Mailing List Archive

RE: [SAtalk] Virus Bounce rules at www.exit0.us
Wish list for rulesets like these.

1. Could there be a file that can be DL'd with wget and simply saved
as an operational .cf file? BigEvil and AntiDrug are examples of files
that can be downloaded and used automatically. If I grab this list, I
have to manually edit out all the html code to make a file. Easy
enough, but easier if I don't have to. </whine>

2. Is there a list of rulesets out there? Maybe someone could start a
thread that lists all the current rule sets people have grabbed and
their comments on them.

Thanx!

-Michael

>>> "Yackley, Matt" <Matt.Yackley@perkinswill.com> 01/27/04 05:29PM

http://www.exit0.us/index.php/VirusBounceRules

-matt

> 2. Is there a list of rulesets out there? Maybe someone
> could start a thread that lists all the current rule sets
> people have grabbed and their comments on them.

Or better yet, how about creating an entry in the Wiki for
"CustomRuleSets" where we could put links to various sites where custom
rules are found. That way, if someone finds SA tomorrow, they'll have a
resource to go to rather than having to ask first.

Bret
> > 2. Is there a list of rulesets out there? Maybe someone
> > could start a thread that lists all the current rule sets
> > people have grabbed and their comments on them.
>
> Or better yet, how about creating an entry in the Wiki for
> "CustomRuleSets" where we could put links to various sites
> where custom
> rules are found. That way, if someone finds SA tomorrow,
> they'll have a
> resource to go to rather than having to ask first.
>
> Bret

I guess it could be written up better, but on the front page there is
list of links....
Or are you talking about the official SA wiki?

From exit0.us--
Other rules sites:

Matt Kettler's How to write rules
Chris Santerre's Custom Rule Emporium
Jennifer's Excellent Rulesets (Popcorn, Backhair, Weeds, Chickenpox)
Daniel Lafraia's Brazilian spam rules collection
William Stearns' collected blacklists
The Official SpamAssassin config web page
John Bokma's Spamassassin spam filter cookbook
RE: [SAtalk] Virus Bounce rules at www.exit0.us [ In reply to ]
> > > 2. Is there a list of rulesets out there? Maybe someone
> > > could start a thread that lists all the current rule sets
> > > people have grabbed and their comments on them.
> >
> > Or better yet, how about creating an entry in the Wiki for
> > "CustomRuleSets" where we could put links to various sites where
> > custom rules are found. That way, if someone finds SA tomorrow,
> > they'll have a
> > resource to go to rather than having to ask first.
> >
> > Bret
> >

> I guess it could be written up better, but on the front page
> there is list of links.... Or are you talking about the
> official SA wiki?
>
> From exit0.us--
> Other rules sites:
>
> Matt Kettler's How to write rules
> Chris Santerre's Custom Rule Emporium
> Jennifer's Excellent Rulesets (Popcorn, Backhair, Weeds, Chickenpox)
> Daniel Lafraia's Brazilian spam rules collection
> William Stearns' collected blacklists
> The Official SpamAssassin config web page
> John Bokma's Spamassassin spam filter cookbook

I mean in the official SA wiki. Something like,

"SpamAssassin contains a large compilation of rules that have been
thoroughly tested and scored based on a very large base of spam and ham.
Other users have created sets of rules that may increase the
effectiveness of SpamAssassin for you. Most of these rules have not gone
through the rigorous tests that the standard rules have. Use them at
your own risk."

And then list all the sites that have publicly available rules...

It just gives new users a place to look and find rules that might help
them deal with their spam. Maybe we could also include "Recommended For
General Use" on the ones that seem to work well for a lot of us
(Backhair, Weeds, Chickenpox, BigEvil, etc).

Bret

Bret

Bret

> > > Or better yet, how about creating an entry in the Wiki for
> > > "CustomRuleSets" where we could put links to various sites where
> > > custom rules are found. That way, if someone finds SA tomorrow,
> > > they'll have a
> > > resource to go to rather than having to ask first.
> > >
> > > Bret
> > >

> > I guess it could be written up better, but on the front page
> > there is list of links.... Or are you talking about the
> > official SA wiki?
> >
> > From exit0.us--
> > Other rules sites:
> >
> > Matt Kettler's How to write rules
> > Chris Santerre's Custom Rule Emporium
> > Jennifer's Excellent Rulesets (Popcorn, Backhair, Weeds,
> Chickenpox)
> > Daniel Lafraia's Brazilian spam rules collection
> > William Stearns' collected blacklists
> > The Official SpamAssassin config web page
> > John Bokma's Spamassassin spam filter cookbook
>
> I mean in the official SA wiki. Something like,
>
> "SpamAssassin contains a large compilation of rules that have been
> thoroughly tested and scored based on a very large base of
> spam and ham.
> Other users have created sets of rules that may increase the
> effectiveness of SpamAssassin for you. Most of these rules
> have not gone
> through the rigorous tests that the standard rules have. Use them at
> your own risk."
>
> And then list all the sites that have publicly available rules...
>
> It just gives new users a place to look and find rules that might help
> them deal with their spam. Maybe we could also include
> "Recommended For
> General Use" on the ones that seem to work well for a lot of us
> (Backhair, Weeds, Chickenpox, BigEvil, etc).
>
> Bret

Ok, got it....
Looks like there is a starting point, but it needs to be fixed up:
http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/SpamAssassinRules

Not real pretty and not linked from the front page or the FAQ section.
Plus maybe it should really be a CustomRules or
CustomRuleResources....something along those lines

-matt

>> > I guess it could be written up better, but on the front page
>> > there is list of links.... Or are you talking about the
>> > official SA wiki?
>> >
>> > From exit0.us--
>> > Other rules sites:
>> >
>> > Matt Kettler's How to write rules
>> > Chris Santerre's Custom Rule Emporium
>> > Jennifer's Excellent Rulesets (Popcorn, Backhair, Weeds,
>> Chickenpox)
>> > Daniel Lafraia's Brazilian spam rules collection
>> > William Stearns' collected blacklists
>> > The Official SpamAssassin config web page
>> > John Bokma's Spamassassin spam filter cookbook
>>
>> I mean in the official SA wiki. Something like,
>>
>> "SpamAssassin contains a large compilation of rules that have been
>> thoroughly tested and scored based on a very large base of
>> spam and ham.
>> Other users have created sets of rules that may increase the
>> effectiveness of SpamAssassin for you. Most of these rules
>> have not gone
>> through the rigorous tests that the standard rules have. Use them at
>> your own risk."
>>
>> And then list all the sites that have publicly available rules...
>>
>> It just gives new users a place to look and find rules that might help
>> them deal with their spam. Maybe we could also include
>> "Recommended For
>> General Use" on the ones that seem to work well for a lot of us
>> (Backhair, Weeds, Chickenpox, BigEvil, etc).
>>
>> Bret
>>

> Ok, got it....
> Looks like there is a starting point, but it needs to be fixed up:
> http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/SpamAssassinRules
>
> Not real pretty and not linked from the front page or the FAQ section.
> Plus maybe it should really be a CustomRules or
> CustomRuleResources....something along those lines
>
> -matt

Time to reply to myself....

I hope that this is ok with the SA devs and the wonderful folks that
donate their time to supply us with great rules.

I have put together a new page on http://wiki.spamassassin.org that
details some of the popular custom rulesets.

http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/CustomRulesets is currently linked from the
exisiting http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/SpamAssassinRules page.

-matt