/root/.spamassassin (sa-learn ran as root)
-C /etc/mail/spamassassin resulted in the files being put in
/root/.spamassassin (sa-learn ran as root)
-C /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes resulted in the files being put in
/etc/mail/spamassassin (also ran as root)

1. Do I need to specify where to put the files for site-wide filtering? If
so, where and how in view of above?

THANKS
Re: Where sa-learn puts bayes files? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, John Fleming wrote:

> I've tried various tests today, and I don't see the pattern. I want to
> generate Bayes intelligence that will function site-wide. I don't
> understand any logic for where it puts the bayes_toks and bayes_seen files,
> nor do I understand whether it matters where they reside.
>
> I've tried using the option
> -C /etc/mail/spamassassin
> to direct it to a specified folder, but that didn't work as expected.
>
> not using the -C option resulted in the files being put in
> /root/.spamassassin (sa-learn ran as root)
> -C /etc/mail/spamassassin resulted in the files being put in
> /root/.spamassassin (sa-learn ran as root)
> -C /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes resulted in the files being put in
> /etc/mail/spamassassin (also ran as root)
>
> 1. Do I need to specify where to put the files for site-wide filtering? If
> so, where and how in view of above?

usually bayes files should reside in the .spamassassin folder of the user
running spamd. but you can define it from within local.cf (an example):
bayes_path /var/milter/.spamassassin/bayes

this will build bayes db in /var/milter/.spamassassin/

bayes_journal
bayes_seen
bayes_toks

the user running spamd should have propper rights within the directory.

regards,
Matthias
Re: Where sa-learn puts bayes files? [ In reply to ]
Re: Where sa-learn puts bayes files? [ In reply to ]
Good morning, John,

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, John Fleming wrote:

> 1. Do I need to specify where to put the files for site-wide filtering? If
> so, where and how in view of above?

You might want to take a look at:
http://www.stearns.org/doc/spamassassin-setup.current.html#autoreporting
which walks you through the process.
Cheers,
- Bill

"This virus only works on Linux. It works on the honor system.
Please forward this email to everyone you know, then delete a bunch of
files."
-- Ross Carlson
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com). Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at: http://www.stearns.org