Is there any workaround for this to proceed further?

Thanks,
Karan

Re: SPF vulnerability [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:12:46 +0530 (IST) karan pott <open_mind_core@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Hi,

> We were using libspf2 (1.0.2) in our product for anti-spam
> functionality on windows platform. Now, we want to upgrade to the
> latest version (1.2.9) to get the fixes for the vulnerabilities
> uncovered recently. For this, we are trying to compile the latest
> version for windows , but we see a lot of errors - some data types
> used in spf_dns_windns.c seem to be missing.

>Is there any workaround for this to proceed further?

I know that 1.2 is not fully backward compatible with 1.0 and one should expect to have to do some porting work. I 'm not sure if that's related.

Additionally, none of the developers are Windows users, so it wouldn't suprise me to find that was less well tested and had some things that needed fixing.

Scott K

Re: SPF vulnerability [ In reply to ]
Thanks Scott,

Okay. I got it. Porting needs to be done for Windows. In case I like to offer my effort for this, can you please let me know what process do I have to follow for my code to be included into libspf2?

Thanks and Regards,
Karunakar

________________________________

Re: SPF vulnerability [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, karan pott wrote:

> Okay. I got it. Porting needs to be done for Windows. In case I like
> to offer my effort for this, can you please let me know what process
> do I have to follow for my code to be included into libspf2?

Sorry I'm late into this thread.

Of course you might need to look at how your development environment
suports open source :) but I think most of the changes will be because
of the SPF library API change and will not be in libspf2 itself.

If it will help, I can show you the changes that I had to make to
spf-milter to get it to run with the latest libspf2. They are fairly
extensive, but not difficult. I still need to do some testing, but
the milter has now been working OK for several months on two fairly
lightly loaded mail servers.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: SPF vulnerability [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I must admit, I feel encouraged with the response I am receiving on this. Very special thanks to all :)

Hi G.W. Haywood,
Thanks for your inputs and offer to help. I am really afraid that I did not see spf-milter while browsing through the code.

Now updates from my side on the topic...
A confession... from the initial look, I feel mesmerized when I look at the changes relative to 1.0.2. version. I have started working on making it porting for Windows.

I am afraid I did not understand all the changes and what are all the changes need to be done to make libspf2 work on Windows. However, I am trying to use a bit of common sense to make it work on Windows.

What I desperately need is someone who can review my source code and give me feedback and also a person with whom I can interact with as a guide for me.

________________________________

Re: SPF vulnerability [ In reply to ]
Hi Shevek,

I have spent a bit of effort to make libspf2 1.2.9 to be compilable on Windows with Visual Studio 2005. However, while testing I figured out that (libspf2-1.2.9\src\libspf2\spf_server.c : 350) had the statement which made SPF_dns_lookup fail with DNSTIMEOUT rather that the return codes being checked for.

But when I modified the code to (rr_type = ns_t_txt), it started working okay. I would like to confirm that, is there something missing from the original code or my change is okay.

Another important thing I like to know is that once I am done with my porting effort, I would like to submit my code. Can you please guide how and what the procedure is and How I can get my source code reviewed.

Thanks and Regards,
Karan.

________________________________

> We were using libspf2 (1.0.2) in our product for anti-spam
> functionality on windows platform. Now, we want to upgrade to the
> latest version (1.2.9) to get the fixes for the vulnerabilities
> uncovered recently. For this, we are trying to compile the latest
> version for windows , but we see a lot of errors - some data types
> used in spf_dns_windns.c seem to be missing.
>
>Is there any workaround for this to proceed further?

I know that 1.2 is not fully backward compatible with 1.0 and one should expect to have to do some porting work. I 'm not sure if that's related.

Additionally, none of the developers are Windows users, so it wouldn't suprise me to find that was less well tested and had some things that needed fixing.

Scott K

Archives

Check out the all-new Messenger 9.0! Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/

Re: SPF vulnerability [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 12:04 +0530, karan pott wrote:
> Hi Shevek,
>
> I have spent a bit of effort to make libspf2 1.2.9 to be compilable on
> Windows with Visual Studio 2005. However, while testing I figured out
> that (libspf2-1.2.9\src\libspf2\spf_server.c : 350) had the statement
> which made SPF_dns_lookup fail with DNSTIMEOUT rather that the return
> codes being checked for.
>
> But when I modified the code to (rr_type = ns_t_txt), it started
> working okay. I would like to confirm that, is there something missing
> from the original code or my change is okay.
>
> Another important thing I like to know is that once I am done with my
> porting effort, I would like to submit my code. Can you please guide
> how and what the procedure is and How I can get my source code
> reviewed.

Sure, just email me a patch, and if it looks sane I'll throw it in. I
suspect it's very likely to look sane, since you obviously know what
you're talking about.

S.

Re: SPF vulnerability [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 14:12 +0530, karan pott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We were using libspf2 (1.0.2) in our product for anti-spam
> functionality on windows platform. Now, we want to upgrade to the
> latest version (1.2.9) to get the fixes for the vulnerabilities
> uncovered recently. For this, we are trying to compile the latest
> version for windows , but we see a lot of errors - some data types
> used in spf_dns_windns.c seem to be missing.

Indeed, none of us have a windows system so we can only guess blind,
which isn't much fun. Patches from someone who does have a copy of
windows and a compiler are VERY welcome, I've tried to talk a few people
into it with little success so far.

S.

Re: SPF vulnerability [ In reply to ]
Thanks Shevek, Here is the modified file. the change is at line 350, Please let me know if you have any comments.

Thanks and Regards,
Karan.

________________________________

Connect with friends all over the world. Get Yahoo! India Messenger at http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/?wm=n/

Re: SPF vulnerability [ In reply to ]
Hi Shevek,

I have made all the necessary changes to libspf2 (1.2.9) to port it to Windows. It has been tested on Windows also. I like to submit my changes to be included as part of the official download. Can you please let me know I can go about this?

Thanks,
Karan

________________________________

Now surf faster and smarter ! Check out the new Firefox 3 - Yahoo! Edition http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/firefox/

Re: SPF vulnerability [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, karan pott wrote:
> I have made all the necessary changes to libspf2 (1.2.9) to port it to
> Windows. It has been tested on Windows also. I like to submit my changes
> to be included as part of the official download. Can you please let me
> know I can go about this?

Most project I work with post a unified diff to the list with the changes.

Where I do not do windows, I do not know what tools maybe available to
you. I have heard the mysys has tools or gnu tools for windows. I know
that a diff would be nice for this. That way I could test your changes to
make sure they do not break anything on the OS's I use.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com> 801 849-0213