Mailing List Archive

incorrect Received-SPF format
All this time, I've been generating Received-SPF header fields, and I've
been doing it wrong. I was just emulating what I've seen elsewhere, but just
got through checking RFC4408 :-( Here is what I output currently:

2007Mar26 21:37:14 [8573] Received-SPF: permerror include:sbcglobal.net
(mail.bmsi.com: permanent error in processing domain of barbara.com: No
valid SPF record for included domain: sbcglobal.net)
client_ip=210.213.146.37; envelope_from="xiao-linkl@barbara.com";
helo=localhost.localdomain; receiver=mail.bmsi.com;
problem="include:sbcglobal.net"; mechanism=~all; identity=mailfrom

Putting the problem mechanism after the result is no longer allowed
in RFC4408. I'm pretty sure it was there in earlier drafts. Furthermore,
the spec requires camel case capitalization (provides literals for
result). So, it should look like this instead:

2007Mar26 21:37:14 [8573] Received-SPF: PermError (mail.bmsi.com: permanent
error in processing domain of barbara.com: No valid SPF record for
included domain: sbcglobal.net) client_ip=210.213.146.37;
envelope_from="xiao-linkl@barbara.com"; helo=localhost.localdomain;
receiver=mail.bmsi.com; problem="include:sbcglobal.net";
mechanism=~all; identity=mailfrom

But I guess the parser I'm about to write should be able to handle the old
way also.

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

-------
Re: incorrect Received-SPF format [ In reply to ]

-------
Re: Re: incorrect Received-SPF format [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Julian Mehnle wrote:

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4234#page-5
>
> RFC 4234 ABNF grammar strings are case-insensitive.

Thanks. But it looks nicer now anyway. :-)

Re: incorrect Received-SPF format [ In reply to ]
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

>> RFC 4234 ABNF grammar strings are case-insensitive.

> Thanks. But it looks nicer now anyway. :-)

However RFC 4234 does not say that "-" is the same as "_":

You can say cLieNt-Ip but not client_ip. In your example
was also an envelope_from instead of an envelope-from (?)

Frank

-------
Re: Re: incorrect Received-SPF format [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> However RFC 4234 does not say that "-" is the same as "_":
>
> You can say cLieNt-Ip but not client_ip. In your example
> was also an envelope_from instead of an envelope-from (?)

Arrrgh. Thanks again.

Re: Re: incorrect Received-SPF format [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> > You can say cLieNt-Ip but not client_ip. In your example
> > was also an envelope_from instead of an envelope-from (?)
>
> Arrrgh. Thanks again.

2007Mar27 16:14:00 [7091] Received-SPF: PermError (mail.bmsi.com: permanent
error in processing domain of novoe-a.net: empty domain:)
client-ip=63.175.28.197; envelope-from="bounce-5D20872E64@novoe-a.net";
helo=novoe-d.net; receiver=mail.bmsi.com; problem="a:";
identity=mailfrom; x-helo-spf=permerror;

2007Mar27 16:46:15 [16] Received-SPF: None (mail.bmsi.com: 209.135.64.116 is
neither permitted nor denied by domain of nexinnovations.com)
client-ip=209.135.64.116;
envelope-from="Lorne.Roneki@nexinnovations.com";
helo=misns02.nexinnovations.com; receiver=mail.bmsi.com;
mechanism=mx/24; identity=mailfrom; x-bestguess=pass; x-helo-spf=pass;

Re: incorrect Received-SPF format [ In reply to ]
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

>> Arrrgh. Thanks again.

What's that, you fixed it 15 minutes later ? :-)

> 2007Mar27 16:14:00 [7091] Received-SPF: PermError (mail.bmsi.com: permanent
> error in processing domain of novoe-a.net: empty domain:)
> client-ip=63.175.28.197; envelope-from="bounce-5D20872E64@novoe-a.net";
> helo=novoe-d.net; receiver=mail.bmsi.com; problem="a:";
> identity=mailfrom; x-helo-spf=permerror;

If problem="something" is a good idea we should add it to 4408bis.
I think it's clear in the spec. that new parameters are expected
to be defined (or to be tested, using x-name=value)

Frank

-------
Re: incorrect Received-SPF format [ In reply to ]

-------
Re: Re: incorrect Received-SPF format [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> If problem="something" is a good idea we should add it to 4408bis.
> I think it's clear in the spec. that new parameters are expected
> to be defined (or to be tested, using x-name=value)

I got problem= from 4408. No need to add it to 4408bis.

key = "client-ip" / "envelope-from" / "helo" /
"problem" / "receiver" / "identity" /
mechanism / "x-" name / name

Re: Re: incorrect Received-SPF format [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Julian Mehnle wrote:

> > If problem="something" is a good idea we should add it to 4408bis.
> > I think it's clear in the spec. that new parameters are expected
> > to be defined (or to be tested, using x-name=value)
>
> We can do that without problems. No pun intended. However, "problem" may
> not be the best name. Perhaps: syntax-error-in="a:"?

"problem" is the name specified by 4408 in 7.7. Too late.