Mailing List Archive

Subject tag poll results
OK, the results are in...

from the web, we have:

No, but if you must put [SAusers] at start of line 22.41 % (13)
No, but if you must put [SAusers] at end of line 25.86 % (15)
Yes, I prefer [SAusers] at start of line 41.38 % (24)
Yes, I prefer [SAusers] at end of line 0.00 % (0)
I don't care 6.90 % (4)
Prepare for Armageddon! 3.45 % (2)

and by mail, we have:

No: 9
Yes: 1

that means a total of

No: 22
Yes: 25

so the yesses have it. (damn!)

--j.
RE: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 01:49:15AM -0600, Matthew Hunter <matthew@infodancer.org> wrote:
> Yes: 24 + 0 + 1 = 25
> No: 13 + 15 + 9 ?= 22
>
> I don't like your math.
>
> Yes: 24 + 0 + 1 = 25
> No: 13 + 15 + 9 = 37
>
> I like mine better.
>
> I'm not sure exactly how you managed to come up with 22...

Apologies for the broken threading on the original, folks.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew@infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt
Re: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
Whoohoo! Tell us what we win, bob!

Re: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
I belong to several mailing lists that give me personally the choice to turn on subject tagging or leave it off. Perhaps the listserver for this list could be set up the same way. Personally, I pretty much need this option, since I use Outlook Depress to read mail, and it has, um, "rather poor" header filtering capabilities. Other people that can filter on X- headers might not want or need the option.

Another option might be to insure that the mail from the list claims to be from the list, rather than directly from the poster. The would let me filter on the From: header.

Loren

Re: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
why does anyone need extra subject tagging to filter ML's messages?

i generally just sort them by "to" or "cc" containing:
"SpamAssassin-users@incubator.apache.org" (for this ML)

works like a charm on any ML i've subscribed.

is it that hard?

Re: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
smae thought about the originator from me ;) *grin*

but i would even say that filtering by subject tag is a stupid idea.
if someone is replying directly that mail will be sorted into the ML
folder instead of the normal inbox where it would belong IMO.

RE: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
At 01:50 AM 2/6/04 -0600, Matthew Hunter wrote:
> > Yes: 24 + 0 + 1 = 25
> > No: 13 + 15 + 9 = 37
> >
> > I like mine better.
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly how you managed to come up with 22...
>
>Apologies for the broken threading on the original, folks.

He came up with 22 because he was only adding the first "No" category from
the web and missed the second one.... 13+9 = 22. A shortfall of exactly 15
votes....

Note to self: when reviewing bug reports, always double-check Justin's math ;)
Re: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
And this works with us Outlook Express (top posters) too!
FVGT ;)~

Re: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
I really don't understand why anyone would object to adding [SA] to the
beginning of the subject line. This list has always had a tag on the
subject line. And by having that tag it is easier to cruise through the
hundreds of emails I get to decide what I want I want to read and what
get's deleted.

I have enough to do without having to setup filters and folders and change
how I handle my mail.

Since adding four little characters can't possibly harm anyone I believe
this falls under the category of 'majority rule but minority rights'.

Best Regards,

Jeff Koch, Intersessions
Re: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
Ditto this.

RE: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
> I really don't understand why anyone would object to adding
> [SA] to the
> beginning of the subject line. This list has always had a tag on the
> subject line. And by having that tag it is easier to cruise
> through the
> hundreds of emails I get to decide what I want I want to read
> and what get's deleted.

Well, the problem here is that I use Outlook and it doesn't seem to be
able to sort by subject correctly when the subjects come in different
forms like:

[sa] subject
Re: [sa] subject
[sa] Re: subject
Re[2]: [sa] subject
[sa] Re[2]: subject

I think it's the ones with [sa] in front of "Re:" that screw it up. It
makes it very difficult to follow a thread when the messages are all
over the place.

Bret
RE: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
If you step back and look at this whole discussion of tag vs. no tag, I
think it is easy to see why we will never get passed catching more then 99%
spam :)

It doesn't hurt anyone if it is there. Put it there and move on.

--Chris
RE: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
OE users have several options.
I typically move messages containing [SA] in the subject to a folder.
at present I move messages that contain the spamassassin address in either the To or CC field., of course, I'm using GroupWise at present so its just the same.

RE: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
Without a tag, it's fully alphabetic. So the other day when I was
looking for thread "Joe Jobbing countermeasures" in a Postfix discussion
list, I sorted the 40,000 messages by subject, hit the [J] key, and I
was there. Rather than having to scroll through looking for
[Postfix-Users]Joe Jobbing.

That's why I like it. I can't do that with lists that prepend a [tag].
Besides, I subscribe public folders to most lists, and the others I just
make the rules by TO: or CC: and they *always* work. And I can go into
a folder with 50k messages and jump to the thread I want in <2 seconds.

RE: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
That assumes somebody didn't use 'How do I stop Job Jobbing' as a subject
line. You should be grepping the subject line not sorting it - and having
an [SA] tag won't interfere with a grep.

RE: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
I object to the prepending. I have a small monitor and bad eyes. I have
800 pixels of horizontal space and every pixel counts. The [SA] uses five
characters' worth of vertical space of the Subject tag, which means I see
that much less of the subject.

This is not academic. There's already the wasted RE:/FW:/ stuff to deal
with. This all adds up. "RE: [SATalk] " is thirteen characters (counting
the trailing space). Counting spaced used by the trailing "..." that
Outlook throws in, I have about 20-25 characters' worth of usable Subject:
width - using up half of that with a prefix is a waste.

I subscribe to many lists and use the List-Id: header to filter them into
different folders when I can. To/Cc recipient filtering works for the rest.

Postpending would be fine with me.

Re: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=458115

http://www.getodd.com/stuf/stupid/eyetest/eyetest.html
Re: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:29:09 -0500, Jeff Koch <jeffkoch@intersessions.com> writes:

> I really don't understand why anyone would object to adding [SA] to
> the beginning of the subject line.

Four reasons:

#1: Its not necessary. Just about any client allows filtering to
seperate folders.

#2: It and 'Re:' can get into wars: 'Re: [SA] Re: [SA] ...'.

#3: It can lead to confusion because a private response would
include such a tag unless the author explicitly removed it.

#4: Clients that put an entire message on one line like Pine and
others may only reserve a 20-35 columns. A '[SA] ' tag consumes 5 of
those, potentially 25% of the subject line. '[SA] Re: ' consumes 8.

> This list has always had a tag on the subject line.

Not for me. I have my client both remove the tag that used to be there
(all 9 characters of it) and also filter messages to a seperate folder.

> I have enough to do without having to setup filters and folders and
> change how I handle my mail.

Here's a tip: Two rules:

Virtually every mailing list has this header. I use this to keep new
or infrequent mailing lists from cluttering my main inbox. Most bulky
mail lists already go into their own folder.

> Since adding four little characters can't possibly harm anyone I
> believe this falls under the category of 'majority rule but minority
> rights'.

Interesting line of argument. Replace 'characters' with 'emails' and
you're quoting spammers.

Scott
Re: Subject tag poll results [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:15:33 -0600, "JRiley" <jriley@spamfighter.org> writes:

> > I object to the prepending. I have a small monitor and bad eyes. I have
> > 800 pixels of horizontal space and every pixel counts. The [SA] uses five
> > characters' worth of vertical space of the Subject tag, which means I see
> > that much less of the subject.
>
> http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=458115

You supply the credit card number and I'm sure that Matthew will
happily supply the shipping address.

Scott