Mailing List Archive

bounce/redirect from a script?
Good day, all,
I'd like to update the spam reporting script I mentioned yesterday
( http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/learn-spam.current ) to
automatically bounce (aka redirect, keeping existing headers in place) all
emails in the spam folder to uce@ftc.gov . I certainly can do that from a
mail client (
http://www.stearns.org/doc/spamassassin-setup.current.html#redirect ), but
am drawing a blank on how this could be done from the command line (*).
I'd appreciate even a pointer to a tool or technique that might work, and
I'll be glad to do the legwork from there...
Cheers,
- Bill

* This would allow people with no bounce/redirect support in their email
client to have access to bouncing mail if they can save to an mbox format.

"It starts with installing Linux, then moves on to building your
own kernel.
Pretty soon you're foaming at the mouth, running Installfests,
and arguing with elderly ladies at the supermarket over whether VI or
Emacs has the more intuitive interface. Once you've hit the rock bottom
of requiring dvorak on your keyboard, arrest warrants are issued by the
FBI."
-- William Stearns <wstearns@pobox.com>
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com). Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at: http://www.stearns.org
Re: bounce/redirect from a script? [ In reply to ]
Does uce@ftc.gov really want all this junk?
I get over 1000 spams a day between a half dozen
accounts, it would seem to me that 1-2 people
sending in their spam would be more than enough.
What can you do with a million spams that you can't
do with a thousand?

Jon.

Re: bounce/redirect from a script? [ In reply to ]
At 10:43 AM 2/6/2004, William Stearns wrote:
>Good day, all,
> I'd like to update the spam reporting script I mentioned yesterday
>( http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/learn-spam.current ) to
>automatically bounce (aka redirect, keeping existing headers in place) all
>emails in the spam folder to uce@ftc.gov . I certainly can do that from a
>mail client (
>http://www.stearns.org/doc/spamassassin-setup.current.html#redirect ), but
>am drawing a blank on how this could be done from the command line (*).
>I'd appreciate even a pointer to a tool or technique that might work, and
>I'll be glad to do the legwork from there...
> Cheers,
> - Bill

I don't know how to do it from the command line but Theo does it as part
of his handlespam perl script:

http://www.kluge.net/~felicity/random/handlespam.txt
RE: bounce/redirect from a script? [ In reply to ]
Just put a line on your webpages with the email address uce@ftc.gov on it.
Or post to a few newsgroups mentioning it.

Then the spammers will do the sending for you.

Phil

Phil Randal
Network Engineer
Herefordshire Council
Hereford, UK

Re: bounce/redirect from a script? [ In reply to ]
Good morning, Matt,

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Matt Kettler wrote:

> At 10:43 AM 2/6/2004, William Stearns wrote:
> > I'd like to update the spam reporting script I mentioned yesterday
> >( http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/learn-spam.current ) to
> >automatically bounce (aka redirect, keeping existing headers in place) all
> >emails in the spam folder to uce@ftc.gov . I certainly can do that from a
> >mail client (
> >http://www.stearns.org/doc/spamassassin-setup.current.html#redirect ), but
> >am drawing a blank on how this could be done from the command line (*).
> >I'd appreciate even a pointer to a tool or technique that might work, and
> >I'll be glad to do the legwork from there...
>
> I don't know how to do it from the command line but Theo does it as part
> of his handlespam perl script:
>
> http://www.kluge.net/~felicity/random/handlespam.txt

That's _perfect_, and GPL'd too! Thanks for the pointer, Matt,
and thanks for the script, Theo! For the moment I'll probably call it
from the shell script, but may start customizing it later.
Cheers,
- Bill

"Windows is the answer, but only if the question was 'What is
the intellectual equivalent of being a galley slave?'"
-- Larry Smith, in comp.os.linux.misc
(Courtesy of Rodger Donaldson <rodgerd@ihug.co.nz>)
Re: bounce/redirect from a script? [ In reply to ]
Good day, Jon,

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Jon Gabrielson wrote:

> Does uce@ftc.gov really want all this junk?
> I get over 1000 spams a day between a half dozen
> accounts, it would seem to me that 1-2 people
> sending in their spam would be more than enough.
> What can you do with a million spams that you can't
> do with a thousand?

According to http://www.ftc.gov/spam/ , they do. They save the
spams in a database so they can look for patterns, if I read their web
pages correctly.
Either that, or I _really_ pity the guy that has to go through
them one by one. ;-)
Cheers,
- Bill

RE: bounce/redirect from a script? [ In reply to ]
Good afternoon, Phil,

LOL! Like the last paragraph on http://www.stearns.org/ ? *grin*