Mailing List Archive

OpenSPF test resources Licence
I'd like to include the rfc4408-tests.yml and the pyspf-tests.yml files
in our ASLv2 (Apache Software License v2) licensed SPF implementation
(jSPF: http://james.apache.org/jspf/).

I see there are no LICENSE files in the testsuite folder
(http://www.openspf.org/svn/project/test-suite/) but I see that the
www.openspf.org footer says this "Unless noted otherwise, all content on
this website is dual-licensed under the GNU GPL v2 and the Creative
Commons CC BY-SA 2.5.".

Unfortunately GPLv2 does not let us redistribution under the ASLv2
license and "CC BY-SA" is under investigation by the ASF legal team and
we cannot currently ship it under that terms.

At the same time I see that those files are included in the BSD licensed
Mail-SPF library (http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mail-SPF/). If this means
that they have been licensed under the BSD then we could use them
because BSD is ASLv2 compatible.

Can you clarify this point? Can you add a LICENSE file to the svn folder
containing the tests?

I think it would be really important to have an BSD license or similar
that allow anyone to include that resources in their implementations.

Of course we can simply not ship them with our source disribution but I
guess that the SPF community would gain benefits from spreading of that
resources in test-suite and would also receive much more contribution
back from such "users".

Stefano

Re: OpenSPF test resources Licence [ In reply to ]
On Monday 17 September 2007 06:40, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> I'd like to include the rfc4408-tests.yml and the pyspf-tests.yml files
> in our ASLv2 (Apache Software License v2) licensed SPF implementation
> (jSPF: http://james.apache.org/jspf/).
>
> I see there are no LICENSE files in the testsuite folder
> (http://www.openspf.org/svn/project/test-suite/) but I see that the
> www.openspf.org footer says this "Unless noted otherwise, all content on
> this website is dual-licensed under the GNU GPL v2 and the Creative
> Commons CC BY-SA 2.5.".
>
> Unfortunately GPLv2 does not let us redistribution under the ASLv2
> license and "CC BY-SA" is under investigation by the ASF legal team and
> we cannot currently ship it under that terms.
>
> At the same time I see that those files are included in the BSD licensed
> Mail-SPF library (http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mail-SPF/). If this means
> that they have been licensed under the BSD then we could use them
> because BSD is ASLv2 compatible.
>
> Can you clarify this point? Can you add a LICENSE file to the svn folder
> containing the tests?
>
> I think it would be really important to have an BSD license or similar
> that allow anyone to include that resources in their implementations.
>
> Of course we can simply not ship them with our source disribution but I
> guess that the SPF community would gain benefits from spreading of that
> resources in test-suite and would also receive much more contribution
> back from such "users".
>
> Stefano

This is a good point. They are also shipped in the Python Software Foundation
Licensed pyspf, which is BSDish. So, given that the primary authors of the
test suite have distributed it under BSD or BSD like terms, I'm pretty sure
then answer is that it's OK, but it should definitely be clarified as you
suggest.

Scott K

Re: OpenSPF test resources Licence [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> This is a good point. They are also shipped in the Python Software
> Foundation Licensed pyspf, which is BSDish. So, given that the primary
> authors of the test suite have distributed it under BSD or BSD like terms,
> I'm pretty sure then answer is that it's OK, but it should definitely be
> clarified as you suggest.

I am the primary developer for the test suite. My intention was that
the test suite be used in any sort of project, open or proprietary, but
that the test suite source itself always be available. This fits the PSL as
far as I can tell. IANAL, but I suppose the "attribution" part of BSD would in
theory allow a user to find and use the test-suite to verify an implementation,
so it should be fine. Comments?

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

Re: OpenSPF test resources Licence [ In reply to ]
Stuart D. Gathman ha scritto:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>
>> This is a good point. They are also shipped in the Python Software
>> Foundation Licensed pyspf, which is BSDish. So, given that the primary
>> authors of the test suite have distributed it under BSD or BSD like terms,
>> I'm pretty sure then answer is that it's OK, but it should definitely be
>> clarified as you suggest.
>
> I am the primary developer for the test suite. My intention was that
> the test suite be used in any sort of project, open or proprietary, but
> that the test suite source itself always be available. This fits the PSL as
> far as I can tell. IANAL, but I suppose the "attribution" part of BSD would in
> theory allow a user to find and use the test-suite to verify an implementation,
> so it should be fine. Comments?

We would be fine with a BSD-like license that allow us to redistribute
the yaml files by just adding attribution in our NOTICE file (as we
already do for every dependency we bundle in our distribution).

I think adding the LICENSE file here:
http://www.openspf.org/svn/project/test-suite/ and adding an header to
the involved files referencing the LICENSE would help others
understanding what they can do.

AFAIK having no specific LICENSE means that people can do nothing with
those files (default copyright laws in many countries). Maybe they can't
even run it!?

Stefano

Re: OpenSPF test resources Licence [ In reply to ]

Stuart D. Gathman ha scritto:
> I am the primary developer for the test suite. My intention was that
> the test suite be used in any sort of project, open or proprietary, but
> that the test suite source itself always be available. This fits the PSL as
> far as I can tell. IANAL, but I suppose the "attribution" part of BSD would in
> theory allow a user to find and use the test-suite to verify an implementation,
> so it should be fine. Comments?

As Scott and Stuart agree on the licensing can someone with commit
access update the *.yml files in the www.openspf svn to include a
reference to the BSD or the PSFL lincese?
This should be fast and fix this issue before it's too late (if you
start accepting patches to the test suite under an unknown license then
it will become a mess).

Stefano

Re: OpenSPF test resources Licence [ In reply to ]

Re: Re: OpenSPF test resources Licence [ In reply to ]
Julian Mehnle ha scritto:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> As Scott and Stuart agree on the licensing can someone with commit
>> access update the *.yml files in the www.openspf svn to include a
>> reference to the BSD or the PSFL lincese?
>> This should be fast and fix this issue before it's too late (if you
>> start accepting patches to the test suite under an unknown license then
>> it will become a mess).
>
> Done:
>
> http://www.openspf.org/svn/project/test-suite/rfc4408-tests.LICENSE

Thank you very much!