python3.3 and later do.

I hope to have time to fix it this week.

Scott K