Mailing List Archive

Re: [spf-help] Re: mailing list SPF config help please
On Tuesday 10 October 2006 16:13, on SPF-help Frank Ellermann wrote:

> Apparently 13, you counted some mx twice. Whatever the reason is, I'm
> sure that we want it in the test suite... :-)

Um, how many lookups for:

v=spf1 a a -all

I think it's two even though it'll be cached?

Scott K

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: mailing list SPF config help please [ In reply to ]
Scott Kitterman wrote:

> how many lookups for:
> v=spf1 a a -all
> I think it's two even though it'll be cached?

Yes. But in your 18 example you had one mx (2) counted once (#2),
and several other mx-mechanisms like mx (17,18) counted twice (?)

Or maybe I misinterpreted your count:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spf.help/4669>

Frank

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Re: mailing list SPF config help please [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 11 October 2006 16:04, Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > how many lookups for:
> > v=spf1 a a -all
> > I think it's two even though it'll be cached?
>
> Yes. But in your 18 example you had one mx (2) counted once (#2),
> and several other mx-mechanisms like mx (17,18) counted twice (?)
>
> Or maybe I misinterpreted your count:
> <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spf.help/4669>

For the MX I was counting one for the MX lookup and one for the following A
lookup. Now that I think about it, that may have been in error. In any
case, he had to many and we can debate the nitnoid details here if necessary.

Scott K

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: mailing list SPF config help please [ In reply to ]
Scott Kitterman wrote:

> For the MX I was counting one for the MX lookup and one for the
> following A lookup. Now that I think about it, that may have
> been in error.

What "following A" ? Let's take "mx:mail.netforum.com.br [3,4]"
as example, that's one q=mx (ugh, I get no answer, anyway, it's
one query). Did you automatically try a q=a after q=mx failed ?

IIRC that's addressed in the spec., no automatical fallback to A
if MX fails.

> In any case, he had to many

ACK, but fixing 13 to stay within the limits will be easier than
fixing 18 for this user... :-)

> we can debate the nitnoid details here if necessary.

It might need a test case triggering your "second query", with an
outcome of "don't do this".

Frank

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Re: mailing list SPF config help please [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 11 October 2006 18:03, Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > For the MX I was counting one for the MX lookup and one for the
> > following A lookup. Now that I think about it, that may have
> > been in error.
>
> What "following A" ? Let's take "mx:mail.netforum.com.br [3,4]"
> as example, that's one q=mx (ugh, I get no answer, anyway, it's
> one query). Did you automatically try a q=a after q=mx failed ?
>
> IIRC that's addressed in the spec., no automatical fallback to A
> if MX fails.

No, not that one. I was thinking of the lookup to find the IP address of the
domain that is the MX. That doesn't count as it's part of the no more than
10 MX count.

> > In any case, he had to many
>
> ACK, but fixing 13 to stay within the limits will be easier than
> fixing 18 for this user... :-)
>
> > we can debate the nitnoid details here if necessary.
>
> It might need a test case triggering your "second query", with an
> outcome of "don't do this".

There ought to be tests to see that counting for processing limits is getting
done correctly.

Scott K

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com