Mailing List Archive

Frank is right again - make him Errata editor (sweet revenge...)
On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> We agree then that "a:oemcomputer" is a syntax error,
> however, you claim the "a:%{h}" is NOT a syntax error, even
> when %{h} expands to "oemcomputer", because %{h} COULD expand to
> something valid. Please give me the precise rules whereby one draws the line
> between these two poles, so that I can add appropriate test cases around that
> line. I'm sure implementors will have as much trouble pulling these rules from
> the penumbras of the RFC as I do - and the test cases will come in handy.
>
> Example rules:
>
> easy to implement rule: Any domain spec containing a macro
> is never a syntax error. (The macro might expand to something that
> makes it valid.)
>
> hard to implement rule: A domain spec containing macros is a syntax error
> when no possible macro expansion could ever make it a valid.

Studying 8.1/2 carefully, I see that a domain-spec must end in either
a macro, OR a valid toplabel. So Frank is correct, syntax checking takes
place before macro expansion - however, only a literal toplable is syntax
checked. Pretty much anything goes before the toplabel.

Creating test cases now.

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

-------