I'm sure Chris is already aware of this, but thought I would bring it to
the list's attention.

Nathan
RE: Sandgnat.com Down - RulesDuJour Affected [ In reply to ]
Nevermind, the domain didn't expire (my confusion). However, I am having
problems reaching the site to download the script. Has anyone else
noticed this or is this a local issue?

Nathan
Re: Sandgnat.com Down - RulesDuJour Affected [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Nathan Johanson (nathan@tcpnetworks.net) [05/02/04 17:29]:
> Nevermind, the domain didn't expire (my confusion). However, I am having
> problems reaching the site to download the script. Has anyone else
> noticed this or is this a local issue?

No, I'm having troubles as well. It looks like the primary and secondary
nameservers aren't responding authoritatively (when they respond):

[damian]@[pegmatite]:[~]% dig @NS1.GRANITECANYON.COM sandgnat.com soa
+noaddit

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @NS1.GRANITECANYON.COM sandgnat.com soa +noaddit
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 13
;; QUERY SECTION:
;; sandgnat.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
com. 7h45m57s IN NS A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS G.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS H.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS C.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS I.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS B.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS D.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS L.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS F.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS J.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS K.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS E.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
com. 7h45m57s IN NS M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.

;; Total query time: 159 msec
;; FROM: pegmatite.sentex.ca to SERVER: 205.166.226.38
;; WHEN: Thu Feb 5 17:39:13 2004
;; MSG SIZE sent: 30 rcvd: 462

[damian]@[pegmatite]:[~]% dig @NS2.GRANITECANYON.COM sandgnat.com soa
+noaddit

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @NS2.GRANITECANYON.COM sandgnat.com soa +noaddit
; (1 server found)
;; res_nsend: Operation timed out
[damian]@[pegmatite]:[~]%

And the tertiary -- ns1.sandgnat.com -- isn't responding:

[damian]@[pegmatite]:[~]% dig @NS1.SANDGNAT.COM sandgnat.com soa +noaddit

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @NS1.SANDGNAT.COM sandgnat.com soa +noaddit
; (1 server found)
;; res_nsend: Operation timed out
[damian]@[pegmatite]:[~]%

A traceroute for me dies at 65.126.82.34, after traversing Qwest.
RE: Sandgnat.com Down - RulesDuJour Affected [ In reply to ]
Yep, that's what I'm seeing.

I'd run a trace but I can't even resolve the domain at this point. The
"my_rules_du_jour_" script is hanging up while running wget to download
an updated script.

Re: Sandgnat.com Down - RulesDuJour Affected [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Nathan Johanson (nathan@tcpnetworks.net) [05/02/04 17:47]:
> I'd run a trace but I can't even resolve the domain at this point. The
> "my_rules_du_jour_" script is hanging up while running wget to download
> an updated script.

Edit the script, and add this line right above the TMPDIR line:

DONT_CHECK_FOR_RDJ_UPDATES=1

That should stop it from trying to check for updates for itself (in theory,
I haven't tested it).
Re: Sandgnat.com Down - RulesDuJour Affected [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Damian Gerow (freebsd@coal.sentex.ca) [05/02/04 17:50]:
> Edit the script, and add this line right above the TMPDIR line:
>
> DONT_CHECK_FOR_RDJ_UPDATES=1
>
> That should stop it from trying to check for updates for itself (in theory,
> I haven't tested it).

Gah, hit enter too soon.

Note that this is for rules_du_jour, /not/ my_rules_du_jour. I don't have
(and can't get, for obvious reasons) a copy of the latter.
RE: Sandgnat.com Down - RulesDuJour Affected [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the tip. I noticed when moving to version 1.8 of the script
this afternon.

I figured I would give it until this evening before the next cronjob.
I'm sure others are bound to notice. It's probably not a "local" issue,
(as judging from your email address) you appear to be in Canada and I'm
in California. We'll see.

Nathan