Mailing List Archive

RE: Where to Find Custom SA Rules
> I hope that this is ok with the SA devs and the wonderful
> folks that donate their time to supply us with great rules.
>
> I have put together a new page on
> http://wiki.spamassassin.org that details > some of the popular
> custom rulesets.
>
> http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/CustomRulesets is currently
> linked from the exisiting
> http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/SpamAssassinRules page.

This is AWESOME Matt! Thank you!

And there are even some there that I might try now, that were probably
announced buried in a thread I wasn't interested in. Good work!

Bret
RE: Where to Find Custom SA Rules [ In reply to ]

> > http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/CustomRulesets

What's the difference between bigevil and sa-blacklist/sa-blacklist-uri
other than who created them? I always see talk of bigevil here but this is
the first I've heard of the other two. Is anyone using them?

Thx.

--JR
RE: Where to Find Custom SA Rules [ In reply to ]
At 12:56 PM 2/6/2004, JR wrote:
> http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/CustomRulesets
>

>What's the difference between bigevil and sa-blacklist/sa-blacklist-uri
>other than who created them?

If you read the web page it says who made them

Bigevil is by Chris Santerre, and is a semi-automated URI blacklist based
on Chris's spam and spam people point out to him.

sa-blacklist is by William Stearns, and is a From-address blacklist set of
people who spammed him, etc. (note: a typo on the wiki calls him William
Stearn)

sa-blacklist-uri is also by William Stearns. It's a URI based list similar
to bigevil, but it's based on the domains listed in sa-blacklist.

Stearns has a readme for his lists at:

http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/README

RE: Where to Find Custom SA Rules [ In reply to ]
Good afternoon, all,
(Thanks for the answer, Matt.)

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Matt Kettler wrote:

> At 12:56 PM 2/6/2004, JR wrote:
>
> Stearns has a readme for his lists at:
>
> http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/README

...and the home site for all the lists is
http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/

> > I always see talk of bigevil here but this is the first I've heard of
> > the other two. Is anyone using them?

Oh my, yes. Even though I have a number of other projects hosted
on my web site, the stats for the primary mirror alone show that I've
had 190,000 downloads of files in that directory (about 14% of the bytes
shipped by that mirror, not bad considering I have .iso images there too).
Cheers,
- Bill

"Where's the kaboom, there was supposed to be
an earth-shattering kaboom!"
-- Marvin Martian
(Courtesy of John Green <johngreen@starband.net>)
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com). Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at: http://www.stearns.org
> >What's the difference between bigevil and
> sa-blacklist/sa-blacklist-uri
> >other than who created them?
>
> If you read the web page it says who made them
>
> Bigevil is by Chris Santerre, and is a semi-automated URI
> blacklist based
> on Chris's spam and spam people point out to him.
>
> sa-blacklist is by William Stearns, and is a From-address
> blacklist set of
> people who spammed him, etc. (note: a typo on the wiki calls
> him William
> Stearn)
>
> sa-blacklist-uri is also by William Stearns. It's a URI based
> list similar
> to bigevil, but it's based on the domains listed in sa-blacklist.
>
> Stearns has a readme for his lists at:
>
> http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/README
>
> > I always see talk of bigevil here but this is the first
> I've heard of
> > the other two. Is anyone using them?

All correct but missing one major thing. Bigevil has it's regex tweaked like
mad! Size does matter on a heavy traffic server. I urge you to look at both
files. If you have a light traffic server stearns lists are GREAT! But it
will crush high traffic. Bigevil started like Stearns' rules.

It takes a little more work for me, but the results are VERY worth it.

ANYONE who has second thoughts about using Bigevil, I suggest just
downloading and running a script to change the score. You know what.......

http://www.merchantsoverseas.com/wwwroot/gorilla/bigevil_lowscore.cf

It is the latest with all scores set to .33

Otherwise the one scored at 3.0 is in the link in my sig.

Give it a try.

Chris Santerre
System Admin and SA Custom Rules Emporium keeper
http://www.merchantsoverseas.com/wwwroot/gorilla/sa_rules.htm
'It is not the strongest of the species that survives,
not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.'
Charles Darwin
RE: Where to Find Custom SA Rules [ In reply to ]
At 01:39 PM 2/6/2004, Chris Santerre wrote:
>All correct but missing one major thing. Bigevil has it's regex tweaked like
>mad! Size does matter on a heavy traffic server. I urge you to look at both
>files. If you have a light traffic server stearns lists are GREAT! But it
>will crush high traffic. Bigevil started like Stearns' rules.

Agreed, and I remember back when bigevil was a flat list.

In general I was more commenting on the nature of what goes into the list,
and wasn't discussing the size of the lists and how they work at a
rule-construction level.