Case sensitivity of SPF results in SPF Received
The ABNF for Received SPF shows the results with an initial capital letter:

http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408#header-field

result = "Pass" / "Fail" / "SoftFail" / "Neutral" /
"None" / "TempError" / "PermError"

Is that case sensitive? Pyspf currently returns all lower case and I'm
wondering if that's a bug?

Scott K

Re: Case sensitivity of SPF results in SPF Received [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> The ABNF for Received SPF shows the results with an initial capital letter:
>
> http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408#header-field
>
> result = "Pass" / "Fail" / "SoftFail" / "Neutral" /
> "None" / "TempError" / "PermError"
>
> Is that case sensitive? Pyspf currently returns all lower case and I'm
> wondering if that's a bug?

The rfc2822 reference for header fields says it is *not* case sensitive.
The capitalization for result in rfc4408 should be taken as a suggestion.
The CVS version of pyspf uses camel case as suggested by the SPF spec.

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

Re: Case sensitivity of SPF results in SPF Received [ In reply to ]
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>
>> The ABNF for Received SPF shows the results with an initial capital
>> letter:
>>
>> http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408#header-field
>>
>> result = "Pass" / "Fail" / "SoftFail" / "Neutral" /
>> "None" / "TempError" / "PermError"
>>
>> Is that case sensitive? Pyspf currently returns all lower case and I'm
>> wondering if that's a bug?
>
> The rfc2822 reference for header fields says it is *not* case sensitive.
> The capitalization for result in rfc4408 should be taken as a suggestion.
> The CVS version of pyspf uses camel case as suggested by the SPF spec.

Some of the applications that use the pyspf library expect lower case, so
any changes will need to be handled with care.

I am curious if the Spamassassin 3.2 Received SPF header processing is
case insensitive? That's the only automated consumer of the header that
I'm aware of.

Scott K

Re: Case sensitivity of SPF results in SPF Received [ In reply to ]

<http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408#abnf>:

| See RFC 4234 for ABNF notation. Please note that as per this ABNF
| definition, literal text strings (those in quotes) are case-insensitive.

RFC 4234, "2.3. Terminal Values":

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Some of the applications that use the pyspf library expect lower case,
> so any changes will need to be handled with care.

Then they are in error.

Re: Case sensitivity of SPF results in SPF Received [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > The rfc2822 reference for header fields says it is *not* case sensitive.
> > The capitalization for result in rfc4408 should be taken as a suggestion.
> > The CVS version of pyspf uses camel case as suggested by the SPF spec.
>
> Some of the applications that use the pyspf library expect lower case, so
> any changes will need to be handled with care.

The returned SPF result is still lower case. Only the Received-SPF header
result is camel case.

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>