Mailing List Archive

Is there a problem with perl-Mail*.rpm from kludge
I'm having a heck of a time getting
perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-2.63-1.i386.rpm from spamassassin.kluge.net
to uninstall.

I wanted to build *2.70 from the snapshots and got that done ok.
But then trying to uninstall the 2.63-1 rpms I ran into a real snag.

spamassassin and spamassassin-tool went rpm -e with no problems.

But perl-Mail kind of reminds me of the old saying:

'Couldn't go ahead and I couldn't stand still so I ran up and down
like an old saw mill'

It seems to have thrashed my package manager (Redhat 9)

Any attempt to rpm -e leads to a complete stall and even if I kill -9
that process, no other rpms commands work after that (short of a
reboot)

after a reboot I tried the standard rpm --rebuilddb which takes quite
a while and then ends with an error:
rpm --rebuilddb
error: db4 error(16) from dbenv->remove: Device or resource busy

I tried going to runlevel 1 from a reboot but still get that error.
Tried a forcable reinstall (with a src pkg rebuilt on this machine)
which worked but then rpm -e is off to never never land again.

Seems no way to get rid of it out of the database.

Anyone else noticed a problem or have an idea about a solution?