Mailing List Archive

Re: libmail-spf-query-perl: spfquery alternatives priorities

-------
Re: Re: libmail-spf-query-perl: spfquery alternatives priorities [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:23:26 +0200 Julian Mehnle <julian@mehnle.net> wrote:

>Magnus,
>
>Magnus Holmgren wrote:
>> Given the overall quality of the libspf2 command-line utilities - lack
>> of manpages (which I'm working to rectify, though), no support for HELO
>> checks, override and fallback unimplemented, etc - I wouldn't mind if
>> spfquery.mail-spf-query-perl were given a higher priority than
>> spfquery.libspf2, even if the latter should execute faster. I think the
>> same goes for spfd.
>>
>> What discussions did you have with the previous libspf2 maintainer? I
>> can see how there can be confusion if at some point in the futures the
>> relative priorities were to revert back.
>
>I am maintaining libmail-spf-query-perl (AKA Mail::SPF::Query) within the
>Debian Perl Group. Mail::SPF::Query (M:S:Q) has been superceded by
>Mail::SPF[1] (M:S, written by me), but there's still a lot of Perl
>software that uses M:S:Q, so we cannot drop it (yet). I haven't managed
>to bring M:S (source: mail-spf-perl; binaries: libmail-spf-perl,
>spf-tools-perl) into the Debian Perl Group yet (I'm currently busy with
>exam preparations), but I'm planning to do so soon. Then, the M:S
>man-pages should have the highest alternatives priority over both M:S:Q
>and libspf2, as M:S has the most advanced spfquery and spfd tools and the
>most complete man-pages for them.
>
>I have added alternatives support to all of M:S, M:S:Q, and libspf2 (I was
>the one who submitted the patch). This is the order I originally
>envisioned:
>
> Mail::SPF 100
> libspf2 75
> Mail::SPF::Query 50
>
>But I can very well see changing libspf2's alternatives priority to 25
>until it ships better man-pages. It's up to you.
>
>> Another thing: will you add a Conflicts: spfquery (<= 1.2.5-4) on the
>> next upload?
>
>Yes.

I'm also working on getting pyspf 2.0.3 into Debian through the Python
team. It also has spfquery with u/a support the Debian BTS for pyspf has a
bug with a link to the package.

I think it should be prioritized below mail:spf because mail:spf has better
docs, but above the others because it's RFC 4408 compliant.

Scott K

-------