Mailing List Archive

Python 6 and md5 module is depracted use hashlib?
Hello,

I was looking at the python SPF stuff. I noticed I get a warning similar
to this one below but for the python SPF module.

/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/twisted/spread/pb.py:64:
DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
import md5

I could not find a newer version on the net. Has anything been done for
python 6?

Boyd Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com> 801 849-0213

Re: Python 6 and md5 module is depracted use hashlib? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:00:34 -0600 Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com>
wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I was looking at the python SPF stuff. I noticed I get a warning similar
>to this one below but for the python SPF module.
>
>/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/twisted/spread/pb.py:64:
>DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
>import md5
>
>I could not find a newer version on the net. Has anything been done for
>python 6?

With Python 2.6 it's harmless in pyspf, but easy enough to fix. I'll get
it fixed. Porting to hashlib is not hard.

Scott K

Re: Python 6 and md5 module is depracted use hashlib? [ In reply to ]
wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I was looking at the python SPF stuff. I noticed I get a warning similar
>to this one below but for the python SPF module.
>
>/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/twisted/spread/pb.py:64:
>DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
>import md5
>
>I could not find a newer version on the net. Has anything been done for
>python 6?

Neither pyspf nor the one module it requires, pydns, use the md5 module. I
also checked the python SPF policy server and it does not either.

I'm not sure what's the source of the warning, but it's not anything
specific to the SPF packages.

Scott K

Re: Python 6 and md5 module is depracted use hashlib? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:00:34 -0600 Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com>
> wrote:
> >I was looking at the python SPF stuff. I noticed I get a warning similar
> >to this one below but for the python SPF module.
> >
> >/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/twisted/spread/pb.py:64:
> >DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
> >import md5
>
> Neither pyspf nor the one module it requires, pydns, use the md5 module. I
> also checked the python SPF policy server and it does not either.

Pysrs could be updated to use hashlib - but it currently uses sha, not md5.

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

Re: Python 6 and md5 module is depracted use hashlib? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 23:18:54 -0400 (EDT) "Stuart D. Gathman"
<stuart@bmsi.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:00:34 -0600 Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com>
>> wrote:
>> >I was looking at the python SPF stuff. I noticed I get a warning
similar
>> >to this one below but for the python SPF module.
>> >
>> >/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/twisted/spread/pb.py:64:
>> >DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
>> >import md5
>>
>> Neither pyspf nor the one module it requires, pydns, use the md5 module.
>> also checked the python SPF policy server and it does not either.
>
>Pysrs could be updated to use hashlib - but it currently uses sha, not md5.

Yes. I have that on my list to do to go with your licensing
clarifications. It generates a similar warning.

Scott K